Time for a change in forum software?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time for a change in forum software?
    Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 8:17am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The forum software has always been a bit cranky, but usable more or less. The login/logout thing that has come up recently is annoying and I just can't be bothered to post anymore. Even the best forums are struggling with active posters as people move to Facebook. Time for a change of software? Wipe the slate clean and archive all the excellent information that has been posted here over the years. Just my thoughts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 10:31am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Its not the forum software.. its the redirection coding when log in.
 Got to   Member Panel  near top of the page on the left
Then   Forum Preferences
tick   Automatically log me in when I return to the Forum

Other wise you will be confused and find difficulty logging back in.
 It takes you to your details page, asks for PWs etc (instead of taking you to the page you linked to...)

And gives impression you are not actually logged in.. WHEN YOU ARE.
So dont mess with the PW stuff., go straight to ..

Forum Home   towards top left of the page.

Now you are logged in near every visit.
 I THINK there maybe a security thing that after a period.. (weeks/ months ?) it will log you out .

And when the Admin does a update or does a patch you maybe logged out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 8:15pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

The forum software has always been a bit cranky, but usable more or less. The login/logout thing that has come up recently is annoying and I just can't be bothered to post anymore. Even the best forums are struggling with active posters as people move to Facebook. Time for a change of software? Wipe the slate clean and archive all the excellent information that has been posted here over the years. Just my thoughts.

yep its a dog for me too

after being a participating member since the 'early days' - im pretty much out now - unable to easily log in, filter un-read posts or post.

so i dont bother...
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 7:21am
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Bounty Hunter Bounty Hunter wrote:

yep its a dog for me too

after being a participating member since the 'early days' - im pretty much out now - unable to easily log in, filter un-read posts or post.

so i dont bother...

Agree. Very frustrating. Can see sponsors walking away and f.net disappearing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 11:22am
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

The log in/out issue has been since we changed to a single site-wide system and understand the frustration. It's related to cookies but the dev team at Tin Soldier don't seem to be able to fix it at this stage I'm sorry to say. We are in the process of shifting everything to new servers and upgrading to latest versions of software across the site and hopefully that will improve performance and sort out the log-in issue.

If anyone is reading this and can't log-in or is having intermittent issues then please contact me directly and I'll get it sorted for you personally. [email protected] or 021-996-955
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 3:12pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Test post for Bazza
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 7:30pm
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Glad you still with us Bazza, we would really miss you....well, mostly your tales of near misses and death defying stunts really.

We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 1:31pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Great to be back online!

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 5:21pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

3 cheers for bazza
ClapClapClap

Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 6:21pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

3 cheers for bazza
ClapClapClap

Big smile

Shall we run a wee sweepstake, Bill?

Cos I reckon given his technical prowess, senior moments and having to have a play and tutu it will be all over in a weeks time and he'll be back crying on Grunta's doorstop again... if he can remember where Grunta lives and what password he used! LOLLOLClapClap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Foxtrot Oscar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 1:26pm
Foxtrot Oscar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Grunta Grunta wrote:

The log in/out issue has been since we changed to a single site-wide system and understand the frustration. It's related to cookies but the dev team at Tin Soldier don't seem to be able to fix it at this stage I'm sorry to say. We are in the process of shifting everything to new servers and upgrading to latest versions of software across the site and hopefully that will improve performance and sort out the log-in issue.

If anyone is reading this and can't log-in or is having intermittent issues then please contact me directly and I'll get it sorted for you personally. [email protected] or 021-996-955

I guess this issue is still ongoing?

Last night I found I couldn't post new messages or replies using my laptop (W10 + Chrome) even though I'm confirmed as Logged-in on all other parts of the website.

Just on the Forum part I'm logged-out.

I Log in... ''You're not Logged in"... Go to the Log-in button... "You're already Logged-in... Go to the Forum... 'You're not Logged-in" ...

And so on, around in a circle. Grrrr...

Funnily enough, as you can tell, I'm able to post via the phone (Galaxy S7).
I just discovered that this morning.

I've sent an email to Grunta.
      ><(((*>    J
><(((*>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 5:25pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This is very good news for the longevity of this website and forum, however, I think too many horses have bolted with all the small changes and upgrades. We have lost a lot of good people that have great knowledge to share and some with great humour plus experience in many fields of fishing and boating.

Some of those were paying contributors I believe, as they marketed some of their wares on this forum. And some have been members for over ten years.

Some of us tried in angst to get good folk to come back, I did big time, but sadly most of those folk could not login, sort passwords and simply gave up with the frustrations, and went to Facebook.

Whatever way Fishnet evolves to in terms of hardware & software updates, website changes, file permissions, simplicity of photo and weblink uploads, from PC/Laptop, Tablet, Cellphone, Android, Apple, etc are made, it must be made simple, going forward, otherwise the audience will continue to diminish and fade away like it is now.

On a different note to membership, I queried a Mod over a topic that had zero relevance to fishing and aquatics. Which eventually turned into rascism with supposed, hate speech. And clearly against Fishnet rules and doctrine.

My reply was, we are losing too many members so we tend to let things go to keep a discussion going...
On that note, it appears these days the only way to get an audience or gain traction and interest is to post it in the Briny Bar and move it into a topic column later if it gains popularity.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 10:24am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Taken 12hrs to get back in.deleted cookies from bottom of site,cleared history.Tried ignonito
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 11:06am
kingiFiddla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Back in now, thanks Grant.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scuzzymoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 11:06pm
scuzzymoto View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

could not log in to forum only up date details page, wont remember passwords have to enter details everytime, same as few years back same issue. took 3 years to sort it self out.Had to keep changing password untill it let me log in to forum.. cleared all browsing data  and so forth
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled” Mark Twain
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2021 at 9:57am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

could not log in to forum only up date details page,

Yes, when you log in, it goes to your update details page.
(personally I dont know why and can be confusing. I think it maybe tied up with new users  ??)
 you may then try and update some things and end up going in circles.  yes?

"Had to keep changing password untill it let me log in to forum.. "

If you just log in, you get redirected to the update details page.
 do nothing in the details page
Just hit your browser go back button, or simply any forum link at the top, you are logged in.

Then if wish to update details, and are on some forum page, then go to the member panel link and do so.

Normally, one is logged out... read a post, hit reply..
you go to the log in page..
you log in ...
and automatically go to the reply page logged in..
 not the update details page.

Hope this helps.

It seems that the redirection to update details rather than back to say , reply page, has been inherited from the old imported data base..