Surfcasting Reel upgrade

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DRYLOFFA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surfcasting Reel upgrade
    Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 7:46pm
DRYLOFFA View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey everyone,

Its time I upgraded my Reel, I'm just getting into my fishing a little more seriously and the cheap $150 combo I purchased is not up to scratch.

I'm after some advice on is I should break the $200 mark or can you get some decent Surf/Rock reels for sub $200?

If so what’s some good recommendations

I'm mainly fishing from rocks with small bits of surf casting.

After something that can get reasonable distance and actually pull in a decent fish without my arm falling off cranking it in.

Once I know what I need to look at reel wise I’ll look at a new rod by the end of the year unless there are some great combos out there worth getting.

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Forest grump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 10:36am
Forest grump View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

for a surf reel or any reel for that matter id use $200 as a starting point.

the cheaper bargain bin reels are good for kids and wharf fishing once a year, but they end up in the rubbish or forgotten about in favor of your newer reel.

surf and rock fishing is a different form of fishing in that off the rocks the fish are coming into often deep water or a reef with food nearby so although a good cast is nice , its not really needed. A 10 foot rod will do here.

As for surf casting a 15 foot rod will give you the wave clearance and a longer cast