Smartwave 4200 Rod holders and bow mount motor

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smartwave 4200 Rod holders and bow mount motor
    Posted: 06 May 2021 at 9:07am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Morning team.  Our local club has been saving for many years now and just finalized the purchase of a Smartwave 4200.  What a killer machine she is. Tongue 

Now iv been tasked with two points we need to add to the boat.  
  • Fly Rod holders 
  • Mount the Minn Kota that we pulled of our old dingy
A couple of questions for those that already have these boats.  
Best fly rod holders to mount in these boats.  I'm thinking something mounted to the front face of the center console that can hold several rods.  

Second question is what's the best way to run the power wires from the center console to the Minn Kota?  Assuming that the best place to mount the battery for it is in the center console?  The dealer has already mounted the factory bow plate for an electric outboard.

I was going to post about the Minn Kota in the boat section and PM Johan (Jofly) about the rod holders, but then I thought id throw it out to the group, so in the future if anyone else has the same question they can read the collective knowledge. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 7:38pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

My experience with fly rod holders. I got the ram mount holders for fly rods they were expensive and took a long time to get here from aussie but during covid lockdown they are a fail as they don't hold big reels.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 7:46pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I then got these ones down below they where expensive and took a long time to get here from the states but they are awesome and do the trick. There are plenty of google pics with rod holders made from pvc pipe wich are cheap to make and should do the trick depending on where you want to mount them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 7:48pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Will.    Yeah while googling I saw those (second post) looked about the best ones I saw. Looked like getting them from the US was about the only option?

What with the front of the console being a large surface, I could make up something for the rod butts to go in down low and something else up higher to lock the rods into?. Was hoping to buy something off the shelf, but might have to bite the bullet and build something.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 8:06pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sent you a PM, I'll get around to posting something up when I can but will be a while so let's connect first.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 1:34pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Johan, il give you a buzz in the next few days Wink

A huge thank you to Will from myself and the entire Wakatipu Anglers Club!  Thumbs UpClapClap

Will donated a couple of rod holders to the club for the new boat.  Bro, if you want to head down this way and chase those speckled faced buggers, just let me know.  We will make sure you have a ball. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianMikeNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 10:24am
CanadianMikeNZ View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Fraser,

I have a 4200 smartwave with a minn kota on the bow.

I have a tiller steer but using the factory middle seat location ( essentially where the centre console is) for a lithium battery and running 6ga cable to the minn kota under the alloy flooring to the drain holes through the port forward seat.

If you pm me your email can send you some photos of what I’ve done.

Cheers Mike