Flylines

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nymphOmaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flylines
    Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 12:47pm
nymphOmaniac View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have had to find a replacement for my old saltwater flyline and to date I haven't found one yet to my liking.

I had the outbound short with a 30ft inter head however having that long a head did negate having a sink tip and was probably more like a full inter. I have been pretty happy with it but the replacement is really expensive and doesn’t have the clear tip, although I am not sure how much difference this really makes as I am not fishing super shallow spooky fish in gin clear water.

I then got the Airflo flatsmaster flyline which would be adequate for top water fishing for kingfish but holds way too much memory for fishing slow presentations especially at depth.

I have also tried the SA Sonar Titan which shoots well but also holds a bit of memory especially in the tip and gives a bit of line burn on the finger.

Enter the long road of researching the net and trying to find a replacement. I am now leaning towards the airflo coldwater which apparently holds no memory.

Just interested in what everyone uses for a flyline and what type of fishing you are doing. e.g topwater for kings, bottom for snapper. Fishing from shore v fishing from boat etc

http://nymphomaniacfishing.blogspot.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 9:29pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Brad, I too struggle to find the perfect saltwater flyline for NZ conditions. My preferred line would be the equivalent of a RIO Directcore Flats Pro F/I with a 15ft clear intermediate tip in a temperate temperature range. But they only make it in a tropical. Also, it's an expensive line at $nz200. Not the sort of line you want to use around oysters.

For a cheaper alternative you might want to look at the Stonecreek saltwater floaters. They are $69 from I love Flyfishing. They are rated as tropical, but I find them quite supple in normal NZ temps.

As a casting line they are ok if you go one line weight heavier than your rod rating. I add a two to three metre section of soft 60lb monofilament at the top of my leader to have a slow sinking clear tip. It basically means you end up with a very long leader, but it casts ok. It is about the cheapest 'best' option I have found for a budget flyline for local conditions. Some other budget lines I have tried have been atrocious. This one's ok.

I do like the SA sonartip too. It seems to be tough and hard wearing, but as you say, capable of giving line burns. It is also not very supple unless warmed up and given a bit of a stretch.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the latest Airflo products.

Hope this helps.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 10:26am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

These are the lines Craig is talking about http://www.flyfishinginxs.kiwi/product-categories/stone-creek-saltwater

There is also a sink tip and full sink version, neither of which I have used but my friend Simon likes the sink tip.

I used a clear intermediate tip airflo line in Aitutaki (can't remember the name and I never keep the boxes) but I can't stand the ridgeline tech as it destroys your fingers unless you wear a good stripping guard.  Which ironically I now do in the salt regarless of the line I fish with. It is a nice line otherwise. I still have it somewhere, you can have it if you want, it's only been used for a week. I think it's either a 8 or 9wt line. Probably 9 as I normally overline my rods.

At the moment I am using these for floating lines: http://www.flyfishinginxs.kiwi/product/fly-line-ilff-saltwater-floating-tropical-suitable-choose-weight on my 8wt and 10wt.  No issues apart from oysters and it feels better at $59 when you cut them up on the oysters Ouch

I fish these floaters up to about 3-4m deep and just use a longer leader as Craig mentions with a fly weighted to suit the depth.

From 4-10m I use a fast sinking shooting head I have had for years. I can't remember what it was but I think it is 300grain DI7 and probably no longer produced.

Over 10m I fish with a shooting head made from 1 colour of lead core line.  It works well and if you slow down your casting and do a bit of water loading it casts ok too, but it's not for pretty loops LOL. It sinks like a rock though.  FishingMad made it for me, he is awesome.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nymphOmaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 6:41am
Silver
Silver

thanks guys. good info. intersting that expensive lines arent miles apart from cheaper lines.

Jofly if the airflo line your talking about is blue with an opaque grey tip that will be the flatsmaster which is what i have already and is rated from 20 degrees so probably great in warmer climates but not so much in our cooler waters. It is probably the only tropical line rated for lower temps as others start at around 25 degrees plus but it does have a lot of memory so ok if stripping fast but slower presentations there is way to much slack. much appreciate the offer.

What is the total length of your leader you are using?

I used to use a float line with a clear poly leader attached which used to be reasonable but i think i stripped the coat of the end of it. will have to dig it out and see if its ok. Although having enough reels/spools to have all these lines on and switching to test can get expensive.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 9:24am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Brad, you dont need a spool per flyline... heard of these? https://www.flyshop.co.nz/product/omni_switchbox_spool.html

Easy to change line on the boat or shore. I use one all the time, throw it in your fishing bag, job done.
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 1:59pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yes, that's the line I have.  Worked well in Aitutaki and I did use it here but the ridges got to me.  I actually prefer a full clear intermediate and used to have one. The entire line was clear and it was great and it sank tip first.  Could even fish poppers well with it if stripped fast. I fished it till it fully cracked and died. Not found a similar line again.

I use a fairly simple leader setup with overall length between 9 and 12ft of 20lb flouro with a bimini twist looped to the fly line on the floaters. I prefer it longer but when the wind gets up I chop it down quick smart.

Same but 6 to 9ft on the sinking lines.  

Sometimes I make a 3 foot long hand furled leader and leave it on my fly line then just loop straight 20lb to that.  I think the furled leaders absorb more shock than the bimini in my experience.

I like those switchbox things, they look very handy indeed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nymphOmaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 6:54am
Silver
Silver

Thanks Nik. that looks interesting. It still looks like a bit of a process but then the whole video only took 3 minutes so not so bad. I usually carry to reels with 2 different lines as I will target different fish.

ok so on the same line but maybe a different angle what would your perfect line look like. e.g no memory, clear 15ft sink tip? full inter clear tip.

There are some new interesting lines that sink faster at the tip so you can have float/inter/s3 etc that may be good for getting deeper.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 7:29pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I have to confess to carrying five rods on the boat on most fishing trips. Each is rigged with a different flyline or a different fly. I figure there is barely anytime to change flies when a different fishing opportunity presents itself let-alone change lines. I enjoy reaching down and picking up a different outfit within moments of needing to. Even off the rocks I typically take two rods of different weights and flies.

Only on tropical trips have I carried a line winder. And then most of the line changing goes on in the cabin at night.

I think everybody should carry as many fully rigged rods as possible and tackle companies should pay me money and send me free tackle to spread this word far and wide

So go for it Brad Don't stop at two!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushkid03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 9:28pm
Bushkid03 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I cast both off my boat, kayak and the shore . For me my go to line is a floating/ inter. I have sinking lines but seldom use them as the visual side of flyfishing in shallow water is what excites me. I fish clousers and poppers for the majority of the fishin I do.
Most of my lines are Rio or Airflo with a lean towards Rio but Airflo I think have the better core for sensitivity. I would like to try some S.A. lines once I figure out which one(s).
I am still searching for a memory free, zero stretch, Coldwater floating intermediate.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 6:09am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Bushkid03 Bushkid03 wrote:

I cast both off my boat, kayak and the shore . For me my go to line is a floating/ inter. I have sinking lines but seldom use them as the visual side of flyfishing in shallow water is what excites me. I fish clousers and poppers for the majority of the fishin I do.
Most of my lines are Rio or Airflo with a lean towards Rio but Airflo I think have the better core for sensitivity. I would like to try some S.A. lines once I figure out which one(s).
I am still searching for a memory free, zero stretch, Coldwater floating intermediate.

The rio flats pro may work for you. Not sure how it handles nzs colder waters though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nymphOmaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 6:54am
Silver
Silver

anything that is designed for flats will have a tropical core which is designed for warmer water and just holds to much memory in our cooler waters.

basically there are two types of core material mono which they use in the tropical cores as it is stiffer or braided multifilament core which is used in cooler waters. this is the one we want for our waters as it has less memory and low stretch.

As i say i am thinking of getting the airflo coldwater as it has 0 memory and low stretch but it is a full intermediate which will probably be ok for some of the deeper 3-6metre water i fish.

I have heard that Airlo is working on a new range of salt lines but I cant remember where i heard it from but then they are probably always working on new lines.lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushkid03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 7:32am
Bushkid03 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Will, the flats pro is a very nice line for NZ in summer like most lines are but it, like the other lines, gets a bit springy on winter. I have a few Flats Pro lines in current use and they are very nice to cast and handle.
I will ask about the likelihood of a new Airflo line from the Manic folk. They just bought out some nice freshwater lines so here's hoping for one that suits our use.
I avoid full intermediate lines as I often find I have to mend the line on the water or have issues picking it up off the water .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 8:38am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FishMan FishMan wrote:

I have to confess to carrying five rods on the boat on most fishing trips. Each is rigged with a different flyline or a different fly. I figure there is barely anytime to change flies when a different fishing opportunity presents itself let-alone change lines. I enjoy reaching down and picking up a different outfit within moments of needing to. Even off the rocks I typically take two rods of different weights and flies.

Im so with you there Craig. Freshwater, I will take 6-8 rods with me typically out on a day.   That way I can select just the right rod for the scenario.  

Several times iv been on a back country mission and a mates broken the only rod they have brought with them.   I always rib them that borrowing a spare from me is $1,000 a day LOL 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 1:03pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Only 6 - 8 rods Fraser ! You're showing great restraint there

I'd like to attend a casting 'shoot-out' one day with multiple different types of line to try from different manufacturers. Especially for those lines suited to the NZ temperate saltwater category
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 12:27pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sounds like the Rio Flats Pro is a bit heavy for its rating. Anyone getting one might want to try one line weight lower first.
Funny how all the manufacturers have different ideas on line weight rating.