Cracked it

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cracked it
    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 3:28pm
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

2 hours and countless casts finally nailed one
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 3:29pm
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 3:33pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome! Did you get it in a river? and you have to spill the beans on how please...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 3:47pm
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeahp in a river got some nice rainbows as well. Mate tied up some last minute flys marabou and chinel. Used a small weighted nymph to get the weed imitation down. Very slow strip strike. Hooked at least 4 rolling them but not connecting. This was by far one of the small models. We might try small bath chain eyes in bone fish style hook up fly next time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 4:45pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very good, well done! More impressive than seeing a photo of yet another 20lb snapper to my mind Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 9:11pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yahoo!! That is brilliant Would love to see a pic of the fly. Again, well done!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 10:50pm
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks Craig😊 the unusual thing was the mullet were running in same water as trout so a long way from the sea. The fly that worked was truck and trailered with a small nymph and got broken off when I hooked a rainbow �£. We intend to revisit this water with more weed imitation flys next time 👍🏼
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 10:50pm
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 5:55am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yep, I grew up near a river that was 100kms from the sea, but it was full of mullet.

I also know of a good Northland river similar to the one you are fishing that has big schools of large mullet feeding hard on the river algae amongst the big boulders and rapids at the head of the pools. I managed to catch one years ago on an algae imitation. My fly had tiny dumbbell eyes and was fished right on the bottom, but it was hard work. The mullet seemed to be feeding in the zones where the dead algae accumulates, rather than directly on the algae itself. I felt my algae fly was more camouflage for the hook when they came through grubbing rather than something they had eaten as food. All my drifting algae flies had failed. Not until I plonked a weighted fly on the bottom right in their path did I have any success.

I'll have to get back to those rivers in central Northland and give it another go.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 7:10am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's pretty neat. If you can repeat this and work it out you are going to be a fly fishing legend of some sort. Good work.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 9:31am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Any news Jac?  Would love to hear that its becoming a regular thing Tongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 1:06pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Last seen wandering down a river somewhere muttering unmentionable things about mullet
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 3:12pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I think you might have hit the nail on the head there Craig Cry

Many a flyfisher has been driven to madness through chasing mullet! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 3:30pm
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Fraser Hocks Fraser Hocks wrote:

Any news Jac?  Would love to hear that its becoming a regular thing Tongue

Cracked it might have been a too generous a term.
Have not revisited that water since I managed last time. Water maybe too cold now, think fish maybe that far up to spawn?
Will definitely have a go same time next year.

Could quite easily have been as Craig had mentioned (mutter mutter mullet) if I had been back. Definitely a frustrating acquisition
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 5:32pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I just visited a bush clad Northland stream that is rumoured to have trout in it.

Didn't catch a trout or see a trout, but I did catch a mullet!!!

Fish took a size 10 nymph/wet fly thing with small gold dumbbell eyes. Took the fly on a blind deep drift through a slow patch of deepish water. Thought I had a good trout on. Very stoked to catch it

Of course when I actually tried to catch another mullet they wouldn't have a bar of me

The crazy mullet mystery continues...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 6:10pm
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Now that would have been a very pleasant surprise from a blind deep drift! 😊

Nice size too 👏🏽
Choice Craig
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 6:37pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice,caught some in brackish water and flesh went to mush. Who would of they be that far up away from salt water.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 6:48pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good stuff FishMan!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 10:22pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice, you guys must have extra large patience glands
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 12:16pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Thanks guys Fly image added above.

Page  12>