Fantastic Snap To End The Year!! Mokau...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fantastic Snap To End The Year!! Mokau...
    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 12:49pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi All, had a great few days in the small window of fishing we had in the Mokau four day xmas comp. Three days were fisherable until the wind got up around 11am bad turning the sea to big whitecaps. We were on the water at daybreak those three days! Hit the river mouth just beyond the breakers each day and loaded up on Kahawai as in a comp you don't want any bait worries. First two days got some good Snaps to near 20 lbs but wasn't confident until this big boy hit one of my Straylines on the final dayThumbs Up With the whitecaps just starting it was time to get the hell out of there when the fish Struck! A bit pannicky trying to keep me balance i played it in slowly until it revealed itself. At first I thought maybe a 30lb but holding it in the photo felt mid to high 12kgs. A few rocky quick shots on the measure mat as water was coming in a bit over the transom we let it go. It gracefully swam back down, Mick and I were raptBig smile After that pulled the scupper plugs out and headed in draining out the little Mac as we went up and down over the whitecaps. Took out the Comp easily by 8cm with Mick Forfeiting his third place Snap for the Biggest Boat Kahawai, as the prize was better and Mokau policy is one prize per angler. Likewise Steve who fished with me one day had 2nd boat snap but surfcasted two days and won the better prize for 1st in that section. I ended up with a new Stihl Chainsaw, so all in all a great end to the year for the three of us! Shot of the angry Snap before releasing and on measure. Happy new year to all and hope those new years resolution fishing goals come True!! Cheers GBeer

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 2:09pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nice mate im out tomorrow for a few hours fingers xed. got a nice 16lber a month ago.but its not the west coast, son in dargerville gets large fish all the time.have a great new year.Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 2:33pm
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great fish Geoff, well done in the comp, they might handicap you next year Wink

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 3:52pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Shot Geoff - well done on the release.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 5:57pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by lingee lingee wrote:

nice mate im out tomorrow for a few hours fingers xed. got a nice 16lber a month ago.but its not the west coast, son in dargerville gets large fish all the time.have a great new year.Big smile
Cheers lingee! good luck tomorrow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 6:05pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by feeder feeder wrote:

Great fish Geoff, well done in the comp, they might handicap you next year Wink

Cheers
Hi Dennis thanks for kind words! On handicapping Which one- Break one of me legsLOL or putting a minus 10 cm cap on my fish!!Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 6:10pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Grunta Grunta wrote:

Shot Geoff - well done on the release.
Thanks Grant, Great sight seeing them swim  back down to carry on there life.Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 6:28pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mean
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 8:34pm
shad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well done on the fish guysThumbs Up, that boy Mick is a TOP FishermanClap
LOVE THE FREEDOM

SHAD
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 7:56am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Mean
Cheers Muppet!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 8:03am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by shad shad wrote:

Well done on the fish guysThumbs Up, that boy Mick is a TOP FishermanClap
Hi Rodney, yep Mick's always producing the goods as well! Have you had a crack at the Albies off New Plymouth yet in your Kayak? I hear they have arrived.Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 2:49pm
shad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Geoff, we had a trip planned thursday morning, all the wind sites predicted 5knots
south easterly winds. 4 keen kayakers set off from Ngamutu beach, as we left the shelter of the port that wind increased sending us in the direction of aussie. 😯😂We headed back in, water temp had dropped to 16.5c🤔
LOVE THE FREEDOM

SHAD