Can you camp overnight on secluded bays

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrRingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can you camp overnight on secluded bays
    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 7:34pm
MrRingo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys

Did this many year ago with a mate. We stopped in out the back of waiheke or maybe it was ponui I'm not sure.

Is this still legal no fires obviously just gas cooking
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 10:12pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Im pretty sure freedom camping is illegal whether you can only access by boat or by road. But technically if you are sleeping in the boat, well there is nothing against that, which Im aware of.

I miss freedom camping in the coromandel in the 60s, have a lot of heritage in dem hills. The main issue for me, is people were not carrying out their trash. Im not sure if that is the same perspective for the government, but clearly it drove people to camp in sites. 

I think, do not quote me, the worst that could happen is you are asked to move along. This happened to my uncle but he was awake, fishing on a rock platform, ranger saw his car and somehow got down a track very few people know of and told him to move along, but Uncs knew he was not camping, he was fishing. :-)

Don't quote me on that, just some food for thought.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 10:33am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We spent many night over nighting around the bottom end of Waiheke.
 Always slept on the boat thu.
Garden cove nth side Waiheke is very nice.. just go the what seems the wrong side of the rock at the entrance.
Hooks bay, either end depends on breeze.
Even Anita .. there are couple rocks.. stay to the sth side of them..
 Opopo /Waiti bay area  watch for areas of hard bottom where anchor may not dig in.
Front and back side of Pakatoa nice. Watch the back side get a good grip with the anchor.
Rotoroa simlar to Pakatoa.
 Tuck up into Byrants bay on ponui. In the evening you see and hear the weka running up and down the beach.
There is a little bay on the nth side of Scullies reef, you go in thru the rocks.. that is very nice. If low tide do not try to get in or out from the west side .. get bit shallow

All those place we go for a walk, swam around the reefs, and choose carefully if want to sleep under the stars on the beach.
 May find, currently with current issues of pets, and stray vermin like stoats on the islands, both Auckland Council and DoC are not very tolerant these days...so stay on the boat to  maybe cook and sleep.

Edit : When choosing your position, try to get one where the breeze comes down off the land and is bush. If flat paddock, you get far more chine slap at night. The trees tend to break the breeze at ground level.Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrRingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 12:20pm
MrRingo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

We spent many night over nighting around the bottom end of Waiheke.
 Always slept on the boat thu.
Garden cove nth side Waiheke is very nice.. just go the what seems the wrong side of the rock at the entrance.
Hooks bay, either end depends on breeze.
Even Anita .. there are couple rocks.. stay to the sth side of them..
 Opopo /Waiti bay area  watch for areas of hard bottom where anchor may not dig in.
Front and back side of Pakatoa nice. Watch the back side get a good grip with the anchor.
Rotoroa simlar to Pakatoa.
 Tuck up into Byrants bay on ponui. In the evening you see and hear the weka running up and down the beach.
There is a little bay on the nth side of Scullies reef, you go in thru the rocks.. that is very nice. If low tide do not try to get in or out from the west side .. get bit shallow

All those place we go for a walk, swam around the reefs, and choose carefully if want to sleep under the stars on the beach.
 May find, currently with current issues of pets, and stray vermin like stoats on the islands, both Auckland Council and DoC are not very tolerant these days...so stay on the boat to  maybe cook and sleep.

Edit : When choosing your position, try to get one where the breeze comes down off the land and is bush. If flat paddock, you get far more chine slap at night. The trees tend to break the breeze at ground level.Wink

thanks Steps I'm gona give it a go bottom end side of waiheke and surrounding areas. Cheers for the details
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrRingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 12:24pm
MrRingo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

Im pretty sure freedom camping is illegal whether you can only access by boat or by road. But technically if you are sleeping in the boat, well there is nothing against that, which Im aware of.

I miss freedom camping in the coromandel in the 60s, have a lot of heritage in dem hills. The main issue for me, is people were not carrying out their trash. Im not sure if that is the same perspective for the government, but clearly it drove people to camp in sites. 

I think, do not quote me, the worst that could happen is you are asked to move along. This happened to my uncle but he was awake, fishing on a rock platform, ranger saw his car and somehow got down a track very few people know of and told him to move along, but Uncs knew he was not camping, he was fishing. :-)

Don't quote me on that, just some food for thought.

Yeah I'm gona look into it a bit more I suppose anything like that is frowned on now. Another avenue of fun is closed off because of the few idiots that spoil it for the many responsible people
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 6:32pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MrRingo MrRingo wrote:

Another avenue of fun is closed off because of the few idiots that spoil it for the many responsible people

Pretty much bro.

As Steps has said re DoC and Council, not just rubbish ie letting dogs off leash on beaches to chase endangered Dotterel around. People think fat old tinker bell couldnt catch a mouse, but the amount of native fauna killed by fat cats is alarming. Dogs tend to be more controllable, it is not the dogs fault if owners let them off leash in either pet free areas or on leash areas. The end result is Ecology focussed groups are more vigilant around camping.

But I think your plan is a good one, stay with the boat, or at minimum, close by if needing to walk, but don't quote me if a ranger gives you a fine haha.

Im not sure why hunting is any different to freedom camping. But Ive never had an issue back when I was fit enough to go meat shopping in the great outdoors :-). 

I hope you have a good time regardless. Just be sure to take a  number of bags for your rubbish, which Im sure you intend to, it shouldn't need to be said should it mate, but that is NZ for ya. Far from Pure. Only 5% of native Forest left and of the large amounts Ive spent time in, Ive seen waste where you wouldnt have thought any humans would have ever been. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 7:07pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dont try and camp on Ponui island,kiwi etc been released.Farm manager roams at all hours.Wont let you above high tide line.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 8:03pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Dont try and camp on Ponui island,kiwi etc been released.Farm manager roams at all hours.Wont let you above high tide line.

There you go, might I add whilst inconvenient OP, this is a great thing for NZ in its Ecological fight.

I guess you need to be confident if your boat can both house you and can maintain berth. 2 anchors etc.

What boat is it you have?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 10:23pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I couldn't see why you shouldn't be allowed to drop an anchor for the night anywhere you please within reason..although I see at Tarawera, they try and charge you $5 to sleep in your boat at hot water beach..I guess to pay for the disgusting stinky toilet provided...
I have never been made aware of any regulations re achoring up..but I haven't looked either.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 5:09am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Big -Dave Big -Dave wrote:

I couldn't see why you shouldn't be allowed to drop an anchor for the night anywhere you please within reason..although I see at Tarawera, they try and charge you $5 to sleep in your boat at hot water beach..I guess to pay for the disgusting stinky toilet provided...
I have never been made aware of any regulations re achoring up..but I haven't looked either.
The issue isnt anchoring but rather going ashore and setting up say a pup tent.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 9:10am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Stray overnight.. At least a portable toilet, one of those light brown plastic ones from burnsco. Come in 2 heights, so measure your under seat height.
Dont even consider to empty at sea.. putting aside illegal.. far better, easier and convenient doing at home on flat solid ground and the garden hose.

Ideally a standard 2 burner camp stove, with sides to stop wind that fits on the bait board...And a cast hot plate.
 Thu in saying that even when wife and I are camping, 99% of cooking is on a single burner canister type burner with a good cast iron frying pan.

Oh Important, check weather.. wind direction and swell direction before going out.. select several possible mooring sites..
 And check them out over low tide if not familiar with the immediate area.. eg the hidden rocks in Anita ..

And if can see the Coros then you will see some impressive sun rises
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 10:39am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It is not illegal to empty a holding tank/porta potty at sea as long as you are 500m from land or in 5m of water or greater.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 9:09am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah... its not something we ever did.. just wrong especd around harbours.
 More than once seen where a holding tank or portable potty has been MTed  and caught in current lines around islands and even out in the Firth.
 Its sort of like throwing your rubbish over board, except more extreme.
 Just a personal thing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dontpanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 8:44pm
dontpanic View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

There is a camping ground at Rocky bay, Waiheke in the shallow part in the middle of the bay so you would definitely want to plan you trip around the tide because your boat will be stranded anything less than 1/2 tide unless you had a paddle board or something to tender in with.
there is very good anchoring at Kauaroa bay just around the point.
looks like a great facility there 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrRingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 11:19am
MrRingo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

There you go, might I add whilst inconvenient OP, this is a great thing for NZ in its Ecological fight.

I guess you need to be confident if your boat can both house you and can maintain berth. 2 anchors etc.

What boat is it you have?

Yeah probably not ideal It's only a fryan440 30hp merc. No canopy either I've only had it about a month got some good fish though. Slowly adding things as I can afford them
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrRingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 11:21am
MrRingo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by dontpanic dontpanic wrote:

There is a camping ground at Rocky bay, Waiheke in the shallow part in the middle of the bay so you would definitely want to plan you trip around the tide because your boat will be stranded anything less than 1/2 tide unless you had a paddle board or something to tender in with.
there is very good anchoring at Kauaroa bay just around the point.
looks like a great facility there 

Wow that sound good. I'll take a look and a google earth. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrRingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 11:24am
MrRingo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Yeah... its not something we ever did.. just wrong especd around harbours.
 More than once seen where a holding tank or portable potty has been MTed  and caught in current lines around islands and even out in the Firth.
 Its sort of like throwing your rubbish over board, except more extreme.
 Just a personal thing.

I'm the sort that picks up plastic and all sorts of crap from beaches or if I'm out on the water. Clean green NZ..... bollicks I say, there is rubbish everywhere