Catching is one thing, cooking is another!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Catching is one thing, cooking is another!
    Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 8:43pm
Islander View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Bit of a newbie on the squid scene.  Recently discovered plenty in my area (accidently, when I noticed them chasing my soft bait lures), so I turned my attention to these fascinating creatures.  More importantly, I love eating calamari.

I've really enjoyed the journey of learning to catch these guys, though still find I have to put a bit of work in to get a few.  But its better than watching TV.

Anyways, over to processing and cooking.  I have kept things simple, cleaned hoods either into rings or cut diagonally, lightly scored and seasoned then quickly shallow fried.  I'm down to less than one minute so the inner flesh is still basically translucent.  But I just can't seem to get the texture right - like how it always (almost) is in pubs and restaurants.  I have even tried freezing them to see if that tenderizes them a bit, as I assume most restaurants don't use fresh squid and probably hook them out of the freezer.  That didn't seem to make much difference!

Where am I going wrong?  These are broad squid, average size about 15-20cm hoods.

All your cooking tips gratefully received!

Cheers all.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 9:09pm
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

How long are you cooking them more? Flash frying seems to be the best for tenderness. Some people soak squid in milk which breaks down the enzymes and also kiwifruit juice but I don't bother. Bigger squid will always be a bit more tough of you overbook them
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 1:03pm
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yeah just a flash fry.
You're not referring to the processed squid rings that are crumbedand frozen?......often served at pubs and fish'n'chip'rs........they're minced bits