supplier info

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: supplier info
    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 12:35pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hoping someone here may be in the know.
I have a Fyran 530.  I also have now - as of today, a cracked screen.
Trying to find a source to replace it.
I don't seem to be able to find a Fyran website and it seems they were sold a few yrs back. 
The screen has a Galaxy Marine Systems sticker on it. But I can't pull them up on the web search either.
Anyone got any clues as to what happened to fyran, and how to go about getting a new screen
Thanks
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 12:58pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

www.seathru.co.nz try them - i just googled marine windscreens auckland - Dont think fyran around anymore.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 1:00pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah there is this one too...

They use your old screen as template and make new one the same..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 1:06pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks.
That should be enough to go on. I just googled marine screens and got an Akl company too. Not sure why I didn't do that first time.
Thanks
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 8:00pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So can someone confirm, Fyran no longer exist?
Seems weird. I did pull up a Bayles F/S notice for Fyran 2015. Sold.
So that would suggest the Co changed hands. But I am getting the impression they no longer exist?
That would be sad - in an era when we must have something like 50 tinnie boat builders and all I know of are flat out - even post Covid. I love my 530 - have two of them. 
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 9:20pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fryan Boats

11 Reg Savory Place
East Tamaki
Ph 09 273 1700

Their website is down so suspect they are no longer trading.
They were still operating 2014...

Wish you luck
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 9:28pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yes I'm pretty sure Fyran shut up shop a few years back, I'm sure one of those places posted up will be able to help
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 7:46am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Smudge. It seems I don't need Fyran as far as replacing the screen. This work it seems is generally outsourced to screen suppliers. So I should be able to track someone down. Waiting on replies now - but Covid may intervene now.
But I was just curious how a boat manufacturer (and well known) can just disappear.
If it was insolvency you would think you would pull up articles on such when you Google them. They just seem to have simply vanished. Weird. The Bayleys link said sold - for $795k. In which case, what happened to the purchaser? Maybe someone just bought the assets and shut the place down? Just curious.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 8:48am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This work it seems is generally outsourced to screen suppliers.

I believe Sandbrook Windscreens made screens for the local manufactures going right back to the 1970s... and still have a lot of the moulds tucked away.

As to Fryan.. was doing bit of digging on older fryran hulls a few weeks back  and rem reading something about another company buying them out, changing design heavier hulls etc..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 11:00am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Steps - Sandbrook is one company I have contacted. they are still around. Unlike Fyran.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 9:41am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Do you still have the old screen?
 The old screen can be used as a  'mould' by a company that cuts, moulds, bend acrylic sheets and have a large enough oven.
 The down side to this is the screen height ends up being slightly lower than the original.
 So maybe worth while looking around at acrylic suppliers as well. The crowd in Duruy Sth Auckland, dont have an oven large enough as at a couple yrs ago.
 Sandbrooks, I have dealt with going back to the very early '70s and mid 80s.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 2:03pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Steps. You are on to it. Sandbooks have come back - they have the mould. Prepared to make me a new screen for $2k. The screen is about 2m long and 4-500mm high.
I have found a local source of supposedly the correct acrylic. Am buying a sheet tomorrow (approx $200). That will be enough for a spare - in case I stuff up, or break another one. Am about to test my skills. have made lexan windows for race car before - but not had to mould shapes.
That should fill in an afternoon. Or day. Or two.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 2:46pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Two grand for a poxy boat windscreen that sounds like highway robbery to me!Ouch
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gkd@igrin.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 3:15pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Would that help?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 5:11pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep catchelot - agree more or less. Don't mind them making a profit, but......
Plan B is to give the other half of the sheet to the supplier if my attempt fails. Can make 2 screens from 1 sheet . $100 materials. $1900 know-how (incl GST). Not sure how much the supplier will cost - but said could do if had the old screen.
300wsm - never seen one before. maybe something I need for the shed. In case I break more screens.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 7:05pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Mr Moritz Mr Moritz wrote:

Fryan Boats

11 Reg Savory Place
East Tamaki
Ph 09 273 1700

Wish you luck

Yip, you used to be able to see Fyran boats lining the inside of the fenceline with Te Irirangi Dr as you drove past.
It seems like it wasn't that long ago that I saw boats, so maybe the company carried on for a while after the original owners took it back over in 2015.

But the site is now Advantage Cars Botany.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 7:23pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Originally posted by Mr Moritz Mr Moritz wrote:

Fryan Boats

11 Reg Savory Place
East Tamaki
Ph 09 273 1700

Wish you luck

Yip, you used to be able to see Fyran boats lining the inside of the fenceline with Te Irirangi Dr as you drove past.
It seems like it wasn't that long ago that I saw boats, so maybe the company carried on for a while after the original owners took it back over in 2015.

But the site is now Advantage Cars Botany.

I thought they were modelled/copied off Parkercraft which were one of the few first Ali boats sold to public in NZ in the 70's.

As production got better I believe the fyrans were a machine pressed into a mould to produce the boat, which predominantly was riveted. So they were never sheet gauge ali, but I dare say some of the bigger models were...

Anyway, Al do you need an expensive glass unit or would a perspex equivalent suffice?

Real blokes look for fishy sign over the windscreen anyway!LOL

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 8:57pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Oh - I will try and stay with perspex - it has a curve in it. Glass wont do.
I will just need to remember to take less green water over the front.It is not a submarine after all.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 5:28am
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Look on south Florida sportsman project dream boat, one of the guys shows you how he bends boat windscreens, good info.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 7:52am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Viscount - will check. Surfed a few U Tube vids.
I have done one smallish curved screen before on a center console boat. This will be a bit more of a challenge in precision.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Page  12>