Hauraki Gulf

Page  <1 2345>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 5:17pm
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by kingiFiddla kingiFiddla wrote:

Why do we need 3 kingfish a day? Drop it to one
Point taken Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 5:46pm
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

[QUOTE=Hook-it] [QUOTE=Muppet]
Again said many times putting your money where your mouth is with a recreational license like the freshwater guys is the only way forward for recs.
 [/QUOTE

A license could enable so many things like more/improved ramps, facilities and even projects like fish hatcheries. Even having a proper voice in decisions on reserves which I am not against just not how they are decided on and by whom.

I agree with Tzer on the actual size of the Gulf. East coast of Coromandel, really?

Improved boat ramps, Up to councils using ratepayer money.
Fish Hatcheries , for what type of fish ? Be realistic.
Proper voice , Is than not we joined Legasea for ?
Voice on reserves. Those involved would not have you fishing in the sea full stop.
Tzer is very correct if it is the Gulf they target then leave Eastern Cro alone. 
We have done this one before Muppet I said then no license in my life time . You may be able to go hard on your plan soon as the years are fast catching up on me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 5:59pm
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Hook-it Hook-it wrote:

Point taken Smile

Good point - maybe 2 would be a good start. And why is the kingfish limit included with puka of all things. Speaking of which, who needs 5 puka per day. And 5 bluenose - they are a separate limit within the 20 mixed-bag limit.

- 2 kings, 2 puka, 2 bluenose.
- Follow up on the no-discards rule being introduced for comms, & do away with the size limit for snapper. 7 fish (east coast) - you keep whatever you catch. If you catch 7 at 20cm that's what you take home. Might help stop the damage done dragging countless undersize snapper out of 30m. Most will die, even if they 'swim away strongly'.
- A licence to fish would be acceptable, but allow people to chose from several options as to where their fee will be spent.
- Encourage boat owners to do at least a Day Skipper course by allowing it to function as their fishing licence. Or perhaps even their annual Coastguard membership.
- Follow up on recent reports of huge numbers of pink maomao being plundered by recs. Putting them into the 20-bag limit would take - what - 5 minutes ?
treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 6:02pm
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Muppet. <br>[/QUOTE Muppet. 
[/QUOTE wrote:

I agree with nearly all you say Hook It your sentiment is right. Population growth is only a small part of the problem though in reality. The vast majority of fishos are still probably “kiwis”. Besides the immigrants should get to enjoy the lifestyle they moved here for should they not?

Access to money to finance the boat and all the gear is vastly easier for a lot of people through various means. Add on a good number of land based fishos, the kayakers and long liners from the beach who cover cheaper forms of fishing.
The remarkable thing is all forms work and do catch a lot of fish which is why I always doubt how bad things really are.
I would say us fishermen who are out often and see with our eyes and indeed fishfinders know a lot more than said experts telling us what is what.

I agree with nearly all you say Hook It your sentiment is right. Population growth is only a small part of the problem though in reality. The vast majority of fishos are still probably “kiwis”. Besides the immigrants should get to enjoy the lifestyle they moved here for should they not?

Access to money to finance the boat and all the gear is vastly easier for a lot of people through various means. Add on a good number of land based fishos, the kayakers and long liners from the beach who cover cheaper forms of fishing.
The remarkable thing is all forms work and do catch a lot of fish which is why I always doubt how bad things really are.
I would say us fishermen who are out often and see with our eyes and indeed fishfinders know a lot more than said experts telling us what is what.[/QUOTE]

Missed this post Muppet, but all good.
Immigrants, did they move here for the fishing or to escape the **** hole they were living in. 
Enjoy this country/life style, they are entitled to do that as tax payers, no argument there.
Yes, experts, also do not see the small under sized fish I see being filleted by those that moved to New Zealand for a better lifestyle. That was a good point you made re experts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 6:21pm
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by waynorth waynorth wrote:

Point taken Smile

Good point - maybe 2 would be a good start. And why is the kingfish limit included with puka of all things. Speaking of which, who needs 5 puka per day. And 5 bluenose - they are a separate limit within the 20 mixed-bag limit.

- Follow up on the no-discards rule being introduced for comms, & do away with the size limit for snapper. 7 fish (east coast) - you keep whatever you catch. If you catch 7 at 20cm that's what you take home. Might help stop the damage done dragging countless undersize snapper out of 30m. Most will die, even if they 'swim away strongly'.
- A licence to fish would be acceptable, but allow people to chose from several options as to where their fee will be spent.
- Encourage boat owners to do at least a Day Skipper course by allowing it to function as their fishing licence. Or perhaps even their annual Coastguard membership.
- Follow up on recent reports of huge numbers of pink maomao being plundered by recs. Putting them into the 20-bag limit would take - what - 5 minutes ?
Waynorth ,I go along with most of what you say for sure.
A license to fish would be acceptable , "but allow people to chose from several options as to where their money would be spent". Several options would be made up of what ?
Yes on the button. I would go along with that, day skipper ect function as fishing license ect. Well done..
In saying that , that after doing your courses with coastguard that they become a recognized qualification. I have up to yacht master but no qualification as such.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 6:33pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Point taken Smile

suggested before to keep what catch but how do police it??fisherman honest folk,yeah right.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 7:40pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Charter market, high end fishing comp'salso.
What has happened over the years with most reserves created it pushes fishers into other areas, this in turn depletes that area very quickly so to speak. We all know one of the biggest problem's, NZ'S FAST GROWING POPULATION.
Some of the problem could be handled, (ouch), with again dropping the daily catch of fishers to three Snaps that is enough for a feed. Leave all other species at the same level . No Cray's/Scollop's for two/three years for 'any' person/ group or what ever at all for that period.
If stopping the small amount of Rec dredging, then Stop all com, dredging .
No Nets/ trawling also
No long lines.

Read an article on whitebaiting controls recently. What, nothing has changed. 
That is also simple. 
One month only. reduce set net size, no wings to be more that 1m long and no selling of bait to any person/company ect. Or make baiting Bi Annual, would give the little chaps a better go , called sustainability. My call on the job anyway . 

I would say us fishermen who are out often and see with our eyes and indeed fishfinders know a lot more than said experts telling us what is what.

What you say here is very much the case, I prefer to believe what I see each and everyday out fishing and not what is read on a piece of paper. As when having read some report stating the a species is in dire straights such as Tarakihi for example, yet when out here just about every spot hold good numbers of Tarakihi. If fishing was that bad then why do we so many great catches being posted to facebook and even here, before the invent of digital cameras your photos were film based but you had to then keep them to brag about your catches, these days you can just upload for the whole world to see. What you need to remember is that those touting the propganda line that our fisheries are stuffed are nothing more than self appointed experts who in my view let their own ideals/opinions as facts rather than tell the whole story. Remember the old saying "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story" or lie depending on how you view that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 7:53pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Point taken Smile

Waynorth, I actually had a fisheries officer tell me exactly the same thing many years ago. As long as you adhered to set bag limits why have size limit. While many of us would take snapper for example at 30cm a lot of other cultures would take them much smaller, each to their own. Would creatainly make it easier for MPI to check and perhaps we wouldnt see the online abuse that gets posted about some groups taking small undersize fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 8:20pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Tzer Tzer wrote:

Charter market, high end fishing comp'salso.
What has happened over the years with most reserves created it pushes fishers into other areas, this in turn depletes that area very quickly so to speak. We all know one of the biggest problem's, NZ'S FAST GROWING POPULATION.
Some of the problem could be handled, (ouch), with again dropping the daily catch of fishers to three Snaps that is enough for a feed. Leave all other species at the same level . No Cray's/Scollop's for two/three years for 'any' person/ group or what ever at all for that period.
If stopping the small amount of Rec dredging, then Stop all com, dredging .
No Nets/ trawling also
No long lines.

Read an article on whitebaiting controls recently. What, nothing has changed. 
That is also simple. 
One month only. reduce set net size, no wings to be more that 1m long and no selling of bait to any person/company ect. Or make baiting Bi Annual, would give the little chaps a better go , called sustainability. My call on the job anyway . 

What you say here is very much the case, I prefer to believe what I see each and everyday out fishing and not what is read on a piece of paper. As when having read some report stating the a species is in dire straights such as Tarakihi for example, yet when out here just about every spot hold good numbers of Tarakihi. If fishing was that bad then why do we so many great catches being posted to facebook and even here, before the invent of digital cameras your photos were film based but you had to then keep them to brag about your catches, these days you can just upload for the whole world to see. What you need to remember is that those touting the propganda line that our fisheries are stuffed are nothing more than self appointed experts who in my view let their own ideals/opinions as facts rather than tell the whole story. Remember the old saying "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story" or lie depending on how you view that.

Totally agree Tzer.
I listened in astonishment at a guy yesterday on the radio saying he does not catch gurnard and JDs in the Gulf anymore because they are so low in numbers.

And that was a “fisherman”. It possibly never occurred to him that his skills are lacking.

The general public would watch the news and probably think the seas are empty and we fish 24/7 getting our pillage. Well that’s the way the media certainly like to portray it.
I am constantly impressed by how much fish I come across and this is inshore in my kayak. Crazy amounts sometimes, what I catch and take is a pin prick on what I see.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 10:24pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If still allowed 2 kings suits me fine, normally would only take one, if any. Few snapper,  6 as is would be good. Gurnard should probably drop limit to 12. 
Trawling in gulf .. happy with ban in area recommended,  but my understanding not been happening for years in inner gulf, tiri to noises, because coms respect rec rights in here but also too way too many juvenile fish. New catch protocol of landing everything combined with ban trawling inshore areas probably good move. One of reasons why have few more gurnard in here now off Bays.
Bloody weather means I haven’t been fishing off ECB for couple months now, fish stocks should be ok when get out next.
I haven’t studied detail so comments above predicated on my basic understanding... feel free to correct me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 6:04am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fishing licence tend to agree we should pay a fee.as suggested could be for ramps etc But not paying a fee and letting advocacy groups battle it out what clout do we have.yep can say no one fish for 6 months proves nothing but pay a fee then decide in mass we not going to pay then what 2 or 3 thousand get fines and waste court time protests have been mentioned before but wouldn't fisheries just go Oh hum.and carry on We have no clout but a fee would make us true stakeholders
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 7:53am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The idea of a fishing license keeps coming up every now and then, but it seems impractical to me.  The costs of setting it up and administering it would be huge, and as it would have to be self funding that would all have to come out of what was paid making it expensive.  And who is going to police 15,000km of coastline?  There would also inevitably be issues around customary fishing rights.  

Personally I'm against it as I believe it penalizes the occasional fisher who perhaps takes the kids out fishing a few times a year.  Most of you guys are hard core fishermen, but there are plenty of people who only fish a few times a year.  I wouldn't want to see anything to discourage this.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 8:30am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes Kevin but they are the people who care.
You can buy a freshwater license from a tackle shop. A saltwater could be the same. Tell you what under 18’s free and should always be.
It works in Australia, Florida and other top saltwater destinations around the globe.
I don’t see how we don’t view ourselves and our fishery in the same league.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 8:52am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Stopping fishing in some parts of the Gulf, is not going to make a significant difference to the rest of the gulf. A bigger, and much harder to solve, problem - is pollution from human activities on land. Particularly, sedimentation affecting estuaries which are vital for juvenile snapper.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2021 at 10:12am
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I still see trawlers in the Gulf, recently within one kilometer of the black rocks.

And yeah, my skills must be lacking, as out by the black rocks, I seem to catch large numbers of undesired fish. It's rare for me to stumble upon a school of decent size fish.
I don't have the time or patience to get that good at it.
But 10 years ago, a decent feed was easy.

I'm not sure what to believe anymore.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2021 at 10:58am
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Big -Dave Big -Dave wrote:

I still see trawlers in the Gulf, recently within one kilometer of the black rocks.

And yeah, my skills must be lacking, as out by the black rocks, I seem to catch large numbers of undesired fish. It's rare for me to stumble upon a school of decent size fish.

Yup.
I am the same.
Maybe stop the trawlers from targeting the migrational spawning routes for a month to let a few thousand more through.
I do not know.
Just thinking out loud.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2021 at 1:17pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by v8-coupe v8-coupe wrote:

Yup.
I am the same.
Maybe stop the trawlers from targeting the migrational spawning routes for a month to let a few thousand more through.
I do not know.
Just thinking out loud.

Why fish there though when right now there is a load of gurnard moved inshore in the Gulf.
The snapper have largely cleared off allowing the baits to stay down longer for the carrots to get them.
Doing what you always do does not work all the time. It has been demonstrated time and again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2021 at 1:24pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I hear what you are saying Muppet, I do try different rigs, baits, locations, along the rocky kelp shoreline, out deep on the worm beds, on a few reefs I know..I do need to up skill, I now go out alone so I can dawdle all day and try different options.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2021 at 1:36pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by v8-coupe v8-coupe wrote:

Yup.
I am the same.
I do not know.
Just thinking out loud.

Why fish there though when right now there is a load of gurnard moved inshore in the Gulf.
The snapper have largely cleared off allowing the baits to stay down longer for the carrots to get them.
Doing what you always do does not work all the time. It has been demonstrated time and again.

I fish for Gurnard in Smudges patch. Wink
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2021 at 2:14pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I hear what you are saying Muppet, I do try different rigs, baits, locations, along the rocky kelp shoreline, out deep on the worm beds, on a few reefs I know..I do need to up skill, I now go out alone so I can dawdle all day and try different options.

Thing is Dave very little skill required.
Ignore the reefs etc anchor on beds drop your barley and send out appropriate gurnard rigs on a couple of rods. Relaxing fishing unless the gurnard go bonkers. 😂
Page  <1 2345>