big translucent ball?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Simon spearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: big translucent ball?
    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 6:23pm
Simon spearo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I was free diving off cape Karikari up north and came across the weirest thing; a big ball floating. It was about 700 mm across and completely empty all it was was a ring of faint whiteish structure. Easy to miss. Never seen it before. Anyone have any idea what it is? It was in about 4 m of water.
Cheers
Simon
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 9:59pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I came across one of Long Beach here in Russell many years ago. It was nearly a metre across and appeared to be made of a very soft translucent gel. It was slightly heavier than water and seemed to bounce/ float along near the bottom. I was completely stumped as to what it was but then found a possible reference to it being the remainder of a squid egg mass. I left it at that, with no photo or evidence of it I found it a bit hard to ask people about it. It was a bit like reporting a UFO. People start to look at you a bit strangely
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:24pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Under water Fishy Object
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:27pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Weird
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:43pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thats weird. Would have to be a big squid to do that. Must be an answer.

Maybe fish have learned to make big translucent plastic balls,and release them to scare fishermen away.

Could be a squid egg sac. Seems one was seen by divers in norway as big as a adult human.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 12:17am
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Dolly patrons last breast implant?
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 6:59am
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Biodegradable plastic bag after a few years at sea?
Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 7:07am
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote JasonEdward62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 7:59am
JasonEdward62 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Google Salp.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote e.m.p! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 5:30pm
e.m.p! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Check this: (and have fun pronouncing blekksprutgeleball)

https://youtu.be/wJMHsi0HBUo
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 7:27pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum