Powered/Motorised Jockey Wheel

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Almo1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Powered/Motorised Jockey Wheel
    Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 2:20pm
Almo1960 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Does anyone know of one of the above that works on gravel. Hoping not to have to take a 2nd mortgage.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 5:43pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Traction to move a given weight is the essence..
We moved our 5.5m commander around with a old 12hp tractor, on concrete up a slight slope... good tyres.
Was ok in a straight line, put a bit of a turn on  and had to have a solid person sit over one of the rear wheels.. and was still marginal.

We had a rubber tracked small digger... nps.
 And also messed around with a bob cat, again the weight and being able to lift the trailer hitch up and down, changing weight distribution .. nps.. had the same wheels, tyres as the tractor.

Neighbour got a honda 400 or 500 quad bike.. on the flat fine, slight slope, or off the path edge touch the grass was hopless, even with a guy on the hitch and another on the rear mud gaurd.

The tractor , a m8 has it now.. cost us about $150 off trademe.. body pretty stuffed, brakes seen better days, drive shaft universals shook the driveshaft,   the yamha diesel engine fired up every time. the diff , gearbox etc all worked fine. No electrical stuff, lights horn or anything else it may have had,  worked.

We looked at one of those movers.. a battery and a motorized one.. never tried them as going on what we messed with the above, there was no way there would be enough traction..

Make use of the search button above.. there are a few old and very old threads on the subject.
 From memory I cant recollect anyone actually using one successfully unless on concrete and flat surface.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ofthesea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 10:20pm
ofthesea View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Does it have to be that, would an electric winch do the job?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Almo1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 10:49pm
Almo1960 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Am looking at what’s described as Gen 2 mini mover. It’s claimed to work on 7degree slope, has a 8” x 3” wheel and is 550w.
Haven’t got room for tractor or quad.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Almo1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 11:01pm
Almo1960 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Almo1960 Almo1960 wrote:

Am looking at what’s described as Gen 2 mini mover. It’s claimed to work on 7degree slope, has a 8” x 3” wheel and is 550w.
Haven’t got room for tractor or quad.

Gravel I’m referring to at the top is hard packed shale.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 8:40am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Small tractor...think it may have originally been a ride on mower general 'golf coarse' run around light tractor.

Much will depend on if duel axle, or single, weight of rig,slope, if need to turn, or turn on a slope, or how tight a turn.

(no mention of size of rig )
 Suggest If know someone with a quad... borrow and try. If absolutely no traction issues then maybe your gravel will be ok

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Almo1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 8:51am
Almo1960 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks Steps, one of those would be ideal but like I mentioned I have no room to store a quad or tractor.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 10:31am
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Almo1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 10:33am
Almo1960 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yes, that type of thing but I believe those go for around $2k
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 10:37am
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

ye, not many secondhand on trademe at all times. seen only two for sale in the last few years and it sold for almost 2k  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 3:34pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I tried a small tractor, similar to STEPS one, on gravel and it was useless.  Just used to dig itself into a hole.  Just about OK if dead flat, but no good with the slightest slope.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Almo1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 4:57pm
Almo1960 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have come up with a temporary solution so thanks for all your input.
Almo
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Denny Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 7:19pm
Denny Boy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Almo-I bought one of these 4 or 5 years ago to manoeuvre a 5.8m Senator HT around my section. You will need good biceps and strong leg muscles because when you turn it wants to keep going straight. From memory I think those two big wheels are locked i.e. no diff and that is the reason it wants to keep going straight. The upshot was that I gave up trying to manhandle it and sent it back. They did give me a full refund so a big plus to them. I think it was about $1800.00 then. Hopefully someone on this site has one and can fill you in. Also the size of the boat has a big bearing on the manoeuvreability with this unit. I think that a smaller boat may be manageable as the Senator was quite heavy all up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Almo1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 7:38pm
Almo1960 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

My boat is not too big or heavy, I’m just getting long in the tooth and have a dicky shoulder. I’m looking at the “Trailer Valet 5X” it should do all I need it to.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ofthesea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 8:04pm
ofthesea View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sounds like a great option
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2021 at 10:09am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How big/ heavy.. what is the rig m8?
And how what do you want to manover? 

Been here , so the following maybe of some help.

Much depends on the tow vehicle steering lock, distance from the tow vehicle rear axle to hitch. distance between hitch and rear axle.
 The wheel alignment of the rear(duel axle) wheels
 Other stuff that make huge dff is the weight on the tow ball at tow ball lowed height.. most 5 to 5.5m boats should be about 80 to 100kg (also for best towing).
 If single or duel axle... and both of these reversing maneuvering ability change dramatically by increasing the height of the hitch.

To get out boat into the parked position a 96 big horn took min 4 bites .. If one hit everyone of the markers correct well back. If missed one marker it would turn into a 6 ot 7 point turn.. and could not unhitch re hitch as could not get the bighorn.. which has a awesome lock ...around between shed and boat or house and boat.
plus had the gentle slope.

The easiest was the digger and bob cat, could lift the trailer back on the rear axle, and also drop the hitch so was primarily loaded on the front axle.. .

Even used the 1952 Bradford van with hitch on the front.. it was pushing the clutch a little thu turning up the hill.
 The 69 camaro...due to steering lock , low hitch , axle to hitch distance damn near as good as the tractor.

Since we sold up, still bit of a hastle backing up the drive then a blind turn around the house and gardens, cant get too close to the garage as the trailer lights go thru the window towing out
The ssanyoung has good lock..good axle to hitch distance and have spots on the drive when start to turn and to put the rear right wheel over each mark.. mis one cant get the next, so has to be right from get go. 

Doubt if will see a pic like this again Wink

or this

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 3:30pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Trailer Valet is a good option, just keep in mind the crank systems can take forever, but they are small compared to a car, so if space is a problem they could be an option. Does it say if the 5xl can run on non concrete surfaces?

Is a winch attached to a post or a Warratah driven deep into the ground not an option?

IMO the best option is a 250-500cc used quad bike circa $2k

I have similar issues. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Almo1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 3:57pm
Almo1960 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Time to fess up. Two days before my first post I dislocated my left shoulder for the 1st time pushing my boat in. It is a gentle slope between 5 & 7 Degrees on packed shale. Wheel got caught up on a manhole cover and I got down like a number 8 and gave it everything and the arm blew backwards.
Did a good job including cracking a couple of bones.

After much research I’ve realised the slope is steep enough for the boat to be uncontrollable even with a crank type jockey wheel like the trailer valet.

For now I’m going to have to muck about with the car and enlist my wife’s help until I can find a quad or something similar. The boat is a 1450 Stabi Profish with a tow weight of $850kg incl eng & fuel.
Could possibly set up a winch system to be give some assistance & stability.
Shoulder could be dicky for sometime.
Thanks for all the tips.
Image is of the bleed out from the cracked bones. And yes, I have been severely reprimanded by family members. I thought 61 was the new 40.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 9:31am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went to the Doc the other day, general basic check up, chop another mole etc.
 Mentioned how the top of my neck is a bit noisy, my right hip sore, espec when lay on at night, and thumb painful..
 Doc " You are getting older"
 Im 70 next yr.
 Me "you saying Im getting old?"
 Doc Big smile and wink." Im not far behind you, and just starting to feel a few things also."

After breaking a few things one very quickly learns to use levers, pullys and stuff.Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Almo1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 4:58pm
Almo1960 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yup, has been a tuff lesson. Not to worry 1st world problem.
Page  12>