Grunter Hunter 2021

Page  123 7>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grunter Hunter 2021
    Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 3:23pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

My favourite comp The Franklin Hunting & Fishing Grunter Hunter  previewed here on my favourite fishing forum. To be fair we have a great following here so while I don't exactly have approval from the club committee yet here is what we have planned: 

Date June 6 - yes it is a Sunday, yes it is a long weekend, some like that, some don't but it will happen when I can do it and I can do it on that day Big smile

We will have $2k or 3k for first prize - got to sort that yet, $1500 2nd and $1000 1st with $500 for an average weight. Prizes will go to 20th (all prize values are yet to be confirmed!)

Fishing is from Raglan North Head to Kaipara South Head including the Manukau Harbour.

Fishing starts at 12.01am Sunday June 6 and you must be in the weigh in queue at Te Toro by 4.00pm Sunday 6. Only one fish to be weighed per angler. 

There will be food & raffles but BYO drinks.

Lucky draws and raffles so bring some $2 coins and $5 notes

We will have an in store 'how to' session at Franklin H&F on May 29.

Tickets will be available on-line in a week or so and can also be bought at Franklin H&F in a week or so.

Last year this comp was won by a 14 year old boy surfcasting off Graham's Beach. I have never even placed higher than 5th Big smile
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wayno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 5:40am
wayno View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome news Smudge, just what I was hoping to see when I logged in Big smileThumbs Up

See you there, hopefully might be bringing an extra or 2 this year.

To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 7:08am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We shall come
We shall slay
We will make it payday.

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 8:50am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

June 6   ..D Day 
Cool. 
Mid sized tides.
Nautical dawn  6:15 /6:30am
 Low tide general Manukau Around 1:15am
Full around 7:30am
Low 1:30pm and enough time to fish over the last change tide and get back to the ramp.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 8:51am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by wayno wayno wrote:

Awesome news Smudge, just what I was hoping to see when I logged in Big smileThumbs Up

See you there, hopefully might be bringing an extra or 2 this year.

Be good to see you there Wayno
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 8:51am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

We shall come
We shall slay
We will make it payday.

We shall see Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 8:56am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

June 6   ..D Day 
Cool. 
Mid sized tides.
Nautical dawn  6:15 /6:30am
 Low tide general Manukau Around 1:15am
Full around 7:30am
Low 1:30pm and enough time to fish over the last change tide and get back to the ramp.

Yes good tides and you raise a good point Steps. When it comes to picking a date for a comp that is tide dependent you only have two choices as the tides more or less repeat a two weekly cycle and of course the comps are on a weekend.

I often hear 'why don't you choose a 3.00 high tide'?

It's because we don't do comps on a Wednesday Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 11:08am
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah , I should be able to manage this Big smile
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 11:36am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Skoti Skoti wrote:

Yeah , I should be able to manage this Big smile

Think of all the rum bribes you will get if you're our weighmaster Skoti? You up for weighing?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 12:32pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

But of course , gotta keep the punters honest !
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 6:16pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When it comes to picking a date for a comp that is tide dependent you only have two choices as the tides more or less repeat a two weekly cycle and of course the comps are on a weekend.

I have often wondered about tides etc when choice of date is made.
Some comps thu...
I can understand if the annual comp has been tied to a certain date or weekend...dont have a lot of choice on the tides.

Just looking at the Waikato Bar tides.full at 7am
 Damn smallish boat 5.5m and if wind right and swell under 1m  could push coming in after 3:45pm not enough time to get back to Hoods, let along back to Te Torro.
 On the other hand..its a 1m low tide...If swell well under 1m, KNOW you have the channel RIGHT.

Also the local Waikato Harbour master is rather onto it and most likely have checked the river and Marker pegs that one lines up coming in.

As the Waikato  is tide/ wind/timing dependent (most bars are), If these are on the favourable side the bars will also line up   Thumbs Up

Roll on D Day

Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 9:43pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Here we go:
The 2021 Franklin Hunting & Fishing Grunter Hunter is happening on June 6th. Ticket sales are now available online https://www.csfc.co.nz/Events-1/Registration-forms or from the Franklin Hunting & Fishing store - see Matt, Chad and the rest of the team for tickets and advice on rigs etc. Tickets are $35 per adult and $20 for under 16's (under 16 on June 6th). First prize is a whopping $3000 and there are prizes to 20th place plus an average weight prize of $500. Here are the rules:
1 Anglers must present their ticket to the Weighmaster to be eligible for prizes even if not weighing a fish
2 Only Red Gurnard are eligible. Weighed fish will be clipped, only intact fish will be weighed
3 All fish must be caught on a rod & reel
4 Fishing starts at 12.01am Sunday June 6th
5 Weigh in opens at 3.00pm Anglers must be in the weigh in queue at the Te Toro Green Shed by 4.00pm on the day of the competition – no exceptions
6 Anglers may fish the Manukau Harbour or the West Coast from Raglan North Head to Kaipara South Head
7 There will be no drawn prizes apart from Spot prizes. EG no 20th place fish – no prize drawn
8 Spot Prize winners must be present to claim prizes
9 Juniors must be UNDER 16 years old on June 6th
10 Only one gurnard may be weighed per angler. If two fish the same weight are weighed then the first of those fish weighed will be deemed to be the heaviest
11 There will be no alcohol sales at the venue
12 On-Line Ticket sales close Friday 4th June at 9.00pm. Ticket sales from H&F will cease C.O.B. Saturday 5th June.
13 There will be no ticket sales on the day
14 Safety is every skippers responsibility
Cheers Smudge and the team
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 9:20pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

You don't need to be a club member to fish this - you don't even need a boat. Last year the event was won by a 14 year old boy using a surfcaster. Here's the best bit - first prize is $3000. We will be holding a 'How to' session at the big Pukekohe Hunting & Fishing store on the morning of Saturday May 29. We will be able to give you some up to date info on where the fish are and tips on how to catch them. No secrets! A good chance to catch up and pick up your tickets.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schecter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 3:13pm
Schecter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice one Smudge.  I'm signed up for my first Grunter Hunter competition.  I'm looking forward to it.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 10:34am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Are you fishing it out of the kayak Jeremy?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 8:47am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

AlanL & self intend entering subject to non cancellation of the event as Alan will be coming from Hawkes Bay.

Both of us looking forward to it & meeting other forum members also
re acquainting with familiar faces.

Cheers Bazza & AlanL 

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 7:23pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Be good to catch up Bazza & to meet Alan. 

A reminder that tickets aren't for sale on the day and that this Saturday me and a mate or two are holding a 'how to' session at Pukekohe Hunting & Fishing this Saturday morning between 9 & 12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 5:47pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got my ticket yesterday , hopefully my skipper will put us on the big salamis , oops I meant gurnard LOL
COVID is no joke !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schecter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 10:38pm
Schecter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yes I am.  There will be a few of us kayakers going out as a group.  Are you entering?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 7:57am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Schecter Schecter wrote:

Yes I am.  There will be a few of us kayakers going out as a group.  Are you entering?
yeah I’m thinking about it. Don’t want to fish it alone though, can I tag along with your team?
Page  123 7>