Luxury boat stranded on rocks in Auckland Harbour

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Luxury boat stranded on rocks in Auckland Harbour
    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 5:58pm
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Luxury boat stranded on rocks in Auckland Harbour for days about to be salvaged

http:////www.stuff.co.nz/national/123827807/luxury-boat-stranded-on-rocks-in-auckland-harbour-for-days-about-to-be-salvaged

and one day later...

Luxury boat looted and ransacked while it sat stranded on rocks for days

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 6:21pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Gutted for the ownersCry

And to the scum that stole gear and trashed it... My words cannot be displayed on here...AngryShocked
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 6:58pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Respectfully Al,
I feel your pain if the operators were us.

I'm assuming, yes assuming that these boat owners were novices.

As they were operating in an area they shouldn't have been in.

There tools on that boat must of been impressive, let alone local or informed knowledge would of suggested that this was a no go zone for there draft.

I'm picking there was incompetence or carelessness involved.

Comfortable to be proven wrong.

But any local knows you shouldn't be in that zone with a craft that big.
Actually anyone operating a boat without knowing where you are these days is a careless boat owner..

As for the crims

Welcome to nz 20 reality.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 7:07pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

I'm assuming, yes assuming that these boat owners were novices.

As they were operating in an area they shouldn't have been in.

article says:
Stuff understand the boat's skipper had owned the vessel for some time and was an experienced seaman.

The skipper, who looks to be in his 60s, said he simply missed the marker pole....
As has been mentioned, the reef they ran aground on is marked by a pole, as is the one at West Tamaki Head (one of the bigger marker poles in the Waitemata). Together with the one marking the outer edge of East Bastion Reef, it'd be a really regrettable error to not stay outside all three if approaching from the city, or leaving the river heading towards the city.
Everyone makes mistakes, this is just a very public and potentially expensive one, depending on the insurance situation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 7:14pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

auto pilot while getting another GnT??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 7:27pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Also wonder, why in these times of increasing criminal opportunism and being grounded so close to shore, they had not posted a lookout. Unhappy
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 9:04pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by v8-coupe v8-coupe wrote:

Also wonder, why in these times of increasing criminal opportunism and being grounded so close to shore, they had not posted a lookout. Unhappy

Very interesting point, V8. I wonder what the situation is once the salvage company is called in in terms of responsibility for maintaining its integrity, liability for the vandalism costs. I assume it's not up to the owner to maintain a vigil once they've reported it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 9:50pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sums up the whole year.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 10:40pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

LOL. What more can you say. Roll on 2021.
Can it come quick enough? Doubt anyone will be sad to se 2020 gone.
Alan 
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 10:46pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

auto pilot while getting another GnT??

yeah mustve been pissed

any local knows that it is very shallow all along the bays - esp in the area he ran aground

you could almost wade out to the boat from Ladies bay at low tide i reckon
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 9:52am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Big money, likely impreassive GpS , location, Radar, sounder warning etc etc etc.
 Then "experienced" throw in previous tracks to follow...and they will he accruate within less than 1m.

And
"Missed the pole"

Really, was there even someone at the helm, watching the sounder, listening for the pre set warning, following a previous track, and looking out the windows.. on watch.

We have nearly been run down by gin palaces 2x time over the yrs.. one so damn close I managed to throw a 4oz sinker over the bow and if had another handy thru the side of the boat.
Only this time the "experienced" skipper rather than hit another small moored boat, put it on the rocks.

In my books fortunate ...

Far too many incidences coming out of Maritime investigations of ineffective or no lookout at the helm in large boats.. commercial and private.

"Experience" doesn't mean "competent"
"Experience" far too often (and incorrectly) means "got way with it far too many times"

Post Options Post Options   Likes (6) Likes(6)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 5:26pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Perhaps I see this a little different to others.  Accidents happen, no-one here knows the details but some are very quick to criticize and add what they think may have happened.  We are all human and I'm sure there is not one among us who at some time hasn't done something dumb or been inattentive.  I recall many years ago approaching the boat ramp in the NW of Western Australia after a day out, something I had done many, many times before only to round a buoy 150m from the ramp on the wrong side resulting in a damaged prop and shaft.
What really gets up my nose is that there are arsewipe(s) out there that are more than willing to take advantage of someone else's misfortune.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 7:08pm
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Agree entirely Fish Addict, way too much assumption and "holier than thou" stuff posted on this thread. Perhaps even a little jealousy?

If you don't know what happened why post completely imaginary scenarios?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 9:07am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Maybe some should read the reported articles 1st and what the owner had to say...Wink

no mention mechanical failure.. weather issues ...
Just screwed up...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 9:50am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Who among us has never made a mistake.?

Give the man a break. He just lost his boat. Instead of condemnation,   fault finding , maybe a little compassion, and understanding. would go a long way.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 10:13am
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Read your own post Steps, full of assumptions about what gear was in board, what was in use and that no one was at the helm! Really! You know all that do you?

I have a fair idea of the mistake he made at what is a red port marker on the end of Achilles point IF he "mistook" it for a port marker at the entrance to the Tamaki River, instead of the entrance to Auckland harbour. Have a look at a chart and see if you can figure it out.

Size and value of the boat, makes llttle difference if you get a marker wrong!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 10:27am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Read my post again..

likely impreassive gps

was there even someone at the helm.....?

Those are Questions.. NOT assumptions.

I have a fair idea of the mistake he made at what is a red port marker on the end of Achilles point IF he "mistook" it for a port marker at the entrance to the Tamaki River, instead of the entrance to Auckland harbour. Have a look at a chart and see if you can figure it out.

Yeah that was my thought also...

Mistakes are not accidents.
This time has been lucky, no one was hurt.. this time

Give the man a break. He just lost his boat. Instead of condemnation,

Bottom line we will have to wait for the maritime investigation..
 They ask the questions as to get to the ACTUAL BOTTOM of this..
And going on detailed reports of previous Maritime investigation , that dont give a "break"  They will be looking very close at those questions I have made.

So the question is , did he screw up, or was it mechanical..
To date from reports and quotes.. screwed up..from own admission.
And if screwed up and that admission is upheld..

Full bloody credit and to the guy's up front admission..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 12:38pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by SaltyC SaltyC wrote:

Read your own post Steps, full of assumptions about what gear was in board, what was in use and that no one was at the helm! Really! You know all that do you?

Size and value of the boat, makes llttle difference if you get a marker wrong!
Correct SaltyC,only port hand marker you take to starboard,why?because our bouyage system works in a clockwise direction. When you come in via Musick pt its corrrect same as you leave the river archilles red will be on port side but as come AK direction its wrong.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wbayfisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 1:38pm
Wbayfisha View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I happen to know the guy. I also have spent a week on that boat, with him as skipper. He has owned that particular boat for at least 10 years and NEVER touches a drink until the boat is anchored for the night.
He made an error and its probably cost him a summer without his boat.
His main concern was/is for the people on board and everyone was able to get off safely and unhurt.

As for the looting, what the difference between it being anchored on the rocks and somewhere else? Thieving pricks, and vandals broke into it, it was locked!

Hope that helps 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 2:43pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Read my post again..

likely impreassive gps

was there even someone at the helm.....?

Likely  you have  an impressive spell checker  on your computer......

Is a statement ( the "likely" only denotes its an assumption) not a question!

Spell checker would  also have offered you the correct "their" 

"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Page  12>