Hauraki Gulf

Page  123 5>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hauraki Gulf
    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 8:14am
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Of interest.
Article mentions "largely removing trawl fishing", "more reserves" and "catch setting".
Not a full article so I suspect the "more to come" at the bottom means a fuller more detailed article in the near future.

Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 8:40am
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds like good news and some progress.  More details to be announced this morning i heard on radio

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 10:26am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Here is a press release from DOC with all the relevant stuff, 

Here is a summary of the plan, the really pertinent map is on page 12 where it shows the various protected areas, looks like the Mokohinau's are gone, also looks like the Alderman Pins and part of/or all of the Alderman Islands (bit hard to tell on the map) are also gone.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 10:35am
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Screenshots of the relevant pages.  Mokes split ...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 1:29pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 2:33pm
kingiFiddla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The Mokes? Say it ain't so.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 2:58pm
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by letsgetem letsgetem wrote:

That picture does not show in detail what is being recommended. 

Here is more detail = does this match what you wanted to post Letsgetem?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 3:38pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not a fan of 10a for sure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 4:02pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There is very little detail as to what controls/restrictions are going to be put in place and from what I can gather there is still going to be a lot of community consultation to determine what changes/restrictions will occur in these areas.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 4:17pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There are some Customary rights and Treaty issues to be sorted on those Reserve areas.
Heard it on nat radio this arvo.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 4:56pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

There are some Customary rights ...
If I understood something Parker said in regard to these areas, he said that commercial and recreational would have restrictions but no mention of customary
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 5:00pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thats because the discussions for Customary and Treaty bits are yet to come. There was a Hauraki Iwi spokesmanon during sometime on that discussion - implying that they still have access to those areas.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 5:14pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There is a lot to read and understand here.

Devil in detail.
There will be a lot of cross referencing documents, opinions and statistics.
Each of which has to be read and quantified as to its legitimacy based on its authors.

They say they will still consult the community to progress. By the way the public are not the community if you ain't figured that out.
There is no sign of any community consultation unless your community has a vested interest and you are the right shade of green.
Acceptable green, is the dollar, sandal wearer, tattooed environmentalist with a track record of environmental ongoing destruction based at the dole pa sites spread around the country.
And most importantly the green bureau 's that fill every nook and cranny of any institution that actually makes things not happen.

Otherwise it's a start right.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 5:25pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

[QUOTE=MATTOO]They say they....../QUOTE]Don't watch Breakfast anymore as I cant stand Campbell but from what i listened to via fb, it seems everybody else was invoted to comment except for Legasea & the commercial sector. If this is correct my question is why not?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 5:27pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I herd today on radio that recreational scallop dreading will be banned.... which doesn't bother me as I dive but I can understand that a lot of people out there are gonna be pretty pissed off with that call, All the while commercial dredging will still be going ahead.
I hate dredges but coms surly would do way way more damage correct? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote r20b_pp@hotmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 5:55pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Anything has got to be a good thing I fish 10a aswell, just go out on a weekend in breeding season and you can understand why it needs to be done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 6:12pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Haha exactly.
What makes it worse is it’s shallow and all this does is push you deeper making releasing them that much harder.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 8:03pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What do they mean by seafloor protection area?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 8:10pm
kingiFiddla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

No dredging? Am keen to see exactly what activities a "high protection area" excludes and also what the cultural accommodations for area 8a will be, if any. I mean if they say if you can paddle your waka out there then good luck to ya, catch what you can, then maybe there's hope for my kayak still. It'll need it if it's out there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 8:22pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kingiFiddla kingiFiddla wrote:

No dredging?...
"While the strategy will set up 18 new marine protection areas, 11 of these - the new high protection areas - will include a provision for customary practices." Parker added to this by saying recreational & commercial will be excluded.

"ACT supports marine reserves, but allowing some Māori to customary take in a fishing reserve makes the policy more about race than fishing."

Page  123 5>