Layout, CC vs side console or cuddy.

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Layout, CC vs side console or cuddy.
    Posted: 16 May 2021 at 7:14pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

OK I'm nearly at the stage where I need to seriously think about layout options for the project I'm building. 

For those that have not been following the build, the stock plans have a hardtop cuddy over the front with up to 1300mm headroom. I could build that with, or without the hard roof, which could be canvas instead. I could also do a small pilothouse like the Cdory16 (sitting headroom only). 

I could also do a side console, twin consoles, or a cc. If going the CC I'd probably run the cables under the side deck and in under a casting platform rather than chase tubes. I could also make a small pilothouse for standing while driving, or put plastic and clears around the cuddy. 

So basically I can set it up almost any way I want. I'd thought I'd ask the forum in case there's something I've not thought of. 

How would you set up a 5.35m by 2.15m boat? Gunnel height 650mm at the back, nearly 900mm at the front. It's big for its size. Only bias I have is a preference to make things myself from wood/epoxy/glass than buy off the shelf. 

I'm primarily building it for fishing, though there will be a small family element. I'd like some protection from sun, rain and cold South Island weather, a place to sleep would be great (could be under a canvas, doesn't have to be a cabin). 

The boat will be used near offshore, mainly around Christchurch. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 8:03pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice looking boat you’ve done a great job so far. I personally find CCs very cold and wet but I like a bit of comfort. Each to his own but I suppose you could go with a CC and if it doesn’t work out you could remove it and build a cabin.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ofthesea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 8:44pm
ofthesea View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I don't really see the point of CC layout unless you have a lot of people fishing.
The rod directs the fish or if it's something extra large start the motor
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 9:13pm
Platinum
Platinum

Being able to easily go forward would be nice. Also easier to put a Minn Kota on.

But the forward Hardtop would definitely be the wife's preference. Who knows how often she'd come on it though. 

I've got plans for some small pilothouse consoles as well. It's an option if I scale them down some.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 8:50am
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Centre consoles and family dont mix.
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 10:19am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by OneWayTraffic OneWayTraffic wrote:

But the forward Hardtop would definitely be the wife's preference. Who knows how often she'd come on it though. 

Probably much less often if you went for a center console.  Whether that's a good or bad thing I'll leave for you to decide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 12:55pm
Platinum
Platinum

My 14 year old son reckons I should put in twin side consoles, with a centre walkthrough to the front. I could get a canvas roof made over the front section so there's a kind of cabin there. That way I can choose to lay it out for family or fishing. 

Ultimately I'm building the boat, and it's for fishing first and foremost. But family and wife trips would be a bonus. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 2:31pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Personally I like a side consol - gives max walk around room and wiring/ throttle cable etc to the motor is easily routed.
But protection from the elements for any passenger relys on them having good waterproofs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 4:45pm
Platinum
Platinum

Here's an indication of what the stock layout is like. I don't want to make changes greater than 300mm to the location of the steering bow/stern, due to already having a cable and COG issues. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 4:47pm
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My 14 year old son reckons I should put in twin side consoles, with a centre walkthrough to the front. I could get a canvas roof made over the front section so there's a kind of cabin there. That way I can choose to lay it out for family or fishing. 

That is the idea I'm playing with at the moment, but for a 6m CC type hull.  Side console either side,  with a foldable piece that joins the 2 together and a '3 piece' screen that can then join it all together, and a canvas or similar 'cabin'   that way you can have a 'cabin boat' for winter straylining, and a open plan lure fishing machine for the warmer months
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 4:51pm
Platinum
Platinum

It's nice to be able to have it any way I like. But a bit of pondering and second guessing as well. 

What do you guys think of one of these, instead of a CC?

Obviously would need to be a little smaller.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 4:54pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by strx7 strx7 wrote:

That is the idea I'm playing with at the moment, but for a 6m CC type hull.  Side console either side,  with a foldable piece that joins the 2 together and a '3 piece' screen that can then join it all together, and a canvas or similar 'cabin'   that way you can have a 'cabin boat' for winter straylining, and a open plan lure fishing machine for the warmer months

That's a small change to the stock layout. Leave cabin bulkhead, but cut a little lower with a windscreen each side. Side coaming and perspex for spray as well. Bolt on/off Targa top overhead. Canvas on the front, or another bolt on/off. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 5:01pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It's nice to be able to have it any way I like. But a bit of pondering and second guessing as well. 

What do you guys think of one of these, instead of a CC?

Obviously would need to be a little smaller.
nope
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 6:51pm
Platinum
Platinum

Main concern with those Pacific Pilothouse is the size of them on my 5.3m boat. The bigger ones look great as a walkaround style boat. I like the Assault style, and had a play with them on my boat. Looks like an outhouse on a dinghy, unless I scale it. Like the protection from the weather. 

So it comes down to the list of requirements. Place to sleep/nap occasionally, all round fishing access, portapotty, protection from the weather. I can't have it all easily on a 5m boat. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 8:15am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Comments on CC family above a definite..A CC is for more hard core fishermen....

1/ Consider you capstan/ warp positions and where you will operate from..And access to them. That will determine your forwd position of cabin, and hatch.
2/ Storage.. under seat in the cabin.. what you will store and how big that stuff is.
3/Able to at least have couple kids get out of crap weather
and sit reasonably comfortable for the longer trip home.
4/ And very important is how this load distribution will effect the balance of the boat at rest, hole shot and under cruise.
Get those right and odds are you will have it right for when it chops up as well.

Sorting each of the above individually then 'knit ' them together.

4/Then consider a well designed bimmini .. like a hard top' over the top... and side clears that can be folded back easy, AND still able to travel 50mph plus with them back, which will also meant you can tow with it up nps.

I personally designed, then modded the frame on our bimmini, so can tow even long distances 100kmh+ with it up nps.
Got couple pics somewhere

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 9:54am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'd go for the twin side consoles idea. Removable center screen for access to the bow and weather protection when traveling. Lots of usable space.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 6:59pm
Platinum
Platinum

One thing I have in favour is that I have plans drawn by the marine architect. Centre of Gravity is where the driver is. If I move something back, or take something off the front then I know where to move other things to compensate. I also know the PPI (pounds per inch immersion) at the waterline and quite a few other details not typically shared when you buy a boat. 

I've been looking at Biminis and Targas. Would like to have over the consoles. After throughly thinking it over, the twin consoles is a good match for the boat as drawn, and what I want to do. For me personally a CC with a wrap around pilothouse/clears would be ideal, but I do want some family utility as well. Family is not the priority though, fishing is. I've got three kids, but they aren't little kiddies anymore. 

So either twin console, or centre console with added weather protection. Walk through to the front, through the middle or around cc. The cabin walls left close to as drawn but removable roof so I can fish/access the front. I'll extend the front of the cabin a little so I can use some of room between Frame A and B to stand and access the anchor. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 12:23pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have an FC560 C/C with T-Top and wrap around windscreen that provides enough protection from spray and rain though the spray is a non event due to FC boats being extremely DRY for a centre console. The protection from the sun by the T-top is a must for me, particularly when game fishing for hours on end. We have a Minn Kota up front that I would consider a must have and is very easy to access.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 3:56pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This is a very tidy little wooden CC on trademe to give you some ideas

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/boats-marine/motorboats/listing/3105754943
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 4:51pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

This is a very tidy little wooden CC on trademe to give you some ideas

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/boats-marine/motorboats/listing/3105754943

More a side console than a CC ?
Page  12>