boat show not that great ?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: boat show not that great ?
    Posted: 16 May 2021 at 8:15am
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

a bit not great this year tbh... the beer tent closed at 9pm on Fri too
rant over haha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 8:50am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Do the fashionable thing and blame it on Covid ๐Ÿ˜‚
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 9:07am
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Definitely do your homework.
Went with a friend who had priced a certain boat up before heading to the show.
Was hoping for a bit of a show discount.
Found the relevant stall, questioned the sales team, requested all the options he wanted and a arranged for a quote to be sent out.
Got home and an email had already arrived.
First word out of his mouth, Censored
They were asking 3k more than the pre show quote.
Same model and same dealer.
Caveat emptor indeed. 

Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 9:48am
smelli View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Yeh pretty ****e huh, i think that is how they pay the high cost of the boat show site they rent.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=717361
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 10:07am
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i worked them for a few years and have been to everyone for the last 10 odd this year was weird less stuff and no deals
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 11:32am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by spin king spin king wrote:

i worked them for a few years and have been to everyone for the last 10 odd this year was weird less stuff and no deals
Yep just been in to smartmarine (manukau)as too busy at the show,got a better deal on softbaits etc than offer at show. Boat sales yep nephews stabi jumped by $10k at show ,same toys fitted.

Knew the show wouldnt be great as no hype before hand on this site.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 1:29pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

First time in an age I didn't go but only because I've had so much time off work lately and I like to go on a Thursday or Friday
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 1:52pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Inflation at play too guys.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 2:21pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I went to look at boats my son had rigged from scratch. Proud of him, he does a better job that I'd have the patience for.

I did price up a drum winch before I went, same retailer had it at the show 200 cheaper, not enough for me to bother.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 2:55pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well if you check the wait lists for most boat manufacturers, you probably wouldn't be running around with discounts either. They all seem to have more work on than they know what to do with.
The old supply/demand equation. Just like the current house thing really.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 5:23pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Well if you check the wait lists for most boat manufacturers, you probably wouldn't be running around with discounts either. They all seem to have more work on than they know what to do with.
The old supply/demand equation. Just like the current house thing really.
Alan

Yup.
One model/make before Christmas and one model/make mid 2022.
120-140k range.
No, not for me. Cry
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 5:35pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got myself a few things a bit cheaper than "normal" - typically google them to see what MarineDeals etc lists stuff for.  Got myself a free lifejacket by extending my Coastguard membership by 3 years.  Memo to self: live long enough to use it.  Plus a semi-impulse rod/reel purchase.

Couldnt' find Top Catch stand.  Couldnt find decent braid so stopped in at Fish City on the way home.  Couodnt stay long but no boat interest this year - I have enough boats, but of course not enough rods and reels :)

Much better than going to work.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whippersnappyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 7:48am
whippersnappyr View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

havenโ€™t been for years because I find it a snooze. Much prefer the on the water show.  The reality is anyone serious about buying a boat wouldnโ€™t expect to do it at a show. The show is an awareness opportunity and most attendees are having an event outing rather than shopping. Ok for a deal on something like a paddle board not a whole boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 8:59am
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Friends price was only two weeks before the show.
If inflation is running at that level for two weeks, we are all in for a rough ride. LOL
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 1:14pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Actually when a container lands in NZ these days it's very difficult to know just what it will cost. Freight companies are gouging, and this is leading rapid price increases. Also most manufacturers are flat out and booked up way ahead, therefore they need to arrive at a price for a boat that may not be built for several months and the materials could conceivably have increased markedly by build time, there are a lot of factors that arent obvious to the average punter.

slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 4:46pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by v8-coupe v8-coupe wrote:

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Friends price was only two weeks before the show.
If inflation is running at that level for two weeks, we are all in for a rough ride.ย LOL

Donโ€™t bet against it ๐Ÿ˜‚

Well in your friends case you take the first price
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 4:50pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Tonto2 Tonto2 wrote:

Actually when a container lands in NZ these days it's very difficult to know just what it will cost. Freight companies are gouging, and this is leading rapid price increases. Also most manufacturers are flat out and booked up way ahead, therefore they need to arrive at a price for a boat that may not be built for several months and the materials could conceivably have increased markedly by build time, there are a lot of factors that arent obvious to the average punter.

That is an issue too.
Plus higher demand equals higher prices
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 11:28am
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

We spent four days at the show and it was busy. Foot traffic up significantly and a good turnout from the industry too. 

For anyone thinking of buying a boat it's a great time to look over all the options and just as importantly have a look at all the innovation and ideas that the manufacturers are coming up with. Problem is that demand is so high for all the main manufacturers, getting a build slot for a new boat is the challenge.

There were a few good deals in the fishing hall but certainly not like it was a few years ago. Massive issue with stock and supply chains as others have noted and so retailers aren't discounting like they were.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 12:17pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thought it was about standard. Good day out. We were boat shopping, or at least seriously tyre kicking! Wouldn't want to sign on the dotted line in that environment. Soft top aluminium boats seem to be out of fashion, lots of hard tops. Shame FC Boats weren't there as wanted to eyeball them. Luckily we had time to pop in to Fish City in Albany on the way home. Only purchase at the show was a bottle of gin LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 1:39pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

Thought it was about standard. Good day out. We were boat shopping, or at least seriously tyre kicking! Wouldn't want to sign on the dotted line in that environment. Soft top aluminium boats seem to be out of fashion, lots of hard tops. Shame FC Boats weren't there as wanted to eyeball them. Luckily we had time to pop in to Fish City in Albany on the way home. Only purchase at the show was a bottle of gin LOL
Fish city Albany was there without the F/C range they were promoting Fi Glass 
Page  12>