Custom & DIY salt water lures

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Custom & DIY salt water lures
    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 11:50pm
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Like the title says.

This is the most productive small hardbody lure I have. The little wiggly bits float about and look like a shrimp maybe. Not sure why, but snapper love it. The foil is stuck it on with the wife’s nail polish, it’s lasted absolutely ages. Much longer than most commercial painted lures. Especially the tungsten ones from ocean angler as per another thread going around at the moment.

Berkely lure from bargain bin - 7 bucks
Wiggly bits cut from an old inchiku lure skirt. - free
Wiggly bits tied on with dental floss - free
Holographic foil - I brought a roll from ali express - will do hundreds of lures $ 3.50
Foil stuck on with wife’s nail polish - free !
Hooks. Never skimp on hooks. These are Hayabusa from GoFish. Can’t remember but I think 2 sets of double jig assist hooks for 7 bucks sounds about right.

Not every lure I have tried has worked as good as this one but Total would be about 11 bucks max.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 12:02am
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

This is the foil materials I got from ali express , lighter added for scale. It’s a pretty small pack. Forgot to mention I brought two. One roll, and one small bag of adhesive holo foil.

This is a lure I made tonight inspired by a post on Auckland Yakers by kingiFidler. The BIC pen lure. My version of the BIC pen lure operates as a sort of mini slider.

BIC pen. - Stolen from Jared’s desk at work
Small length of suffix 40 lb Fluoro
Swivel
UV bead - go fish -25c
New penny softbait tail from torn softbait. Would normally bin it. Tied on with dental floss.
Little eyes are from a broken Berkley jig head. Free as would normally bin it. Stuck on with nail polish.
Bullet weight - Go Fish. $2
Hayabusa jig assist hook - Go Fish - approx 3 bucks

So I haven’t tried this one but it should work as a trolling lure and a dropper with the bullet weight.

5 bucks, and I gotta say. Nail polish sure does smell pretty bad.

Next steps would be learning how to melt down my old jig heads and make my own jig moulds . This wouldn’t be super hard I reckon.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 12:23am
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

One more, I called this one little jimmy.

Had high hopes for this little guy but lost it to a snag on second cast so I’ll never know. Another bargain bin berkley lure. With some UV glow tape under holo foil, stuck on with nail polish. The orange dangles were from an old slider, and could slide up and down on that little bit of tracer. I hoped it would look like shrimp legs. . . But I’ll never know.

Cost about 8 bucks. Once I figure out how to cast my own molds I’ll be banging out lures for the cost of the hooks.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 7:16am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome 👏
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 7:51am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You need to go to the $2 store and buy some cheap nail polish, before your wife realises how much of hers you are using.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 8:05am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Good onya Sanchez & thanks for sharing your ideas.
It's a good feeling when you start catching on stuff you've dreamed up & put together yourself.
cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 9:35am
MrWildabeast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Very cool!
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 2:09pm
kingiFiddla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Onya Sanchez,

Really cool and inspiring thread. Thanks for sharing.

Mine looks like an inbred simpleton from central Nowhere compared to your sophistimicated efforts.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 3:55pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This was my efforts a few years ago with home made sliders, again flogged the wife’s nail polish and the daughters glitter. Pretty basic attempt but caught a few fish on them too.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 4:16pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Hitting the ball sinker with a hammer or squashing in a vice before painting, adds a bit of movement to the fall.
Pays to place a nail in the hole before doing that tho.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 4:41pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

Hitting the ball sinker with a hammer or squashing in a vice before painting, adds a bit of movement to the fall.

Thanks for that I drill the hole again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 5:30pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

Thanks for that I drill the hole again.

I've always thought about doing just what you've done Kandrew and actually tried it once for a very nice gurnard, then Uncle told  me about squishing the ball sinker flat. It was pretty obvious why once he told me Big smile but he is an expert Thumbs Up

One thing I do know about lures is that some species of fish will take absolutely anything, none more so than kahawai. Trout are quite possibly at the other end of the spectrum, horrible fussy, frustrating things that they are Smile but even Slam softbaits catch kahawai easy as. Snapper will take anything too sometimes but you need good stuff for consistent results with big fish.

Nice work Sanchez and way better than any of my efforts
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 6:46pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good effort. Just goes to show.
The nail in the sinker is a good trick - it is a b...tch to drill.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 8:11pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was thinking the nail is a good idea, I’d like to glue some of that film that sanchez has the glitter doesn’t look anywhere as good as that stuff.

All a bit of fun and as smudge says when the bites on the snapper will take anything.