ELECTRIC VEHICLES (EVS)

Page  <1 21222324>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 8:36am
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 9:10am
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 1:46pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

and then you get political problems outlined in this straya knocking clip

The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 2:16pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Watched a pretty good documentary on the planet climate etc on Sunday. The scientists still predict an ice age is coming despite the human C02 output. Within 15,000 years.

There was still a lot of unexplained climate events in the past.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 2:42pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

on that link there is a bit about hydrogen also Muppet
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 7:05pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Watched a pretty good documentary on the planet climate etc on Sunday. The scientists still predict an ice age is coming despite the human C02 output. Within 15,000 years.

There was still a lot of unexplained climate events in the past.

The trouble is the changes are not on the time scale of 100,000 100,000 or 1.000,000 years.

Just the scale  of 100 years. Its exponential and its happening.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 7:13pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

on that link there is a bit about hydrogen also Muppet

The best thing about that link was obvious 😂

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 8:01pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Muppet you filthy pigLOL I’m in good company haha 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 8:05pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

She's good I will give her that. 
Very very good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 9:13am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wonder how Jimmy is enjoying Glasgow?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 9:51am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Just caught up with my part time job, so decided to try reading thru this thread.

I'll state my position right now - I'm a greenie.  We bought a Nissan Leaf late last year.  So far we're loving it.
Positive
- very low running costs for the time being (but the battery disposal is a concern).
- no carbon emissions while driving it (but see power generation comments below)
- Great to drive it into the garage and not fill the garage with petrol fumes.
- quiet, comfortable and easy to drive
- potential to use "spent" battery as a storage battery for our soon-to-be-installed solar panels (but eye-watering cost to set this up?)
EV negatives
- high energy and carbon cost in manufacture
- small amount of cobalt of questionable sustainability
- range anxiety while driving (ours has a claimed range of 95 kms when the battery is 80% full - but real life range on motorways closer to 60 Kms)
- basically just a round town shopping cart
- high depreciation/loss of value
- the battery will be down to 70% state of health in 2 to 3 years and at this stage we'll have to give it away, or maybe replace the battery if a viable option is available.

To comment on some of the early contributions to this thread, they read like a conspiracy theory.
The government is dealing with a climate crisis - read the news.
Early EV's are somewhat experimental and not fully developed and supported in NZ.
That is not to say they don't have great potential, and that most governments see a great future in them.
Despite all the pessimists, battery disposal and recycling is being planned, but I agree that right now, options are few or very expensive. 
"The global EV battery recycling market is expected to exhibit 19% compound annual growth rate between 2019-25 with the total value of about US$ 3 billion by 2025"
The percentage of carbon fuels in generating or electricity in NZ averages around 20%.  It may peak at 40% on cold windless days in winter but so what?
Electric utes will be available in NZ within 2 years.  While I feel for hard-pressed farmers having to pay a $3000 premium for a gas guzzler there is a net societal benefit.

Just to complete the picture, I have an electric bicycle.  I sold a Honda 110cc scooter and a non-electric bike to pay for it.  To be honest I don't use the electric bike much, but it's nice to have it.

We've ordered solar panels for installation in October.  As far as I can see, they will pay for themselves in under 10 years, so a good investment.  They have the sunk-carbon cost of manufacture as a negative, but over their life they will be carbon positive.  By reducing our use of electricity from the grid, we are providing a societal economic  benefit. So far we haven't committed to battery storage but we'll consider our options when the Leaf battery needs upgrading.

I expect the above comments to be ripped apart, but I don't mind and won't respond.  However comments on the SX4 replacement below are very welcome and I'll reply where necessary.

I use a Suzuki SX4 for towing my wee FC390 boat.  No plans to upgrade the boat, but will consider hybrid or EV replacement for the SX4 when needed.  Needs to have 4WD, and so far second hand 4WD hybrids are over $25000, so a bit dear compared to the SX4.  I have a minor concern about EVs when launching in salt water.  Corrosion and electrical problems?

Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 10:14am
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That because we have a few E.V. s in NZ now ....Wink
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 10:27am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I expect the above comments to be ripped apart,

OK will do my best.

- potential to use "spent" battery as a storage battery for our soon-to-be-installed solar panels (but eye-watering cost to set this up?)

Will your car be at home plugged in when the sun is up?

If have a hot water cyclinder, that is in effect a energy storage 'battery'.. so if have gas water heating .. keep the hot water cyclinder.. the pre solar  heated water from the cylinder can go thru the gas heater.
 We have gas for the hob and water.. no cylinder.. If I find a good well priced 2nd hand will put it in. Connect to take only excess back to the grid energy production)

We got solar panels near couple yrs back (no batteries cant afford that.).. they calc 12 panels.. I did calculations we got 14 panels..  which after near 2 yrs gives the ideal 50 % direct use solar , and on ave cuts grid by 50%... which happens to be the most economical all round balance .. no batteries... and set up for batteries later.

Funny u meant the E bike, yep we have one but sorta got put the the back of the shed when moved here a while back.. yesterday got it out, washed the dust off, pumped up the tyres, took for a ride,  and cant figure out which key is for removing the battery..doent matter at this point...

PS our electric power bill  mid spring to mid autumn gets cut by around 65/70%  .. winter ave to around 35/40%.  That induces the 12 c /kwh back to grid.
 Originally the pay back time was about 11/12yrs.. with current power increases etc its now down around the 9 yrs over all.

We are not greenies as such .. its just cost effective to compost, solar panels, couple bc tanks washing cars, boat, house windows etc.. with no mineral spots
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 11:16am
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

and then you get political problems outlined in this straya knocking clip

Reel Deal, this is classic,, she should be our next prime minister Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 11:29am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

haha TJM, I can watch it  over and still get a chuckle. It’s actually 2 different ladies that look similar. They have been around a while and have a research team and political journalists behind them. Australia Go took them to court to ban them from bagging the government and in the end their only argument was that the logo they use looks too close to Strayas which the court ruled against and the ladies did a great bagging clip covering it hahaha.

Refreshing to take a scalpel to spin and expose straight agendas haha.makes all the powers re adjust their underwear.

Far Quirk I won’t bag you. Full respect for doing something, my hat to you !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 11:44am
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We need more of this type of thing in NZ but it seems many people in this country are far too precious to see the funny side of political and race related issues.

We saw what occurred in France with the cartoonist, again the human race is far too serious at times Ouch  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 12:15pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Clap totally agree but by doing so I’m a conspiracy theorist, racist, privileged, colonialist, terrorist. 

One day it will be realised we are all the same - people, who want the best for the community and environment and live a happy life…..long way between the growing cavernous gap of these two realities 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 12:17pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think there are electric utes in NZ. There was one advertised on tv a month or so back
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 12:43pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Far Quirk Far Quirk wrote:

I use a Suzuki SX4 for towing my wee FC390 boat.  No plans to upgrade the boat, but will consider hybrid or EV replacement for the SX4 when needed.  Needs to have 4WD, and so far second hand 4WD hybrids are over $25000, so a bit dear compared to the SX4.  I have a minor concern about EVs when launching in salt water.  Corrosion and electrical problems?

If you are only using it for towing the boat I would keep it as long as possible.  Unless you fish a lot, and at places a long way from home then the annual usage will be quite low.  EV's don't make much sense unless they are being used a reasonable amount.  The environmental impact of the manufacture of a new vehicle will probably be more than the impact of using the SX4.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 1:10pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Like so many things I think FQs post highlights the entire problem in a nutshell.
The question of trade offs. Because it’s plain obvious there is no solution to the entirety of the issue.

I have highlighted Norway before as having the largest EV fleet. This is the fact behind it though.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/12/norway-votes-but-is-europes-biggest-oil-giant-ready-to-go-green

You could argue their government is doing something about climate change with its EVs. But the reality is contradictory to say the least.
To say our government is fighting CC but the reality is have we just not landed record amounts of coal?

On a personal level with regards to buying electric cars, solar panels, have said all along so what you will because it’s your money.
Page  <1 21222324>