Ford F150 lightening.

Page  <1 45678 9>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 7:08am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

mandatory can be changed to subsidised, tax relief or sweetener. 
Same result 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 7:09am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thinking about it there are many things in our lives that are mandatory like tax, rates even death 😜
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 7:40am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

And leaky roofs as I like to tell the various builders πŸ˜‚
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 8:23am
kingiFiddla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Household charging of the ute from rooftop solar is a bit unrealistic. The extended range model will suck about 10 times the average daily household lecky use to charge. How much are we going to spend to install the capacity needed to handle that and the household needs, even if there was enough roof area to handle all the panels? Too much.

If the govt subsidises installation of household generation, how are they going to keep network providers profitable with the resulting dwindling revenues? allow them to charge a shedload more, so those who don't have an EV have to subsidise those that do?

Given the infrastructure needs massive capital outlays to meet the lofty goals the govt has set, who's paying for that and what mix of distributed and central generation is the govt going to encourage? Massively tricky issues to get right for the country.

There are going to be people really hurting through the coming transformation. Are Kiwis going to be able to handle it without seeking the temporary respite of chucking one govt out and installing a new one that promises an easier passage through life? I guess we'll see.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 12:26pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Agree KF.
So much of what is being talked is BS on the part of the Govt. 
For instance Jacinda has stated we will be 100% renewable for energy by end of decade.
That means replacing our 15% FF. Of which 10% is gas.
The Climate Change doc has come out and said not feasible nor practical and we need to retain the gas generation capacity.
Now what for jacinda - she has already banned any new gas exploration - so do we end up in the stupid position of running our gas reserves down and then importing gas??? Nuts.
The option of pumping water for storage they completely dumped - ridiculously expensive. Similarly, replacing the gas component  makes that last 10% ridiculously expensive.
Don't worry KF - the poorer sector of the population will get Govt 'help' to transition. Read more wealth transfer.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 1:45pm
Gold
Gold

Good spotting on the gas issue.
Another is the 12,000 Ha (this year) rising to 25,000 Ha of native forest planting annually.  I'll be keen to see where this will be and for how long they have modelled it, especially in the context of the additional wind farm generation capacity that needs to be installed. I mean, it wouldn't surprise me if by the time the additional forests start supporting significantly bigger populations of native birds, someone at the top levels of parliament might actually wonder if it was a good idea to plant bigger forests right where wind farms can kill the extra birds.

The roadmap or whatever it is called at the time, that the govt intends to release in December will be an astonishing piece of work if they get even close to achieving recommendations without killing livelihoods and pissing off too many of the voting public. I don't envy this govt and do admire their willingness to take a stab at it rather than kick the can further down the road. It may be their political demise unless they can build a strong case for its acceptance amongst the voting public. I wish them good luck with that. They are going to need it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 2:53pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Agree KF.
So much of what is being talked is BS on the part of the Govt. 
For instance Jacinda has stated we will be 100% renewable for energy by end of decade.
That means replacing our 15% FF. Of which 10% is gas.
The Climate Change doc has come out and said not feasible nor practical and we need to retain the gas generation capacity.
Now what for jacinda - she has already banned any new gas exploration - so do we end up in the stupid position of running our gas reserves down and then importing gas??? Nuts.
The option of pumping water for storage they completely dumped - ridiculously expensive. Similarly, replacing the gas component  makes that last 10% ridiculously expensive.
Don't worry KF - the poorer sector of the population will get Govt 'help' to transition. Read more wealth transfer.
Alan
Post script. Just read the Govt is still investigating water pumping hydro. I think basically they are scratching to make the energy numbers add up. The Climate report has dumped it.
So again the report is at odds with where the Govt is at.
As you say KF - I don't envy Jacinda et al over the next few months coming up with something credible. Would be hard for them to stray too far from the report - they commissioned it to guide their path foward - and so much of it is inter linked. This is jacinda's nuclear moment so I would not be surprised if we get some weird results.
I pity the poor farmers - stuck between a rock and hard place where ever they go. Must be depressing trying to work thru all that.
I can see myself buying a hybrid vehicle  in the future -something like the Ford ute hybrid option 2x4wd. The longer we can wait the better they will get. Most likely not an EV, and a hybrid solar system on the house (the one that isn't 100% solar). I think power prices will climb and that helps the payback. At the moment most solar options are around a decade before payback.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 3:00pm
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The issue I see with the "report" is that it is not politically independent. A bit like the Port report to move the Auckland Port north, it started with a political agenda and then worked out how to fit that into a climate change report. 

The report itself states that the climate change goals could be achieved using the ETS at a cost of $50 per tonne of carbon but that isn't politically acceptable because it doesn't force or enable the implementation of the political agenda of the Labour Govt (and Greens to some extent). It would also require the govt to deal with the issue of bringing farming into the ETS completely, instead of kicking that can a bit further down the road.

The report costs its recommendations at the equivalent of $250 per tonne of carbon. ie 5 times as much ( and this is probably light) in doing so becomes a politically driven document aimed at the advancement of EV's and generation facilities that will struggle to meet the level of demand.

So, instead of an independent report telling the govt things it doesn't really want to hear we have a report that started at the answer, ie what does the govt want to do, and then worked out an extremely costly way to get there, and blame climate change on the way.

The politcal extremism in the report can be seen quite clearly from simply renaming "natural gas", something we all know and understand what it is, to call it something that better fits the agenda, "fossil gas", can't have the word "natural" muddying the propaganda!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 3:08pm
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Oh, and the other strange inconsistency is that we ban the importation of all ICE vehicles by 2035 but still need to spend big encouraging people to walk and cycle. Why? if EV's are dominant then there is no emission issue requiring more walking or cycling!

So why is that part of a climate change report? Social agenda perhaps?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 3:40pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The Covid thing has become a political agenda in disguise - so I doubt this will be anything different.
Agree. Weirdy beardy stuff.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 4:24pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

just a note as per the 7 solar companies I have quotes from 4 have car charging feature on their inverters. 18 panels which is a standard house solar system is fine. Just gets a bit costly upfront as a battery is needed and cheapest 10KW offered around $10k. No dramas charging lightening rig. It’s not the size of vehicle but the type of battery they have. Alan L think you are right re to soon to jump in on EV as each month there is a stunning advancement in tech. Hybrid gives you the first 30-100km on electric but you have the fossil fuel range and fuelling locations is my understanding. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 4:56pm
Gold
Gold

Reel Deal, can you post the numbers they gave you please? I'd be stoked to be proven wrong on this but every time I have looked into it over the last decade it has never, ever stacked up.

One use case that at least is theoretically possible if not economically feasible, is just using the ute in the weekends and leaving it on charge the whole week (or draw from a battery that's been on charge the whole week). But even that assumes you are getting about 20kWh a day from your array. Displacing this lecky demand, given it is so high, is going to be cheaper than grid-connect and save more than youd get from any feed-in rates available from incumbent retailers, but I still don't understand how it stacks up.

But who knows - perhaps the govt's announcements in December will herald such a massive increase in household energy charges that solar makes sense if it doesn't already.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 5:08pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Who in NZ is going to manufacture all this new green tech? Name a company who makes solar panels here and creates jobs?

Because if we don’t have some self reliance we will be beholden to other countries and it will be yet another sector we sub out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 5:14pm
Gold
Gold

It'll come from the benevolent exporter that is China. They use clean energy to make the arrays and inverters, have impeccable enviro and human standards, and have never exploited or coerced any country that has any trade dependency with them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 5:56pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Haha πŸ˜‚

Yes another issue isn’t it? How do you elbow China out the way to get to the necessary resources.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 5:57pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

But these are the questions that need to be asked if we are to serious about it. Self reliance is possibly the most important aspect.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 6:32pm
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Someone on twitter who is a Tesla fan suggested I should add a Powerwall to the mix at home.  A powerwall battery is $14,100 plus installation.  My power bill will average well under $20 per week but if I assume:
* no power from the grid is needed i.e. I run purely off solar stored in the battery
* $20 per week savings
* $14,100 price

It is more than 13 years before I have paid back the price of the battery.

In reality I will use some power from the grid and my weekly average bill at the moment will be well under $20 so that 13 years is optimistic.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 6:56pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ford also unleashing the Maverick next year as well which I guess is like a baby Ranger but is a hybrid so all those who suffer from range anxiety will be safe in the knowledge that they can still head up to the far North.... ( not that mavericks will be sold here anyways) without running out of battery juice at Wellsford.
Price point very low. Should appeal to all the inner city  type who wanna look like they are out there doing it every wkd.... when in reality...there vision of off roading is getting a wheel up on a kerb at Harvey Norman.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 7:11pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep - that is the one I posted a link to a page back. The smaller version has a towing weight of around 850kg, which is a bit limiting boat wise. The bigger version is 1800kg. The smaller one is only FWD, the bigger one is 2x4.  Looking like a good combo.
But as noted, may not be avail here - who knows. I think they would hit a spot in the market. Why not sell it??
"Price point very low. Should appeal to all the inner city  type who wanna look like they are out there doing it every wkd.... when in reality...there vision of off roading is getting a wheel up on a kerb at Harvey Norman."
LOL
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 7:15pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

https://simonlucas.co.nz/blog/towing-capacity-electric-cars

The additional weight of the batteries also adds to the total weight of the vehicle and trailer, meaning any weight added to the vehicle needs to be subtracted from the trailer, reducing the overall towing capacity. 

There was a car dealer on Newstalkzb this morning advising not to get towbar fitted to many EVs as in the hidden clauses towing is excluded and may affect warranty.
Page  <1 45678 9>