Help a newbie catch some trout?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JNewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help a newbie catch some trout?
    Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 2:19pm
JNewy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

What's up guys, will try to keep this short...

Have been out trying to catch trout in the nelson area and not having much luck, any tips?

Have been to waimea river and motueka river, probably fished around 60+ hours now and only had 1 fish!!

I'm spinning using either 7g or 10g black and gold toby, have tried green and gold veltic a couple times too.

Have read as much as possible about where trout wait for food and I'm fishing those areas but still have no luck. What am I doing wrong?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 3:37pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

These are the best videos I've seen about spinning for trout in NZ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt-s9RtqLFY

I think the guy behind TroutBoynz used to post on this forum, but not for a while?

as you can see, they mainly cast upstream and retrieve/drift the lure down towards them.

From a trip I did down to that area fly fishing, I know the trout are fairly spooky - so being stealthy, and using light gear would be my tip.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JNewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 1:18pm
JNewy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the link and tips, how long would you reccommend fishing one spot before moving on? I try to sight fish first but I'm almost certain some of the deep pools will have fish in that I can't see... unsure whether I'm being impatient or spending too long fishing water with no fish!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 6:27am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I agree, cast just upstream and wind slowly - you often get a take when the lure is downstream and swing towards the bank.
I allow maybe 6 casts before moving on. So often it's in the first couple of casts you'll get hit so don't waste too much time in any spot. Cast into the bubble line, especially if there's a rock or tree stump. Most trout I've caught spinning are from blind casts into likely spots.
Never fished in SI so best of luck👍
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 9:10pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have a look at Dylan's channel https://www.youtube.com/user/FishingForeverFilms

He does a lot spin fishing down South.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JNewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2020 at 10:46am
JNewy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks guys for the input, awesome videos too!

Plan is to learn as much as i can spinning then try pick up fly fishing down the line (hopefully will be an easier way to learn).

What do you guys find is and average and good day's fishing? I used to coarse fish as a kid in England and a good day would be 20+ fish but manmade ponds will have larger numbers of fish than rivers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2020 at 8:57pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A good day??
I don't catch as many as I used to 30 years ago but I still get  loads of satisfaction whatever I catch.
30+ flyfishing on a small stream - mostly small fish.
Now, might get 6 on a good day - less small but bigger fish.
My favourite time is late Jan to April on a cicada pattern fly - or other dry flies, especially to spotted fish.
Either way, numbers are irrelevant, just enjoying solitude, peacefulness and beautiful surroundings are what makes a good day.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 6:17pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Seeing you are spin fishing here is my tip for the Motueka.    Don't bother during the day.   Select one of those big glidey pools just on dark and fish all the water right to the edge with a 3"grub tail or paddle tail softbait just under the surface.    There are only browns in that river and they come alive after dark.    Only put a very light jig head on that allows you to fish slow water right into the shallows.    It is amazing how close in browns hunt in shallow water in the dark.    Alternatively put on a dark Woolly Bugger fly with some splitshot for casting and do the above.   Again just under the surface to create a silhouette that fish can see from below.  Cast down and across at a 45 degree angle and slowly swing the lure towards you.     Definitely no fast retrieve.    One night I pulled out 13 good browns from one backwater near where Norm Marsh used to live.    This would work on the Waimea as well but there are not so many fish as in the Motueka.
Cheers
Rainbow 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tamaterau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 8:44am
Tamaterau View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Probably the easiest way to get fish would be to drive to the lakes, loads more fish and less spooky.

Seen people get success hanging nymphs under a float on spinning rods, dead drifting the outlet.

Rotoroa has so many fish in the outlet, I got bored of catching little fat 1-2kg browns on drifted nymphs so switched to Cicadas and they smashed those too. Huge numbers of fish.