Ford F150 lightening.

Page  123 9>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford F150 lightening.
    Posted: 31 May 2021 at 7:28pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just spent a bit of time looking at the new electric truck that fords bringing out next year on Youtube.
Yes I get it.... It won't be here in NZ anytime soon, but its a sign of things to come. Never thought I would ever say this about any form of EV but the thing seems freakin awesome.
0-100kph in 4.5 seconds, Huge tow rating, front trunk ("Frunk")
and the ability to send power back into your home in the event of a power cut was pretty cool. Range wasn't bad....depended on what battery option you wanted and what I later found out was that the 230 miles it was quoted was with 250kg in the back. This was for a 40k (US dollars) truck. I recon they will be a huge hit.
Only real competition is Teslas Cyber truck and the Rivian. Both are way more expensive, (and weird) Interesting times ahead.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 7:52pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yeah EV's will be the future for sure with loads of power and very efficient. My only grumble is they aren't as green as they are made out to be. In 5 or 10 years they will be pretty good for sure
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 8:00pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There is the Q of what to do with all the dead batteries. The green answer right now is 'repurpose them'. That doesn't answer the Q.  Just passes the buck down the line. You still end up with a mountain of dead batteries at some point. Apparently we are accumulating warehouses of them now. Nowhere to go. Then if we all have an electric fleet , how do we power them? Dam all the rivers?
There are many unanswered Qs which on a small scale may not be an issue - but take it to the end result and there are major problems.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 8:19pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

There is the Q of what to do with all the dead batteries. The green answer right now is 'repurpose them'. That doesn't answer the Q.  Just passes the buck down the line. You still end up with a mountain of dead batteries at some point. Apparently we are accumulating warehouses of them now. Nowhere to go. Then if we all have an electric fleet , how do we power them? Dam all the rivers?
There are many unanswered Qs which on a small scale may not be an issue - but take it to the end result and there are major problems.
Alan

Wrap them in concrete and sell them to china or the US to keep building walls! LOL
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 5:28am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I saw it too and it ticked most my pre purchase boxes then thought it would be well over the 100k price like their fossil fuel burners. Boom well under. Keen to get if it’s still a front runner by time of release. I’m looking at solar solutions and have a few that offer car charge options. Man this electric energy and how it’s made is a exciting space 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 6:13am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Alan

Yes, the battery problem is fairly obvious but so many people don't understand the impact of charging EV's will have. Energy costs are killing manufacturing in NZ, put a million EV's on the road and we will need much more power. Maybe go nuclear? Wink In reality it is a greener option than hydro and I suspect even wind farms. A lot of carbon used in making those things.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 7:32am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"Maybe go nuclear?"

Yep - but good luck with that. Not in Jacindas lifetime.
So the energy problem becomes a big issue.
Just increasing population makes it an issue. Then electrify all our vehicle fleet.
Basically we have to swap the energy content of all our FF consumption, to electricity.
And we have limited means of doing that. 
In short we have an aspirational programme we are committing to, while relying on technology to provide an answer we don't currently have.
The methanex plant was recently put on standby to divert some of the gas production to electricity generation. Brown outs already occur, etc. And we now want to add a massive increase in power consumption to the grid.
Massive issue. Not a simple green fix people like to portray it as.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 8:51am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For New Zealand to achieve the aims of the climate change commission regarding electric vehicles we would need to find an additional 120% of our current hydro power generation.  No one has said where on earth this huge amount of electricity generation is going to come from, or where the new electricity distribution grid to move it around is coming form either.  Given the speed of infrastructure build in NZ I'd suggest we are about 30 years too late in starting to prepare for this.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 9:02am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The last new hydro capacity we built was the Clyde Dam - Muldoon era.
All our hydro generation is currently allocated, and all the low hanging fruit is already picked.
I hear the greens chanting solar. Good technology, with it's drawbacks. And a possible energy solution for many things.
But solar farms chew up large tracts of land. Some countries have large tracts of useless land to plant solar farms - eg deserts. For us it would mean substituting food production - ie GDP.
The problems are only just starting. The electricity capacity thing will hit us far quicker than we can resolve the supply problem.
Getting rid of Comalco will be a temp solution, but I think that capacity is already tentatively earmarked for H generation.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 9:41am
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

No one has said where on earth this huge amount of electricity generation is going to come from, or where the new electricity distribution grid to move it around is coming form either.  Given the speed of infrastructure build in NZ I'd suggest we are about 30 years too late in starting to prepare for this.

Not wrong - our local powerline company is proposing to install large diesel generators around their network to better cope with outages and peak supply. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 4:27pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Evs are not the future.
Hydrogen is.
But fossil fuels will play a major role for at least another century.
I best solar is the humble simple public.
They can put in all roofs and pay to replace all items regularly until the woke wake up and realise the destructive components of all solar.

So back to dams and gas, or maybe nuclear.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 4:45pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Agree Mattoo - thats where my money is in terms of which horse to back.
And I think the possible future for Tiwai Pt is for H generation. Again - lots of energy required to make it - the basic problem.
In simple terms, we have to find alternative viable sources of energy - enough to replace the FF fuel energy. And basically - according to all the wish list plans - very quickly.
The only option that fits that criteria is nuclear. So we will find ourselves between a rock and a hard place in short order.
Just look at the consent issues and opposition to the water storage dams.  On a trifling scale to what we need if new hydro was going to be a major player in future energy capacity. 
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 5:51pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A couple of years back I used to think that the only real option was nuclear. That NZ should just get over itself and move with the times..... Then Fukushima happened and pretty  much right there and my mind changed instantly.
In a earth quake prone country  like ours there is absolutely no way it will ever happen. Not in a million years.
Dunno what the answer is..... 
Why they haven't developed some sort of tide generated power station with the amount of sea we have around us is beyond me.
No doubt the Greens would oppose anything like this too in case a penguin  got minced in it or something stupid. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 5:57pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nuclear has changed hugely. Plants are much smaller and efficient now. If the way is electric it is the most sensible solution.

I bet in 50 years time the negative effects of electric cars will wane on the conscious of the future green leaders. And as now they will put on stop clock on what must be done.

Who knows might be a mute point in a few weeks time 😂
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 7:44pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

wow a lot buying into the corporate spin. What waste does solar and wind produce compared to nuclear year after year for ever. How many solar plants are leaking massive amounts of water into the sea for ever etc etc. how many solar plants explode and kill people for generations! 
New solar farm planned at Whitianga is spaced out panels for optimal grass growth so is farmed as normal so not wasted space - every farmer should look at the model. Boom rich farmers.

There are many houses in NZ that produce all the power plus more from solar - totally off the grid I have two neighbours doing so - one wants to sell me his Excess power at half the power company rate.  Technology is taking off like a rocket in this area. We have been looking at solar seriously for the past 4 months and already during this little time have cheaper panel prices and car charging with fast charges so no need to go near the grid ever. EV cars doing 400km plus on one charge.

We are humans and clever particularly in NZ where most don’t get stuck in what today does but makes the future.

There is talk on vehicles that are power positive. Charged once at factory and produces more power than it can use and then can top up house power if required. 

Get hip with the times kids ...says old me, but you see my point.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 7:56pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

EVs are not the future.  How do you stop a lithium battery burning??

Herman said it took firefighters nearly four hours and more than 30,000 gallons of water to extinguish the fire.

“Normally when the fire department arrives, they have the vehicle fire in control in minutes, but this went on close to four hours,” said Herman.

At one point, crews had to call Tesla to ask how to put the fire out, Herman said.

https://www.firerescue1.com/firefighter-training/articles/what-firefighters-need-to-know-about-electric-car-batteries-omiDv8vd87oZ9ZKs

In each of the six full-scale burn tests, firefighters at the test site found that they needed to flow large amounts of water on the batteries, because fire kept flaring up even after it appeared to be extinguished. In one test, a battery fire reignited 22 hours after it was thought to be extinguished.

Yep the future is run Huntly on coal so we can have EVs.Doesnt work for me!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 8:14pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

and ? Bad crash they might burn = fossil fuel cars.... same same....next....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 8:19pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

not sure if people read posts before dumping their agenda. Create your own power , charge your car. Triple power prices and we will all be doing it.

Though my response is pretty basic and unintelligent is delivery debate wise. My point is economics drive change. Once the gov stops spending our millions subsidising fossil fuels and puts some into renewables the fossil dirty fuel suppliers won’t change, why would they. I wouldn’t. It’s not about change it’s about money and spin...that’s the life we were all born into. We just need to manage it better 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 8:52pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I agree Real Deal. On the market deciding.

Disagree regarding fossil fuels. The tax alone mutes that point. Renewable energy is heavily subsidised, even banks are onboard with that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 9:58pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Like look of those electric F50s, suspect will be in market for one, when my Prado which has done over 200km (barely run in)  and only  24 years old, does its chips. Going good with new battery at moment.
For the F50 will definitely need to have charger on drive way, and probably few solars panels and big windmill on roof of house.  Bit more to think about than trading up to one of those new tritons, but but F50 seems much more impressive truck.
Page  123 9>