Ocean angler flea paint problems

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ocean angler flea paint problems
    Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 7:47pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I’ve been using micro jigs for a few years now and had never tried the OC range. Love the Zmans specially in bruised banana so I thought I would try the taitanium flea in bruised banana. Fished with it most of the morning caught maybe 10 or so fish but I noticed a lot of the paint had come off and the catch rate dropped off, changed back to my normal jig and back in to them again.

Question is this just a batch problem or are others finding the same problem, I would have expected more out of a $16.00 lure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 9:04pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yeah they really suck at keeping their paint
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote r20b_pp@hotmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 10:38pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Stickbaits with hook rash even worse. Snapper jaws very strong considering they can crush most shellfish, dont think any paint job could withstand them. ( only my opinion )
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 6:05am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah that is true but some paints are a lot better than others.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 8:47am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by gumboot gumboot wrote:

Stickbaits with hook rash even worse. Snapper jaws very strong considering they can crush most shellfish, dont think any paint job could withstand them. ( only my opinion )

This is more than just rash marks, after 4 hours the jig was basically in-usable
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 9:03am
MrWildabeast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thats pretty poor considering the price of em
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 9:05am
Silver
Silver

I haven't found the same issue using the other colours personally. Hopefully it's not specific to the Bruised banana colour
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 3:16pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

genuinely not taking the piss, this lure is a few away from 100 fish once at 100 it's going on the wall! kaveman 30gm orange lumo stripe. does the damage! onto my third hook set
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 5:42pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That’s what my jig looks like after 4 hour, caveman’s jigs are great but I like 20g which he doesn’t have in the hornet.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 9:02pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Tungsten jigs are inherently hard to get paint to stick too. I have my first lot getting painted at the moment.
Company who make my jigs are very aware of the paint problem with tungsten so i hope they come out ok.
When i first getting into micro jigging, i used some very well known makes and the paint was completely gone after a single days fishing. No an ounce of primer used so i have tried my best to make sure that we have used a great paint system that takes puishment as expected from a snapper jaws

www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 8:55pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pretty good advert for a lure if the paint is getting knocked of them by snapper jaws.

Maybe repaint em. I like pink or amber orange, and I am sure nail polish comes in those colours. Recommend you buy your own though rather steal of wife daughter or girl friend.
For every simple problem, there is an effective solution. You could always prime with galv etching primer, works good on trailer to get paint to stick and can be purchased in small tins for $16 at Bunnings.
Is sink rate noticeably better on these lures and do you think makes more effective is what I’d like to know?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 9:06pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep thanks for that, like you I like the amber orange colour as well but I might also strip the paint off and give it a polish.

I liked the smaller size as I fish around 8 to 10 metres and still wanted a little bit of weight with out the size. I can’t see this jig has much action so that’s why I went with the bursed banana colour.

I’m now looking to fish shallow 4 mtr so will looking at much lighter jigs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 1:45pm
Silver
Silver

On the topic of micro jigs and sliders, how do you guys go about choosing colours? Trial and error or change skirts or jig for different colours just as if you were using softies. Or do you fish certain colours depending on the time of year? I use predominantly orange variants during spring summer and then over autumn winter, start to experiment and mix things up. Curious to know what you guys do...

Cheers
MrW
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 7:06pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I like pink going to darker purples in deeper water. Also lumo white with lumesant rainbow colours been good.
Like smaller blue standard  jigs (2 hooks on Kevlar on top eye ) in lightest weight as well, very consistent in under 20 meters where workups are or sometimes just fishing sounder marks. Should really put some photos up.
Quite a fan off japanese jigs as well as the smaller zests in lighter weights.

We did well on 60 gram orange slider with red tassels in weekend, on snapper under the working kahawai in under 8 meters. However getting to that lure required experimenting, with others including my standard blue jig that proved far less successful. Normally not slider fan either. 
I was using the deeper gear as well in shallows in weekend not softbait small egg beater prefer in shallows. Wife was on very light veritas softbait rod  with 300 lexa egg beater, dropped few nice ones, reckon wasnt setting hooks enough as dropped them after initial good run.
My rig was trini 12 With pe3 on a okuma tournament pe2-3 spiral rod. Casting was much more limited but sensitivity was still good. And when hooked bigger fish made quick work of them and allowed me to set the hooks really well.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 7:48pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Here’s wife’s favourite lure. If you see one these bottom ships buy it works in all depths it would seem, and indestructible unlike lucanus tassels she was previously fan of. This lure is pretty close to ultimate weapon, even though hers is quite heavy. I make sure she doesn’t drop near rocks. We were on sand in weekend in corner of a very large beach close to very foul ground.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 8:45pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep those bottom ships sure are good I’ve got a chrome model that works well. I just change the octi colour and hook set which is really easily done.

As for colour I like the orange and dark red colours with lumo stripes work well around whangaparoa for me, but where I fish on the firth dragging bruised banana curly tails in 8 to 10 metres has been deadly. On Friday I had my limit in 45 minutes. So that’s why I thought I would try the same colour in a jig.

So in the summer and autumn I like bruised banana, new penny softbaits and orange and lumo jigs, in the winter I tend to use micro jigs and sliders out around the 40 to 50 metres mark in orange or green or blue fluro and in spring I like nuclear chicken or pink.

I like anything with lumo that’s why I like the OA lightbulbs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 9:21pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some more favourites. These  live in my gamefishing box so if leave my normal tackle box at home always can adapt to get feed on way home. Big fan of heavier butterfly jigs shown in 50 to 90 meters. Smaller silvers with treble Hook also handy for skippies.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 9:37pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

So in the summer and autumn I like bruised banana, new penny softbaits and orange and lumo jigs, in the winter I tend to use micro jigs and sliders out around the 40 to 50 metres mark in orange or green or blue fluro and in spring I like nuclear chicken or pink.

I like anything with lumo that’s why I like the OA lightbulbs.

I know nobody likes a corrector, so I apologise in advance for any annoyance caused! - but the Lightbulbs have a UV dot, not lumo (glows in the dark).

TT Lures out of Australia make a good jighead with small lumo eyes. Haven't seen them in shops here, though - only the standard TT Headlockz. I really like these jigheads from the US, which have a great lumo eye and excellent Mustad hooks. They're fiddly to get the plastic on, but seem to really attract fish in murky or deeper water.

https://zmanfishing.com/cms/products/redfish-eye-jigheads

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 6:23pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for the reminder I did know that, interesting looking jig head it’s a shame this sort of top shelf lure isn’t readily available in NZ. I’m a big fan of anything that adds extra action or visual effect to lures.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 8:20pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I agree. I like to think that on some tough days it makes the difference. 

Those eyes also come in a chartreuse background with black iris which looks very cool.

Ocean Angler has no motivation to import and distribute Z Man jigheads with the other Z Man stuff, as they market their own Lightbulb brand to go with Z Mans here. I find the Lightbulbs blunt more easily, the UV dot gets chewed off, and they are a chunkier hook compared to TT Lures with Mustad or Gamakatsu hooks, but that's just a personal opinion.

You might consider these from Anglers Warehouse in Australia - simple and good value ($20) fast shipping to NZ. They had some of the second option at Marine Deals but in tiny sizes.

The TT 'Big Eyes' look good on baitfish styles, and they come in practical sizes for how i fish. Very good Mustad hooks. I've done well with the Silver Black Glow (lumo) Eyes in 3/0 and 5/0, and the Pink (non lumo, though). Gap in front of the ridges to lock in Z Man bodies.

In these TT 'Demonz', I like the Pearl, the Purple Minnow and the Golden Boy, to match various favourite bodies. Again, they are on good quality Gamakatsu 2/0 and 3/0 hooks that stand up to hard fishing and stay sharp, and the gap in front of the ridges is designed to lock in the Z Man bodies.

Page  12>