Building the Boca Grande

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building the Boca Grande
    Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 7:43am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I purchased the Swift Boca Grande 12wt and to be honest i,m still trying to get over the concept and waiting for the catch, So you pay half the price and your get a beautifully handcrafted kit set that's worthy as shelf ornament as it is, you then get to build it, yes build it for free! or even better for half the price so they are actually paying you money to build it LOL.
This was my first attempt at wrapping a rod blank and never even thought of it before.
I watched you tube videos before and after and learnt as I went.
The biggest tips I founf my most beneficial where
1 let the epoxy sit for 5 mins after mixing and watch all the air bubbles disappear
2 Thin the first coat by 30% and let the mix wik into the threads
3 The second coat is non thinned and this is where you will see or your imperfections show up, in between the second and third coats take some strips of 2000 grit sandpaper and whilst on the rod turner wet sand the wraps, They dont need much, you will see the wraps turn opaque. On the 3rd coat watch and be amazed.

I purchased the $80 C&M rod turner, I did the wraps on this as well as the gluing and drying, for how simple it is most definitely something you can not do with out.

All in all a awesome project that I can well recommend any one to give it a go next time you need a new rod.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 12:05pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Looking good
I didn't realise you could save so much money! It just goes to show the cost of labour in New Zealand. Then there's all that drying time and checking etc. Yep, I can see how it is worthwhile for Epic to sell them this way
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 12:20pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It looks great mate, can't wait to see you catch a giant king on that.  Now I also know who to ask to build me one Wink