ELECTRIC VEHICLES (EVS)

Page  <1 1415161718 24>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 12:48pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hybrid if I was to buy .Uses EV power around town and that is where most of the CO2 emmisions are and use the petrol part for towing etc.makes perfect sense to me. Diesel produces less than petrol.
LPG 33% less again
Maybe not cng though

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 4:15pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I was always under the impression that diesels were cleaner than petrol vehicles by way of the amount of milage you get from a tank of fuel.... diesels use about half the amount as petrol.
I get it that its a dirtier fuel to burn.
Completely agree with comments regarding our power generation capabilities. It just seems so unbelievably short sited by our government that it defies belief.
At the moment there are companies seeking to obtain permits to mine coal down in the south island. You can guarantee that a bunch of greenie f--kwits will block it thinking they are doing us all a favour and saving the world  and all the time  we are still shipping low grade filthy coal from Indonesia weekly. And it will never stop unless half our population is quite happy to live without electricity.which I doubt.
I have noticed our gas bill has gone up a lot from this time last year.
We have be installing gas califont hot water heating systems for pretty much every client I have built a house for in the past 30 years. This was done as it adds up as the most efficient way to heat water... ( you only heat what you use) Even if you have to use bottles it still works out cheaper. Customers are doing the power companys a huge favour by choosing gas... I bet if every house went back to power the grid would crash.
Tack on a few thousand EVs that all switch on at the same time and watch the good times roll.
Its this sort of thing that will eventually bring the government down. The cost of running a house is set to sky rocket.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 5:01pm
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

How is encouraging people to buy EV's helping the environment, as I understand it burning coal is worse than burning petrol so isn't this going to make our emissions worse instead of better?

I think its to do with the turbine efficiency ?

I HAVE DELETED MY LINK AS I THINK IT MAY CONTAIN A VIRUS, sorry if anyone has clicked on it. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 5:16pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by reel crayze reel crayze wrote:

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

How is encouraging people to buy EV's helping the environment, as I understand it burning coal is worse than burning petrol so isn't this going to make our emissions worse instead of better?

I think its to do with the turbine efficiency ?

Their logic seems a little flawed.  They are saying if 90% of a countries electricity is from renewable sources then 90% of the electricity that powers an EV is green.  But all our renewable sourced electricity is currently being used up just to supply our current needs, and we are having to top up with coal powered electricity already.  So any additional power requirements, for example EV's, will be 100% powered by coal.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 6:56pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

And evades the fact that is not the actual goal.

Coal is very much on the no go of the climate change agenda.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 5:26pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 6:00pm
kingiFiddla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

It's much sooner than that Muppet. Sometime before 13th January 2024. Hopefully Jacinda calls it early and we can vote these idjits out and install the next crew of idjits.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 6:59pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wasn't it supposed to be 2012?
Funny how humans are constantly hung up on there own demise.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 8:55pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

2030 was mooted, now it is being seemingly stretched out again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 7:37am
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 9:08am
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Something to think about.
Without coal, there is no steel.
Cheers.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 9:33am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by v8-coupe v8-coupe wrote:

Cheers.

Countries such as Sweden do not have coal yet still produce steel & is the reason they invented the Bessemer furnace.

Not sure what method NZ uses but in any event guess you are correct
inasmuch as in any event regardless of coal or electricity it appears given the current situation it will be reliant on coal.

Then again ... how important is steel production to NZ when the "drop in the bucket " maximum potential production is nowhere near enough to satisfy our usage.

Can but wonder where we would be now had Pike River Coal been in full production supplying the cleanest burning coal globally.

Probably no different than what it is now, as it was in true Kiwi fashion all scheduled to be exported to India anyway,
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 12:29pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

Cheers.

Countries such as Sweden do not have coal yet still produce steel & is the reason they invented the Bessemer furnace.

inasmuch as in any event regardless of coal or electricity it appears given the current situation it will be reliant on coal.

Then again ... how important is steel production to NZ when the "drop in the bucket " maximum potential production is nowhere near enough to satisfy our usage.

Can but wonder where we would be now had Pike River Coal been in full production supplying the cleanest burning coal globally.

Probably no different than what it is now, as it was in true Kiwi fashion all scheduled to be exported to India anyway,

I work for NZ Steel, the only steel maker in the country. We are possibly the biggest user of coal outside of the power generation companies although Portland Cement may be up there too.

We would never get the investment to significantly change our operation. While small on an international scale we make a heap of the stuff. 

Almost all of our coal now comes from Indonesia (I think) and it is not the same quality - or cost - of NZ Coal. Steel from China is much cheaper and the cheap stuff is poor quality. I'm pretty sure the green brigade don't care if NZ Steel shuts down and we just import more poor quality steel that's not made with any care for the environment. Good old NIMBY's
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 1:36pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

Cheers.

Ha ha.
Was not thinking of little ol NZ.
Thinking of the rest of the world.
Interesting process, hence the term "blast furnace".
I do however suspect they still needed some form of fuel to melt the pig iron.
Coal maybe. Wink
Of course that is only until 2017.
Things may have improved since then.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 4:00pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Coalship arrived Wednesday  and Gleson cox spent all day/night transporting it to their wiri yard and today spent it trucking it too Huntly and its NOT going to stop anytime soon.Glenbrook mil uses Huntly coal and should a train load there shortly.

Coal train was leaving earlier today heading north.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 4:43pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Rhetoric vs reality summed up here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 9:48pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I’m curious what happens to NZ steel? I buy from New Zealand business a gate or wrought iron fence it’s from Vietnam, I buy a trailer it’s from a China. ? Both have lasted very well for years. Never had a problem and wrapped with the quality. Our steel I assume is more expensive otherwise importing steal wouldn’t be what’s happening. ... those in the industry please school me in a summary of the situation in the industry. Do we need to make steal?
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 10:05pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

https://www.nzsteel.co.nz/

I would say most products are quite useful
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 11:26pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

I’m curious what happens to NZ steel? I buy from New Zealand business a gate or wrought iron fence it’s from Vietnam, I buy a trailer it’s from a China. ? Both have lasted very well for years. Never had a problem and wrapped with the quality. Our steel I assume is more expensive otherwise importing steal wouldn’t be what’s happening. ... those in the industry please school me in a summary of the situation in the industry. Do we need to make steal?

Our biggest product is Colour Steel. Yep, a wrought iron gate is a gate. Pretty much doesn't matter how good the steel quality is. Bridges & buildings are a little different.  We've had a few instances in NZ where cheap steel has caused one or two issues. One thing that covid should have taught us is the importance of being as self sufficient as possible. Ironically our biggest costs are coal (when locally supplied), gas & electricity.  We pay between $200 & $700 per MW for our power. There are days when we don't run because our energy costs are too high and we would lose money for every tonne we make. 

no we don't need to make steel, but we also don't need to import it either. Especially if it is low grade. Just like we don't need to import timber which we grow here - send overseas and import it back, along with a whole lot of other building materials. We don't need to import meat, but we do. Huge amounts of beef & pork especially - because it's 'cheaper'. We don't need to import fish - but we do. Tuna, salmon, sardines etc. 

It's a funny old world.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 7:01am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thanks Smudge, some good comparisons there that help me understand. We make good quality expensive steel like meat and timber and sell overseas and or we outsource the product add value part ( guessing cheaper labour costs) and import back.

Something that caught my interest is the figures between $200 and $700 a MW. There is a huge variance there. Imagine if that was your unlimited internet monthly charge !  But understand many variables and natural events ect dictate there. My question. How does that price compare with other countries? Is there a graph comparison anywhere ?
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Page  <1 1415161718 24>