Osprey vs Kiwi vs Stabi vs Frewza

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote CJR09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 6:10pm
CJR09 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Awesome reply fizfisho - thank you

I have decided on the Osprey 520c for all the reasons you outlined above - totally agree on the transom and dead rise design - add 5mm hull std

I contemplated the 565 and the 545 KK but want to keep it on the smaller side for single handed launch/retreive

I didn't want a ht as already have the one pictured above for going out wide and multi nighters - prefer the cuddy with a bimini for the day missions and better visibility with the kids in the water

I guess with regards to my comment about alloy doing everything a glass will but a glass not doing everything an alloy will - for my particular set of circumstances not fishing out wide but hitting the local islands fishing in and around the rocks and foul ground alloy just a little better suited for that imo and a little more confidence inspiring - the alloys give better load capacity as well - limits seem to be at about 375-400kg in the glass at that size vs twice that in the alloy - i think the 520 osprey is rated to 8? adult - 5 max in the same size glass...

Price is comparable between Osprey and KK - Stabi more exxy, nice spec and finishes but lesser design - Frewza great value but lesser design and spec, Frewza could do with refining and evolving their lineup I think they have stagnated in the market - I'm happy to pay the small premium to go to the Osprey for the better design
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 10:44pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very logical, boat needs vs wants vs expected fishing conditions. A well thought out purchase like this will not disappoint. Now you know photos and decisions around extras is compulsory CJR09 !!!
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Perchase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 7:18pm
Perchase View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have a wee kiwi kraft 440 and it’s an awesome ride for a small boat, well though out and constructed, soft and dry for its size, the guy I bought it off now has a 5m frewza which he says is not as soft a ride as my kiwi kraft , that would be my pick, I also talked to a local boat shop owner here in Nelson who said osprey now seem to need a lot of grunt to get them moving, I guess because of the deep v. Maybe have a test ride down there on a kiwi kraft, even a 5m one before coming up here to try an osprey?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 10:16pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Perchase Perchase wrote:

I have a wee kiwi kraft 440 and it’s an awesome ride for a small boat, well though out and constructed, soft and dry for its size,

Kiwikraft also have a solid deadrise, that would be my second choice for soft riding. Not that any are terrible. But these 2 brands do focus on slicing through waves. Great little boat imo.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 10:19pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by CJR09 CJR09 wrote:

I have decided on the Osprey 520c for all the reasons you outlined above - totally agree on the transom and dead rise design - add 5mm hull std

I contemplated the 565 and the 545 KK but want to keep it on the smaller side for single handed launch/retreive

Fantastic choice, have you had that priced up?

Hit Fishwhisperer up and ask some questions, he owns I think the old 550c model. He seems to use the fantastic FC430 a lot more lately but that isnt because the 550c isnt good, just the smaller boat is filling his needs it seems at the moment.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CJR09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 2:46pm
CJR09 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciated.

Struggling to get questions answered properly and correct info out of osprey unfortunately so have asked for a price on a kk545c locally as well.

Won't be getting too many extra options - only thing(s) i really want factory fitted are a wash down, maybe electronics, and maybe some seadek/similar flooring - everything else I'll either do myself or have done custom after i get a feel for the boat and ergonomics/ layout.

Even then only extras really after that will be:

Folding bimini/canopy setup that can take vhf aerial, lighting and maybe a few rods

bunk/storage fore

some sort of rear bench seating arrangement - I like the idea of a sliding rear seat that can be removed for when at sea - may look at something like that - maybe a couple of smaller icyteks behind skip and passenger seats

I'll probably design and make my own combination bait board/locker/drawer/rod holder setup for the trans although the osprey one is pretty good

The 520c base package is about 50k with a 4s 90 and trailer - I think the kk545 is about the same but has a few more std features like the bunks fore and lined etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 4:55pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I know seems a bit daunting, but dont discount any of the brands to be honest, I think you sound like you are getting what you had made up your own mind on anyway?

Without confusing things too much, maybe a sea trial in a number of boats. just to compare what you are getting money wise and just to be sure you get it right the first time. Just keep in mind what Reel Deal has said, Needs, Wants, fishing conditions. Ultimately that will drive your purchase. That is why testing riding a number will sort out the winner in your own mind (even if you have a fav already) and for your intended conditions and you will feel confident in what is, a huge amount of money in nearly anybodys language.

Pretty easy to add all the extras up and spend a large chunk on after market components. So can understand you wanting to put your base into the engine and hull at this point.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CJR09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2021 at 7:07pm
CJR09 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah all good man

I spend half the week in Fiordland based out of Invers

This vessel is to be something that is primarily used for a quick 2 or 3 hours after work and day missions into Foveaux straight, Milford sound and the southern lakes

has to be easy to tow as I'll regularly take it through to Te Anau with me.

has to be easy to launch and retrieve single handed

as stated in my OP - prefer local manufacturer/agency for warranty purposes

I had considered glass but at that 5.5 or under size they have inferior transom designs and less capacity for the odd occasion where there may be more than 3 or 4 pob, alloy is much stronger in the market here - i think i counted only 3 glass agency's locally (huntsman/smuggler/figlass) and they are the same price point or more than the alloys of the equivalent size.

If my 16' Bonito was a foot or two longer I would probably just repower it and carry on with life but I am reluctant to throw 18-20k at a 46yr old hull - whilst admittedly its in really good nic.

I probably am ending up with what I had already determined in my own head but that probably just shows the amount of homework and thought i have already put into this - I am yet to be convinced otherwise from what I have read here.

People shouldn't be afraid to put forth their own point of view or advice here - I'll cop it on the chin and mull it over if its warranted and there have been a couple of good points made.

Ive gone from a cresta craft v176 to four winns 180 to the custom built 9m pontoon to adding the 16' Bonito - which I am looking to replace - that was going to be replaced with a center/side console but having a mate and our daughters with us over the summer made me realize that its best to retain at least a cuddy of some sort.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 7:57am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you were in the North Island, I would recommend this Orca made APB. Flapping awesome craft, ex coast guard, but in mind condition. Has everything you need including a 9" Simrad with one of those football size airmar 275 1kw transducers. Epirb and all the gear.

Orca don't mess about, they like AMF imo, custom made boats for military and coasties etc.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/boats-marine/motorboats/listing/2951984260?bof=8dGrxcVh
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Perchase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 4:02pm
Perchase View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Did you end up going for the osprey? Really curious to know how it’s going, I’m in a similar situation here, the 440s awesome but a bit small, and I’ve just sold my senator 560, and are now on the hunt for a midsize all rounder, there is a 520 kiwi kraft for sale on trade aboat, so they do exist, that’s my ideal im thinking at the minute...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote CJR09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 11:26pm
CJR09 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Perchase Perchase wrote:

Did you end up going for the osprey? Really curious to know how it’s going, I’m in a similar situation here, the 440s awesome but a bit small, and I’ve just sold my senator 560, and are now on the hunt for a midsize all rounder, there is a 520 kiwi kraft for sale on trade aboat, so they do exist, that’s my ideal im thinking at the minute...

Hey perchase - sorry for late response.

I bailed on the osprey due to poor comms - decided to keep it local after even considering the seaforce - went with Frewza in the end - custom F18 fisher with rocket launcher radar arch, toughened glass walk through screen to bow ladder, alloy bait board, under floor storage powered by 135 Honda - everything else bare bones - ill add other bits and pieces as time goes on

Still contemplating keel strip, can't decide if it's really needed or not - i do do alot of beach work on the lakes...

It is essentially the same as the Te Kohinga F18 but with walk through screen and 135 on it.

https://youtu.be/W4mlGov7C1c

Big wait list though not ready for another 10-12 months
Page  <12