Which UTE

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which UTE
    Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 12:02pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have you test-driven the Hilux? I had one of the "new" ones as a rental a couple of years ago and it was completely gutless. Yes it had oodles of go off the line but completely ran out of puff at about 90kph, and I wasn't even towing with it, just four adults and a tray full of bulky but not heavy gear. Highway overtaking was worse than my 25 year old Surf with the 3.4 V6 Petrol in it.

I'm told that since then they've upped the power of that motor so hopefully they have a bit more go?

I can't speak to the latest from Jeep, but the last Cherokee I drove was the poorest assembled pile of **** with a warrant of fitness I've ever sat behind the wheel of. Mind you that was years ago so maybe they've got a bit better. My mechanic mate who used to work for the Jeep dealer in these parts wouldn't touch one with a barge-pole.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ascot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 3:14pm
Ascot View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Recently test drove the new Hilux and the Ranger.

Ranger was more car like inside and definitely had more room in the back seat. Air con etc was better too. Found the Ranger cruise control funny to work compared to the Hilux.

The ranger has more power but the Hilux felt much more lively, the new engine was lovely. Both were very comfortable around town and on the motorway but the Hilux did bounce a bit more over bumps around town.

Didn't end up buying either but would have gone with the Ranger for the more family friendly cabin.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whippersnappyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 3:23pm
whippersnappyr View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The Hilux is outselling the Ranger again for the first time in a while if that means anything.

I wouldn't have thought you would be cross shopping the Gladiator vs a ute.  Gladiator more expensive and quite a different vehicle really. Petrol, much longer, less towing capacity etc..

Your decision may be made for you as it looks like the Mako isn't available

Due to unforeseen component supplier shortages affecting local production we are unable to take any more Hilux Mako orders. Please contact your local Toyota Store for more information.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 5:23am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi, having previously had a jeep for work I would recommend staying away from them. The one I had and others I heard of were problematic.

I've been in several late model Hilux's, including the latest. That one tows a 7.2 GRP boat well. As for passing on the open road, a petrol even some years older is always going to be better. The diesel will shine when towing however.

Currently I have a ranger (for work), it is comparable towing-wise to the latest Hilux (not much in it). I found the rear seat ridiculously hard. Travelling to Nelson my butt was numb by Waiouru (left Rotorua). We had to buy a sponge pad to sit on for the return trip.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 9:14am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Maybe if you mentioned what ute you didnt like and  the whys..
 Son has the new hilux.. long distance towing and loaded, plus across country to communication towers and such. Its his 3rd hilux..
Its also nice to drive, and tows our boat very well thru the hills.
 His business partner likes the nissan, very similar end use, because of the gear ratios ..
As they knock up huge milage, 100K in around 3 yrs, and long distance they both dont like rangers , VWs Dmax.

Personally since not doing huge miles, our ute is used more as a car...good lock, good seats, and still pulls the boat nps thru the hills.
Wife and I taken it on a couple long camping road trips, places like 100km narrow metal roads.. the 4x4 the whole way made huge difference
Its the last of the old model 2.2L diesel ssangyong . Android primitive, takes bit getting used to the indicator switch, couple other minor stuff. Would I buy another.. yes
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 5:44pm
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have recently trialed a few utes as an update was needed to help avoid an excessive tax bill.

Had an SR5 Cruiser for a few days, interior looked like it was thought up as they put it together, pretty hard riding, tickled up my dodgy back.

Son has the latest 10 speed Ranger, just like Ars*holes every body has one, nice wagon but out of my price bracket.

Went for the D Max, mainly for comfort, my dodgy back is fine in it, it does everything I need (towing 2.5 tonne of product + trailer) just completed 10,000 ks since January, has settled down nicely.
You can get a good deal on these with a bit of effort

Prior to this I had 3 Colorado's on the trott, never had a single issue with any of them, would have had another if they were still making them.

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dontpanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 9:54pm
dontpanic View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have been driving a 2017 Colorado since new which I absolutely rate but now its time to make a decision due to business sale and having to decide between my Colorado with 90K on the clock or something new, because of the high resale values there is not much in it.
I test drove a Triton and at around $40K with a 5 yr warrantee and thinks its looking like a contender. They look sharp now and it drove very well, better than expected (I don't tow a boat)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kimber7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 5:21am
kimber7wsm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Fish 4T if you wait long enough, there is rumored to be a hilux coming that will have the new Landcruiser V6.

The Raptor has coils not leaf springs and is a lot more comfortable. Only 3.1t towing due to the coils though. 

The isuzu are good utes.

Dontpanic - I had a mitsi for an old job. It was unreliable. The front shocks had failed by 10,000 that badly it was very hard to hold on the road. I know people who are happy with them, but plenty of others who aren't. I have found that while they have good ideas, they don't engineer them very well. Take that for what it's worth (just some random's opinion)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ascot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 8:50am
Ascot View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

2.5t towing for the Raptor. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 9:23am
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you stick to the big brands, they are all good utes for average use, towing etc. Every one will have a different opinion on what is good and bad, one person will love a hi lux, another will hate it.
I quite like my Rangers, but I get them brought for me, so I won't complain anyway.
The mitsi and d max have come a long way with very reliable engines and transmissions. Both great value for money.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 9:37am
kingiFiddla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

One thing I've always wondered about with the various warranties, is what does it cost on average per year of warranty to do all the servicing needed to stay in warranty? I mean, when that's factored into it, are the cheap utes still cheap?

And, if I could have a rant, all I want is a reliable 4WD ute that is also cheap. I don't need backing cameras, AC, electric mirrors and windows, keyless entry, stereo, blah, blah, blah. Just make it capable of 300,000ks or more, towing and stopping a reasonable load, and just needs regular DIY servicing and replacing general consumables like clutch, etc, without rusting out or falling to bits. My mazda proceed/ford courier is a year or so away from a knackers yard (paddock bashing for its remaining days), but is approaching 340k clicks. Will anything they aren't asking stoopid $ for, that I buy new these days give me such a good run?

I know they make their $ on the trinkets and electric gizmos on new cars, but since I've been looking the last little while I can't find a basic 4wd ute that is cheap and will actually last 20 years. I must be getting old.

Realistically, the Triton is the most I can afford, but haven't looked into the warranty costs yet.

What about the off-brands? Sssangyong got an honourable mention above. What about LDV? Not worth the risk?

I once bought a new off-brand tractor. Biggest POS that took a long fight to get a refund off the distributor once the retailer hung me out to twist in the breeze. Somewhat gun-shy about buying like that again, so Triton seems the go, unless others can confirm Ssangyong or LDV. Great wall and Foton are non-starters.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 10:06am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

One thing I've always wondered about with the various warranties, is what does it cost on average per year of warranty to do all the servicing needed to stay in warranty.

The Ssangony service for warrentee was about $700 1st yr, 2nd around the $650

I know they make their $ on the trinkets and electric gizmos on new cars, but since I've been looking the last little while I can't find a basic 4wd ute that is cheap and will actually last 20 years. I must be getting old.

Both Smudge and I where looking at similar reasons .. pretty much will last the milage till cant drive anymore sort of thing

Smudge went the Triton I went the 2.2L Ssangyong.
 Like the ppl above looked around at all the alternatives, we ended up short listing the Triton and ssangyong.
 Didnt need all the bells and whistles, or the cost of them.
We where looking something that suited both towing the boat, and future proof for 6/7m boat later on, shopping, long trips comfortable rear seats with good room.
We preferred the ride seats etc of the Ssangyong over the Triton and suspension, and short ball to axle distance...thu the Triton had better Android add ons.

If going to be towing and in particular reversing, the distance from the rear axle to the tow ball makes a huge difference...

We had been using the 96 Big horn for yrs (still have it) With the excellent turning circle and axle to ball distance, these where the big things that stood out in most of our test drive/ using for the week tests.

Side note here:
Test drive the LDV .. its a must do, even if not looking for a vehicleWink
 It is out there on its own.. if you want something that is designed for dedicated heavy work only.. gets to the short list.
I can only describe it as a cross between a russian tank and a tractor.. not for supermarket car parks.
A test drive just for the experience is worth filling in that bit of free time.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 10:12am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kingiFiddla kingiFiddla wrote:

And, if I could have a rant, all I want is a reliable 4WD ute that is also cheap. I don't need backing cameras, AC, electric mirrors and windows, keyless entry, stereo, blah, blah, blah. Just make it capable of 300,000ks or more, towing and stopping a reasonable load, and just needs regular DIY servicing and replacing general consumables like clutch, etc, without rusting out or falling to bits. My mazda proceed/ford courier is a year or so away from a knackers yard (paddock bashing for its remaining days), but is approaching 340k clicks. Will anything they aren't asking stoopid $ for, that I buy new these days give me such a good run?

I doubt it will be cheap, but this is supposed to be a basic 4x4 that is super tough.  Probably no accident it looks like an old land rover.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 11:41am
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

From my personal experience, up until four years ago I've been driving jeeps. I drove a grand cherokee wife's got herself a wrangler. The grand cherokee was very nice to drive & tow. The wrangler looked cool and very capable of towing but not so smooth. Best vehicles were bought new.

About five years ago, wife's wrangler (with only 47K on the clock) developed what is known as the death wobble, drove ok until the vehicle reached a speed 80km/h and all of a sudden, took on a life of its own. The best way to describe what it was like while holding onto the steering wheel at this speed with the death wobble ... is if you've watched the movie "The exorcist", this clip best describe the feeling inside the car, the structural chassis/frame was literally separating from its body while the steering wheel was rotating 45deg to each side. 

The wrangler was in and out of the jeep workshops, costing us a ton of repair bills. Each time ended up with a temporary fix masking the root cause, with the symptoms resurfacing weeks later.

Long story short.. not so long after ridding ourselves off the wrangler... lo and behold, the grand cherokee started being just as "possessed" as the wrangler... Wouldn't touch a jeep ever since !

Subsequently got us a Ranger for towing... was very good but the ride not as comfortable as the jeep. Then upgraded to a Raptor for that smoother ride with similar towing experience as the Ranger.

Raptor doesn't tow as well as the Ranger 3.2. Has the feeling of towing something whereas with the Ranger, you're pretty much unaware of the towing. Raptor burns more fuel, cost more, tow only 2.5 tonnes but for the sake of comfort, it was a informed choice and compromise.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 12:38pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Jeep

Just Empty Every Pocket

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 3:17pm
Gold
Gold

Thanks all.

Steps - is the warranty 5 years? I'm finding the site hard to pick through. Do they detail what the service costs and frequencies are over the 5 years? I see they get a pretty good review for not one of the major brands. A pity only a double cab option - it's a work ute, why do I want a double cab when the deck ends up about the size of a teaspoon? I see they have an XL option with larger deck but, yeah nah. Single or cub/extra cab with a bigger deck and it would be worth a test drive.

Think I'll pass on the LDV, having read a few reviews. Kinda lump them in with Foton and Great Wall now.

Kevin. S - thanks but I suspect expensive and even if not is unproven and I'm done being a crash-test-dummy/early adopter.

RockCrashing - good to know. Consistency is supposed to be a virtue but, and I'm sorry I'm not sorry, it strikes me Jeep have been consistently fragile, propped up by a small and loyal but deluded phalanx of misguided fanatics desperately trying to convince themselves the unreliability is a quaint character trait. Yeah nah.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 10:19am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Steps - is the warranty 5 years? I'm finding the site hard to pick through. Do they detail what the service costs and frequencies are over the 5 years?

Mine was the last of the pre Rino..
 Ring Leyroy at Western SSangong.
 They had a 2L that was chipped.. damn that thing could go.. on take off and open road /tow... Was cool, but have been  over 'V8 power' normal around town / open road driving for a few yrs now.

We went there , other side of the city, and we are 300m inside the sth edge of Auckland boundary. not going to go into reasons other than the more local branch had run into issues with Com Com (couple times and other stuff )

The LDV.. Im not suggesting to buy, just the experience of test drive is so different from anything else.. It was next door to SSangyoug so bit of 'while there why not' thing Wink
We did not test drive GW/ Foton.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 3:06pm
Gold
Gold

Thanks Steps. To each their own but I'm not comfortable wasting their or my time if I know the ute isn't really an option for me. no matter how curious I may be about it.

I hear ya on the matter of going where you feel comfortable or at least trying to avoid people who for whatever reason, can't/wont  communicate their way out of a wet paper bag.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Almo1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 3:25pm
Almo1960 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Picked up a 2019 GSX BT50 2WD with Diff Lock last September. 20000klm. Ex Service Managers Vehicle. Has Balance of warranty & service plan. Very comfortable & Grunty. Super Happy with it. New Model available so might be some run outs about.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote wayno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 7:31am
wayno View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I bought my 2009 BT50 (3.2 turbo) sight unseen via Turners auctions online over 8 years ago with 64k on it at 3yo. - It was an ex-lease vehicle as I understand it, 3yo on the dot when purchased.
It now has the princely total of 95k and has never missed a beat, bar a new battery 18 months ago. 
Generally used to tow the boat to the local ramp (about 3km away) - and my annual trip to Waiuku for the Grunter Hunter - with the occasional drive to keep the battery in good nick, or if I have to pick up something that won't fit into any of the other cars.
I keep thinking about what to replace it with as my "forever truck" to last me until I turn my toes up, but can't really come up with a valid reason to get rid of it yet. 

To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.
Page  123>