Rotorua lakes camping with kids - best camp sites?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rotorua lakes camping with kids - best camp sites?
    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 7:10pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm keen to take my son camping at one of the Rotorua lakes.  He is 4 years old and loved his first camping trip to Rerewhakaiatu recently. We have a small 3.5m center console and will be trout fishing. He has caught plenty of kahawai and snapper but not a trout yet.

I considered going back to Rerewhakaiatu but the only thing is that the fishing there did not suit him well so I am keen to do the next one somewhere we can go jigging.  I have not done a lot of it but it's been successful for me when I have and a bit simpler with him on the boat.  I am thinking Rotoiti, Tarawara or maybe Okataina?

I'm looking for somewhere scenic with bush walks and other things to do as well. Easy fishing always helps with a 4 yo Big smile

I have considered motoring over to hot water beach on Tarawera but bookings could be a problem?  We only need toilets really but a nicer setup next to the lake with warm showers etc. won't be bad either.

Any advice appreciated to help me narrow down a few places.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 8:16pm
Accident Prone View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi mate,

The Rotoiti Holiday Park might suit what you are looking for. Secure, has private boat ramp, really good walks locally around Okere Falls and the best lake for jigging in the region.

http://lakerotoitiholidaypark.co.nz/

I live in Rotorua and am happy to give you some GPS marks for the most popular and productive jigging spots.

Cheers,
Josh.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 9:11pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks, looks great but it seems they don't offer camping and my son is pretty keen on camping, he enjoyed the experience a lot the last time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 2:03pm
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'm only really familiar with lakes Okataina, Tarawera and Rotoiti (and Rotorua, but don't think that one would suit).

Okataina has no camp sites or showers, but plenty of bush walks and jigging opportunities.  Given the lake being so low presently I'm sure there's plenty of exposed beaches where you could pitch a tent, but really no camping facilities so maybe not ideal.

Rotoiti ditto - the holiday park doesn't have camp sites available any more, to my knowledge. But the lake is great for fishing.

Tarawera is probably your best bet. Yes, you will need to book a tent site but that shouldn't bee too much of a problem. No hot showers, but toilets and hot pools to soak in.

You could also try Tikitapu / Blue Lake or Okareka Lake. The Top 10 camp ground is apparently very nice and it's just over the road from the lake. And I've heard the jigging can be very good. But I would not recommend them because they're only small and very popular with non-fishing boaties, so would think it'll be a nightmare trying to fish with jet skis wizzing past every few seconds.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 8:03pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for the info, shame about the lack of campsites on Rotoiti.  Sounds like Tarawera will be the way to go then.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 4:21pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you want some spots to try on Rotoiti message me - message Accident prone re Tarawera and Rotoiti as he a local and good man as well. Will try to make it to fishing club meeting next week.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 12:08pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks, really appreciate the info.