Shortages of fishing gear seems worse than normal

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shortages of fishing gear seems worse than normal
    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 1:49pm
kingiFiddla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Has anybody else noticed how many items are sold out in stores lately?
I guess supply lines and shipping is a nightmare still and perhaps the demand is higher than normal?
Anyone working in a fishing store noticed increase demand? Or it getting harder to get stock from suppliers? What about the dates for the arrival of new supplies - are they being met or stretched out?

I have a list of  stuff needed or wanted and like to get it in one order  from one supplier but it seems impossible at the mo.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 2:59pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep. All sorts of things are on limited supply. Electric reels are months away, as are most Shimano surf reels, Baitrunners etc. It is really starting to hurt small retailers as they are having to turn customers away, who are obviously just going to jump online and buy it where ever they can get one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 3:15pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

shortage of car tyres coming too according my tyre guy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 3:25pm
Gold
Gold

Thanks. Some things can wait and I'd rather support NZ stores, but where I'm too impatient and with the Aus bubble opening up, there are a few family mules coming over that might be asked to bring some gear over for me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 4:16pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You may well find same shortages there too. Altho a bigger area to cast the net over when scanning for stock It is not just NZ.
I tried to buy a Saragosa 20000 out of Aus a few months back - around Xmas. Supplier could not provide - because the Shimano factory had shut down for Covid and there was a big hole in the supply chain. Then add the shipping headaches that are plaguing the world. 
Basically massive disruption to supply chains everywhere.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 4:43pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A really big tech-world is shortage of electronic compartments like chips, graphic cards, CCPUs. So much so that mega search engines are buying them up and re reselling at a big mark up. Car makers are desperately needing electronics for their new build and repair replacements are so difficult to find
This thing won't last forever but it will take a year or more to settle down.
Make do with what you have, right now and tough if you want that new phone or reel.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 4:51pm
Gold
Gold

Yeah we need to accept this isn't life or death. I mean fishing is far more important than that ;-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 5:01pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

A really big tech-world is shortage of electronic compartments like chips, graphic cards, CCPUs. So much so that mega search engines are buying them up and re reselling at a big mark up. Car makers are desperately needing electronics for their new build and repair replacements are so difficult to find
This thing won't last forever but it will take a year or more to settle down.
Make do with what you have, right now and tough if you want that new phone or reel.
Yes - I had heard some auto companies can't complete their builds - yards full of unfinished stock. Because they can't complete the electronics.
Basically it is going to be a case of hunkering down for a bit - and hoping you don't get struck down by a critical component failure.
Outboard motors springs to mind.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 5:08pm
Gold
Gold

It's gotten so bad that the higher demand for the machines that make the chips can't be met because there are not enough chips to make the machines that make the chips.

I think the Amish might have been onto something...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 5:50pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There is a huge worldwide shortage of plastic as well, just think of all the things made of plastic or with plastic parts in them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 6:21pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmm back to a handline on a pohutakawa stick then with a bone hook.
Seen a lot of bone re curve hooks in the tourist shops.. but now borders opening may need to nip in buy a few?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 6:35pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Steps - I got a draw full of hooks if you run short. Sizes from 2/0 -10/0.
J thru to circle.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 8:05pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Hmm back to a handline on a pohutakawa stick then with a bone hook.
Seen a lot of bone re curve hooks in the tourist shops.. but now borders opening may need to nip in buy a few?

Probably 4 x the normal price, covid tax n all that...
Probably still made in China though..
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 8:23pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

heaps of supply issues in the Steel industry too.

partly due to production delays and partly due to logistics (ie less container ships arriving with product)

am still waiting for orders that were due back in february... 
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 8:27pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My fishing buddy is building a house at the moment - is a builder.
Says it is a nightmare getting supplies. Calling in any favours he can. Had frames ordered Dec last yr for a hse he started a month ago. Got the permit a few weeks ago. And had to push to get the frames a week or two ago.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 7:18am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep - I am in IT and our suppliers are urging us to order laptops now for delivery in July-August. It's a shambles.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 9:07am
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 11:48am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

[QUOTE=kingiFiddla]Alan L - any use to you?
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1601025116756162/[/QUOTE
]
Thanks for the interest - but I did finally get sorted. To explain more fully - I was in vanuatu pre Xmas and wanted a Saragosa 20000. The local shop normally had them and a range of Shimano stuff - rods/reels. The cupboard was bare and the guy told me he could not source any from the normal Aus supplier as there was a shortage everywhere. A month or so later he told me he had managed to get two on the way - and held one for me.
Then I get back to NZ post Xmas - and Marine Deals had them at a special price. So I grabbed another - lowered my average cost. (Thats my story anyway). But there are supply issues as the factory closed over Covid last yr sometime.
Looks like a wide ranging problem and fishing gear probably the least critical. (Until you need it).
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 2:20pm
Gold
Gold

It must be difficult for the importers, trying to get limited stock that everyone around the world is scratching to get, and also trying to predict the demand of a locked down and then not citizenry. I recently asked a retailer when an item might be back in stock and was told they can't even get a date from the supplier.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 4:06pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I suspect there is a lot of stress trying to run certain businesses - that you just don't see.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Page  12>