Boat insurance - who do you use?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote davidc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat insurance - who do you use?
    Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 3:37pm
davidc View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Who are you insured with? Are they any good?

I'm considering using Nautical Insurance/Vero and would welcome any feedback on them.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 7:17am
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 8:58am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ive used AMI for many years and boats. Ive had two claims met for boats stolen. They have always been fair.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 6:48pm
neil_cb125t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I too went AMI - seemed to be the best value also
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 4:13pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

just got a price from AMI and found them nearly double another quote I got! Maybe not as good a sweet talker as you guys above .
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 4:20pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by davidc davidc wrote:

Who are you insured with? Are they any good?

I'm considering using Nautical Insurance/Vero and would welcome any feedback on them.

Depends on what type of vessel,size etc but AMI were easy to deal with.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 4:27pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have just insured my boat with Mariner.  I was with Club Marine and got a quote sent from Tower, but it was quite a lot more than Mariner.  I was with them a few years ago and they handled a claim very well.  Only changed to Club Marine as I bought a new boat and it came with insurance.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 5:26pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

just got a price from AMI and found them nearly double another quote I got! Maybe not as good a sweet talker as you guys above .
Yes I found the same much more expenive. I was put onto PIC insurance through a boat shop in Auckland.
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 7:00pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I spent the arvo ringing around till I got a broker who covers a small region but focuses on big insurance commercial, he said he didn’t have time for little boat quotes so said here’s the rub. There are only 2 insurance providers in NZ after Club Marine exited the market  IAG and Vero. All the insurance companies use one or the other, IEG expensive, Vero cheaper. He said go to Mariner Online, cheapest in NZ, the only thing is it’s online so if you aren’t tech savvy or need someone local to talk you through anything go through a standard broker/insurance company. They will use the same insurer but add their cut.

A deal - $90k trailer boat @ $750 annual and $500 excess.

The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 9:10pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

I spent the arvo ringing around till I got a broker who covers a small region but focuses on big insurance commercial, he said he didn’t have time for little boat quotes so said here’s the rub. There are only 2 insurance providers in NZ after Club Marine exited the market  IAG and Vero. All the insurance companies use one or the other, IEG expensive, Vero cheaper. He said go to Mariner Online, cheapest in NZ, the only thing is it’s online so if you aren’t tech savvy or need someone local to talk you through anything go through a standard broker/insurance company. They will use the same insurer but add their cut.

A deal - $90k trailer boat @ $750 annual and $500 excess.

YMI charging me $800 year for same set-up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 9:20pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thinking about it there is a point missed. A variable I priced just a one off loan not mutable loans with one supplier as some offer discount 

I’ll try him as didnt today. Guessing they use Vero. Then I can be certain. At this stage Marner online is the lowest
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote baz.shaw@protonmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 12:16pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

One thing to check are the policy conditions.  AMI only insures your boat up to 50km offshore, whereas Tower (recommended by the coastguard) is good for 200nm.

There's also Baileys insurance and Mariner as options also, although I wasn't able to easily see their policies.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 12:53pm
DIY View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I’m just coming to the end of my policy with Club Marine so will be looking for another provider. My policy is ‘agreed value’ so pays out the value on the policy rather than the market value. My boat is a couple of years old and it is insured for the cost I paid new. If I don’t get a policy with agreed value, my concern is that in the event of a total write off, I won’t get enough back to replace the boat with a new one. I have a bigger motor on mine than is usual and it is a very uncommon boat so chances of getting the same again second hand is virtually nil. Has anyone looked into this with other insurers and does it make a difference in the event of a claim.
Oh what a smasher - two eggs and a rasher!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 8:57am
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

There's no substitute for printing off the policy wording and comparing wording for the different policies. Ironically, I didn't look at Mariner. But went with Vero and the policy actually looked better than what I had from Club marine, hadn't realised that club marine was not agreed value! As pointed out above AMI has the 50km limit, and from memory Vero was one of the few that offered agreed value. It was not uncommon to get quite different pricing for the same, or very similar policy from different brokers. So your best bet is to have agood talk with the broker to understand exactly what you get for the price difference. Some brokers offer higher levels of service that you'll need when things go bad. 
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 10:16am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just a note on agreed valie policies, I was with Club Marine on an agreed value policy but they only pay agreed value on boats up to a certain age.  I think it was three years old or something, afted that it's market value.