Fighting Big Kingfish

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CBF-Whk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fighting Big Kingfish
    Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 8:45am
CBF-Whk View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi all

We have been targeting big kings this year and while we have had some success on fish to 25kg we have been dusted up in spectacular fashion a couple of times. We are fishing 80lb and running drags at 15kg (preset on the scales). Done away with knots everything is crimped now. 
My problem is the big fish seem to live within 30m of the pins which after giving them at least a count of ten to swallow the bait they are already getting close to the bush. 
Do we go for open water or follow the fish and try to stay directly above them.
 Anyone out there got some ideas or is it hang on and pray in those first few minutes?

CBF
Whk
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 9:49am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Try not putting so much drag on them to start with, coax them away from the pin first before putting the hurt on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 4:20pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm a fan of Tzers technique as well.
More my style.

However if you just want to get the job done, upgrade all the gear, leader, change line to braid and have a rod and reel that can do far more drag, oh and tie the rod to the boat lol.
Seriously.

I still prefer the anglers technique.
Fisherman vs angling.

You have options.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 5:12pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Take into account the shark equation.
The longer the fight the more likely they will get taxed.
And that is more wasteful in my opinion.
Get them up as quickly as possible.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 6:04pm
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Years ago a local charter skipper who did well catching kings on light tackle had an interesting theory. When the fish feels the weight come on it responds by swimming in the opposite direction - away from whatever this unknown threat is. He would maneuver his boat between the fish & the reef, then put the weight on. 

treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote macka2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 6:05pm
macka2012 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just go hard from the start, I run my Talica 12 on sunset once the livey is taken. This one weighed in at 29.6KG

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CBF-Whk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 8:47pm
CBF-Whk View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks Guys all good ideas and to some part we have tried a few of them. The leading the fish out has worked inshore in the shallows. The problem is we are only getting one big fish for every 10 or so kings and by the time you figure out its a goody the damage is done. We have started taking out big KY for bait and this has kept the rats away. But the Mako's do like a big KY.
I am using a new Penn Inter,vsx on a daiwa vip 80lb rod, 200lb trace. Just cranked the drag up some more so yes are looking at using a lanyard. 
Hopefully some pictures next week of some big kings in the boat.

CBF
Whk
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 8:51pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Seems your putting the time in and learning and progressing well.

You'll have success soon.
But it's not a everyday solution.
So understanding and mastering alternatives will make you a successful fisherman.
And one day an angler.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 9:00pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good question they can be hard to get when on the deck like that. Livebaiting not jigs.......Try this it works for me SOMETIMES and better than tug-of-war above the reef. Other times the fish is too smart or quick. You can use any drag setting you find works. More the better. Trick is a steady clean drag not pump and wind stuff. Drive away from the fish and the reef. Know the reef and make a plan on what way the skipper will drive off. Speed not overkill but not idle either. Don't worry about line coming off the reel as long as its steady. Do not alter drag. The fish will pull directly away from you and then hopefully get dragged along higher and higher up the water column. Steady as she goes till you're sure its far enough off the reef not to dive straight down or back to it when you stop and try get some line back ie start playing the fish. Now you can happily change the drag. The King will panic and there will be little you can do to stop it getting to the bottom so make sure you are clear of any structure. You will know when it gets to the bottom because it cant go any further and will start circling. If your sounder is any good you will see it too. I've been caught a few times thinking oh yeah well clear but surprised at the sudden power they can put on when they first sight the reef again. One more thing too keep an eye on the drift while playing the fish. Easy to get caught drifting too close to the foul again. Good luck let me know how you get on. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote *stu* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 9:10pm
*stu* View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I would say use braid and drive the boat hard to stay vertical over the fish, especially if on a shallower reef. vertical means less reef to snag on when straight up and down. Short stroke heaps and do not rest, just go hard. try not to let the fish turn its head. its going to hurt you but do not let up until you have it. I find there are way too many bronzies around these days for the softly approach. too much stretch in mono for this technique.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 9:12pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Really depends on situation kayak pretty much lock em up as safely as can and stay over top of them, you are not going to be pulling a decent king anywhere on a kayak.
Trailer boat with live bait you have a few options, preference is don’t lay into a big fish straight away and try to slowly tow it away from the foul with moderate pressure (often surprisingly easy), trying not to spook fish, and increase pressure once away to stop it returning to reef. Have towed odd big one out and then pushed pressure right up only to have it wake up and go back to reef. When you lose fish that way, you think should towed it out further out.
Jigs and stickbaits they are going to go berserk immediately, so full drag is best for that and sometimes pumping rod when can to unbalance the fish’s swimming rhythm can make a difference.

We hooked a big one on a jig in 40 meters right in close to a very nasty reef (never fail at back of mercs) around New Years. We locked it up and towed it out at a fairly fast pace with it resisting the whole way, was very lucky to get it.
I bought a 20k saragosa ( the old model)  for $349 at marine deals today.. new toy. And had it spooled 550 meters of pe5, and have just topped with 4 meters of 120 lb black magic supple using an FG knot as an initial leader, will add heavier bite leader depending.
It’s a significantly bigger and more powerful reel than my other jig reels... and I don’t  just have kings in mind for it. New reel is paired with a 350 jigstar rod I’ve had a few years ..a brutal little stick. Now just need to find something big enough to test it  on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 9:19pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Krow’s on money with using sounder as well to tow it out and knowing when your in the clear.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote CBF-Whk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 7:36pm
CBF-Whk View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Time for an update
There has been alot of fishing time under the bridge since the last posts. Used all the advice above at different times but the old adage is do the time and learn from your mistakes. 
Spent two days on the back of Aquarius charters soaking a selection of the best baits available in places known to hold big fish, sorting through a number of lesser fish to get this donkey.

Took a slow trolled flying fish, on 80lb tackle, weighed in at 37 kg.

CBF
Whk.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 5:52pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice fish fella, congratulations.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 6:47pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

wowee that is a decent king alright!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 7:23pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done. Very good fish. Do the time get the smiles.