2009 Surtees 6.7 Gamefisher vs 2021 Kiwi Kraft 585

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote markhnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2009 Surtees 6.7 Gamefisher vs 2021 Kiwi Kraft 585
    Posted: 18 May 2021 at 11:19am
markhnz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all

Looking for some advice from you experienced fishos!

I currently have a near new Kiwi Kraft 585 hard top (the hull with the new 'D' shaped pontoons). It's a great boat, but I would like something that has overnighting capability, but which can handle the rough stuff like the Kiwi Kraft. I fish D'urville Island/Stephen's Island in the Nelson area.

I am looking at a 2009 Surtees Gamefisher on TradeMe. It has the extra length and a fully enclosed cabin so would fit the bill for overnighters. 

However, I've only ever had pontoon boats so am not sure what to expect from the Surtees hull. What are they like at rest and underway in the rough? How would it compare to my Kiwi Kraft hull? From the reviews I have read, they are pretty soft riding (compared to say a McLay), but I always take online reviews with a grain of salt.

The other thing is that the 200hp Yamaha outboard on the Surtees has done 2600 hours. Will enquire about service records, etc., but it looks like it's a gamefishing boat, so primarily trolling hours. If the outboard is in good nick and has been looked after, are those hours a problem?

Any advice greatly appreciated, especially those of you with the same Surtees. Pretty sure that Tzer on here used to have that model Surtees?

Mark

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 12:04pm
Moots View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

That boat does 99% of its hours gamefishing and servicing would have been pretty regular! Surtees ride pretty good in the rough, haven't overnighted in them, but haven't noticed them being too tippy at rest 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 2:34pm
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have a 6.7 Surtees, they’re a great boat. Really soft riding and cut through chop great. At rest, while they’re not as stable as a boat like an Extreme (Extreme’s are wider but ride like ****), I’ve never had any issues with it feeling tippy, the flooding keel helps with that.
I’ve overnighted a couple of times, mine is an open cab, and it’s been fine.
It’s a good price for that boat but the hours are up there.
6.7m Surtees PureFisher - "Kraken"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 2:46am
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's a bloody good boat and a definite fish raiser , I've weighed a few fish from this boat .
The upholstery will need a bloody good clean , I've seen how the grubby folk who fish this boat behave LOL
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 5:50pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

How many hrs has that engine got left in it?
Seems to be quite a few Surtees popping up on TM at the moment. I guess owners are getting good money for them and the wait for a new one ( 6m plus) is into next year.
Price fluctuations due to material supply and shipping must be quite concerning for dealers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 10:00pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

markhnz deleted couple posts few nights ago.. as potentially too antagonistic. Think I said something like pontoon boats were a  meter better in performance than similar alloys, which means your bigger alloy non pontoon surtees you are looking at would be similar in performance, maybe more favourable with surtees  deep vee and flood chamber.
The good parts of post were you have a fantastic boat already, watched your model and bigger KCs crossing a nasty bar a few times
New bigger boat in mind is not pontoon, all good I suppose, but you will possibly give away a bit of performance not being pontoon in real rough seas and carrying a load where stability becomes critical. Performance you are possibly used to. Only an opinion.
There are bigger pontoon better overnighting options.. but probably more expensive.