I'm so privileged

Page  123 9>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (6) Likes(6)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm so privileged
    Posted: 29 May 2021 at 10:51am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 11:03am
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"Oh, by the way did any of the above 11 points mention my race or my gender?"
No, however, if you listen to the cancel culture woke PC brigade, those descriptions can only be applied to a person of European descent.
That is, "white".
Does not matter your ethnical makeup.

Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 2:29pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ya know Joker I completely agree with everything you wrote.... but there will be people out there just itching to lable you a racist.
Mike Hoskings was right yesterday in asking the question....
"What the hell is wrong with this country?"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 2:33pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No, however, if you listen to the cancel culture woke PC brigade, those descriptions can only be applied to a person of European descent.
That is, "white".

If you spend time with Asian and other families, you will find that their sense of hard work, not doing dumb stuff, respect,etc..All fall very well into all of the above...
Espec if the parents are not NZ born.

They will, privately, often be very critical of NZ born families (parents/ grandparents NZ born)
These ppl, just like Asian and, middle east etc, move to a new country to provide a better life for their children and eventually grandchildren, so make a big deal of these standards. But as the generations go down the 'memories ' of the 'old countries ' the respect, hard work, work ethics, then to go out the window.

We often see snippets of this when 2nd/ 3rd/ 25th/30th generations, of NZ born ppl move to other countries oversea for a better life...even when they have had a crap life here or not
Race, culture etc is not part of the equation.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 4:25pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It’s quite interesting how we have reached this point. There are a few who saw it coming who warned what would happen to society in an age of political correctness.

Just started to read Thomas Sowell and here is a clip from 1995
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=waEc4YbQQX0

He goes back even further with this stuff.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 4:40pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Perhaps the question too be asked...
As one of the white priveliged people, who can I blame if I'm broke, of my kids don't want to go to school, if I have a substance abuse problem that make me want to get violent..?
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 5:07pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My privelages are great.

I was born.
I've had the opportunity to live.
I've grasped that opportunity to enjoy the riches, challenges, experiences, highs, lows and human foibles of living.
I'm still enjoying the privelage of life.

All win win for me.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 5:17pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Big -Dave Big -Dave wrote:

Perhaps the question too be asked...
As one of the white priveliged people, who can I blame if I'm broke, of my kids don't want to go to school, if I have a substance abuse problem that make me want to get violent..?

Once again, according to the woke PC brigade, only yourself.
Only those of colour  can use "lack of privilege" for their failure.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 6:16pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I don't tick all those boxes, but most of them. I like Steps response and Mattoos. Don't dislike the others either. I take people as I find them. 

It's all about respect and decency, nothing to do with race. I really do enjoy  'the Maori fulla' type personality. I hope I always do
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 6:40pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

That is, "white".

If you spend time with Asian and other families, you will find that their sense of hard work, not doing dumb stuff, respect,etc..All fall very well into all of the above...
Espec if the parents are not NZ born.

They will, privately, often be very critical of NZ born families (parents/ grandparents NZ born)
These ppl, just like Asian and, middle east etc, move to a new country to provide a better life for their children and eventually grandchildren, so make a big deal of these standards. But as the generations go down the 'memories ' of the 'old countries ' the respect, hard work, work ethics, then to go out the window.

We often see snippets of this when 2nd/ 3rd/ 25th/30th generations, of NZ born ppl move to other countries oversea for a better life...even when they have had a crap life here or not
Race, culture etc is not part of the equation.

"Race, culture etc is not part of the equation".
And nor should it be.
I think we can all agree on that.
However in NZ at this point in time, it is being made into a race debate.
What makes this worse, is it is being driven from the top.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 10:07am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The Privileged List is pretty damn  privileged.
Then we have a semi list.
 Lets say you get down to around 6 and below..

All your life guidance ppl die.. grand parents, parents, family etc. you are on a roll.. then live just pulls the rug before your frontal lobes kick in.
The more or less neutralises  the res and things turn to custard for a decades or so.

Then thats when Fish4T post comes in...

life card its dealt and its up to you how to play that card.
My childhood and upbringing far from ideal but it make me who i am today instead of break me and I feel so privileged to say that.

One still gets to choose after direction goes rather 'sideways' and rebuild.. and its a total dump those around you, rebuild, friends, places, work, environment.. it a tough call to go out one ones own.. totally mid life.

Yet it is still a personal choice, not based on race, blaming who what where...but to bloody minded, rebuild and that takes a few decades...late start.. which end of the day..
You see your children do ok, more important your grandchildren do well...
One maybe on bones of their arse, but the contentment is huge

Privileged,partly privileged, not privileged...the choice of where your grandchildren head is ones personal choice, not based on race or the actions of others  in this generation or those generations of the past.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 10:41am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So often these days people seem to want to blame someone else for their problems/failures. An expectation that things should be a certain way - that suits them. And when its not, it is someone else's fault. Nothing to do with their choices.
We are breeding a culture of entitlement. Which simply leads to discontent when it is not met.
I feel very lucky and thank the things that got me here regularly.
Having said that I worked my A off thru years of Uni for the education I wanted, and worked my A off during holidays to support myself. I took risks (risked everything financially - make or break) and worked my A off setting myself up for a future. Years without a day off - literally.
I feel very lucky - to have the life I have. But you have to make your own luck.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 11:51am
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cancel culture is based on reverse racism.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 12:31pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What about the immigrants who come here with nothing, work hard and over the years make a good life for themselves and set their kids up for the future. I've seen in it over and over again. Consistently highest achieving kids at school are Asian. Personally, I wouldn't classify anyone by ethnicity. It should be irrelevant, but that is government data, not an opinion. If NZ is so damned racist, how is this possible?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 2:03pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

So often these days people seem to want to blame someone else for their problems/failures. An expectation that things should be a certain way - that suits them. And when its not, it is someone else's fault. Nothing to do with their choices.
We are breeding a culture of entitlement. Which simply leads to discontent when it is not met.
I feel very lucky and thank the things that got me here regularly.
Having said that I worked my A off thru years of Uni for the education I wanted, and worked my A off during holidays to support myself. I took risks (risked everything financially - make or break) and worked my A off setting myself up for a future. Years without a day off - literally.
I feel very lucky - to have the life I have. But you have to make your own luck.
Alan

The great escape of the 21st century, has been the escape from personal responsibility....Tom Sowell 😂 read that the other day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 2:42pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

And as soon as you escape personal responsibility you have a culture of no consequences and one of dependence - on others.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 3:16pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

And as soon as you escape personal responsibility you have a culture of no consequences and one of dependence - on others.
Alan

So true & is typified by so many of today's youth inasmuch as they are well versed re their rights & privileges but relatively ignorant of the responsibilities that come with it.

When I had my own business had teenagers come knocking on the door asking for after school work  & I usually employed them  due to the fact that they appeared to be  enterprising.

As time went on I became increasingly disillusioned by the  realisation that being able to say they had a job was all that was important to them oblivious to the fact they had an obligation to give something in return .. such as a fair time actually working.  
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 3:37pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There are a lot of good kids out there that earnestly want to succeed.
But the creep in the margins of those that think things should be easier and they are entitled to whatever others have, seems to keep growing.
Rather than teaching self reliance we seem to be fostering the opposite.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 3:55pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Alan

That is very true.
I always laugh at people who think they have rights to things like water, healthcare, housing, etc.
Anything of that nature that depends on the free will of other people making sure they get it or others paying for it is not a right.
There is a genuine call that all access to the internet should be “free” everywhere, anywhere. As another example.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 5:27pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Had school down here close last week - for two days. To host a Tangi for a mongrel Mob member.
I won't start on the list of whats wrong with that.
But what are we breeding as a culture?
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Page  123 9>