What weight rod for Kingie off the bricks?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What weight rod for Kingie off the bricks?
    Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 9:36am
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi, looking at getting into the sw fly game off the rocks. This may have already been covered and be highly subjective, but Iā€™m interested in what weight rod to target kingfish landbased.

Will a modern carbon 10w get if done? Provided it has a decent reel attached?

I tried my mates NRX 12w and found it had plenty of power but not so enjoyable to cast.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 10:43am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yep, a 10w is about right, depending on the rod and rod brand of course. As you say - a 12wt can be a pain to cast for any length of time, but you do need some rod strength to control the dying stages of the fight around rocks and weed. A 10wt is strong enough for this (just).

It's the big difference between a sand flat and coastal rocks. A kingfish can be eased into shore over a sand flat and some good sized kings are landed on light fly rods over sand flats as a result. Around the rocks you need a bit more control.

My opinion anyway
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 12:18pm
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks for the reply Fishman.
I guess there are 10weights and there are 10weights depending on which rod house you go with and that specific rod.
Iā€™m hoping to go with something with a reasonable amount of backbone and not necessarily 9ā€™ long.
I enjoy casting a fly line and to me the 12 was a blunt instrument. To hear that a 10 will get the job done is good news.
Will pair with a mid to high end saltwater specific reel šŸ˜Š