Forum Software Issues

Page  <1 5678>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 8:35am
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cleared the cookies and easier to log in now, will see if it lasts. Hopefully gets sorted permanently as there has been a big dropoff in posts on the forums....sad and frustrating 😟
We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 9:01am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cookies  cookies...
I have way back cleared cookies... It did not change how and what page appears if logged out or have been logged out.
Also the 'soln' to clear cookies (or put a sign up "your are logged in") to have to clear a login issue is not a soln... it is a short term patch soln till the actual problem is sorted..

I have retired from over25yrs in IT back to Dos and pre internet.. most not coding, thu have coded enough to know what does and doesnt happen  and know what works in the data base and called from in the base.
I have also seen and had to deal with similar issues on servers etc in the past.
And not uncommonly come across issues that have been at best  patched up, rather than fixed.
Patched fixes, be it a production line, a boat trailer, a prop,if not actually fixed will always come back and bite you in the rear.
One of the greatest frustrations in all those yrs was being called in after IT ppl who patch up stuff rather than fix, And suggest something like "clear cookies" eventually resulting long  term in data corruption, crashes, and end user issues.

If you had an issue with your engine or brakes, would you expect it to be fixed or patched fixed?
 You are at work and every customer you have to serve  you are told that you have to log in  and out between every customer or data entry.. or have to clear cookies.. going to be a happy chappie with 3 customers on the phone and another 5 lined up at the counter? even just having to do it between 2 customers will boil your blood.

What should happen is
Anyone come to the site not logged in.. looks around ,
 reads a post,
goes to post and is asked to log in or join.
Login or joins
 then the page automatically goes back to the reply that post page or where one was.
NOT to personal acc info and be in a  confirm pw loop.

Not logged in for whatever reason.
see a post wish to reply to..
go to reply. not logged in.
 go to join or log in page
login or join
the be redirected to the acc info page and end up stuck in a  "confirm Pw " loop

This is NOT a cookies issue.. it is a page redirection issue in the code/ data bases

All this happened about a couple yrs ago after a major update that was over several days.
Alone with the "lastest posts" link at the top, disappearing of several forum sections include PMs.

Soln , clear cookies  or have to use a incognito window and have to log in every time.
 That really acceptable to end users???  after a couple yrs...??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 12:53pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

This is NOT a cookies issue.. it is a page redirection issue in the code/ data bases

Respectfully, you are incorrect. It is cookies. I suspect you do not have a great handle on how session management works in a modern web application.

I can reproduce the issue 100% by tinkering with my cookies.
The TFWsID cookie is getting set twice: once scoped to www.fishing.net.nz, once to .fishing.net.nz; the www.fishing.net.nz one is blank. If your browser sends the blank www.fishing.net.nz cookie first, it thinks you are not authenticated.
The problem is that some part of the application is sending a blank TFWsID cookie in some response or another. I haven't had the time to sit down and work out when it does it but it wouldn't take me too long. It's probably when it loads an ad frame or something because it seemingly happens at random.

The redirection thing on login is a complete red herring - the redirection address is handled by the URL in your own browser, for crying out loud. That's what this bit is:
https://www.fishing.net.nz/login/?display=login&returnURL=/my-account/?display=editProfile

You can try logging in here if you want an example of why it doesn't matter:
https://www.fishing.net.nz/login/?display=login&returnURL=/forum/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 1:23pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Been trying to find these so-called cookies for a while now, have taken the cover off the the phone, maybe a few crumbs here n there, but definitely no whole cookies. You lot are a weird bunch.

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wayno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 3:25pm
wayno View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Since I reset password the other day and cleared cookies I have managed to stay logged in.
Was very reluctant to go down the cookie option due to all the other saved data for other websites on my computer, but seemingly (for now) it has solved my login issues to this site. Have not experienced anything similar on any other site I use.

To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 4:12pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You can delete the cookies just for fnet - instructions if you're using Google Chrome:
On your computer, open Chrome.
At the top right, click the 3 dots button, then Settings.
Under 'Privacy and security', click "Cookies and other site data."
Scroll down a bit, then click "See all cookies and site data."
At the top right, search for fishing.net.nz - you may have cookies for both fishing.net.nz and www.fishing.net.nz
To the right of the sites, click Remove.

Login again. If you get redirected to your profile settings when logging in, browse directly to https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/

Or just use an incognito tab :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 9:26am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Respectfully, you are incorrect. It is cookies

Depend how you look at or what more correcly how one identifies the actual problem.

If the problem is ..
a login issue
Or
cookies
Or after some time iot has not been fixed..

The cookie thing has been suggested as a patch fix for some time now..correct?
The issue is members can not login easy..

The problem is ..... it has not been fixed..after a very long time.
And that is the core problem.

The actual reason why is immaterial to the end user..

Imagine you have an issue with say the trim on your outboard doesnt work well.. they suggest that you lift it slightly and use a stick to fix the problem of running too low at cruise..

From your.. the end user point of view, Is having to use a stick the problem, because trim doesnt work well or the fact that after months they have not got the trim to work?

So a use clears their cookies...
There goes all their logins etc of all the other sites they may log into.. and can be a mission to have to go thru and reset all those cookies...
All because a issue on 1 site has not had the problem fixed.
This goes well beyond just fish.net.

And is not limited to just those posting here.. daily we have ppl posting in different threads
" Sry late reply had issues getting to log in again for a while"

How many regulars just given up over all the months?
How many new potential regulars have not bothered, moved on?

Yes Roz, I came to similar conclusions as to what is happening...and suspect it is at least 2 issues related to a bunch of updates and modifications made a while back.

I learnt many decades ago always make a full backup before changing anything, and also backing up any file, data base about to change before editing.
...and yes have on many occasions ended up going in circles finding the change(s) or usually errors made in doing those changes that cause end user problems.
I also learnt the fastest, cheapest, most convenient method to fix was restore the original .. then go thru stage by stage applying the updates and mods...during the next down time (usually over night.)
Those original backups, full and files still exist?
Mine do from decades ago.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 3:00pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I mean yes, in a broader sense, the larger issue is that logging in/staying logged in is kinda broken and requires these workarounds, which many users will be finding offputting.

But I stand by my client-side-root-cause analysis. The last thing the dev/s that are fixing this need is more red herrings to pursue.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 2:52pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Here is a temporary fix from Grunta that appears to be working while the techie guys get to the bottom of this: 

Firstly delete all the cookies set by the forum as below – scroll to the bottom of the Home page of the forum:

Then open an incognito window (Chrome) or Private window (Firefox & Safari)

Click here to log-in, then go to the forums and you should be logged in and able to post. Use an Incognito/Private window for a few days and your account should sort itself out.

>>>>>>>
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 11:46am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Any update on this?  I know of at least 3 members that have completely given up trying to log in and are leaving the forum. These were active members who have done their best to try and seek support from the site and had no response from the site at all.

It is slowly killing the forum completely.  Is there an actual easy and permanent fix for his?  This last fix does not seem to work for everyone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 12:36pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If just managed to log back in after a few weeks of not being able to log in.

I used a different device that if not used to access the forum on before, and using the suggested method as above.

Very disappointing that despite a few emails to the website, no one ever respond? A quick "We know we have some issues, and are working on them to get it resolved" would have been nice, instead of completion silence.

A huge thankyou to Jofly for helping me get access back!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 12:42pm
kingiFiddla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Demand a refund.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 1:22pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

apologies for the login problems but there is work going. New forum software is being developed but I don't know when it will be up and running.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 7:03pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think too many horses have bolted with all the small changes and upgrades. We have lost a lot of good people that have great knowledge to share and some with great humour plus experience in many fields of fishing and boating.

Some of those were paying contributors I believe, as they marketed some of their wares on this forum. And some have been members for over ten years.

Some of us tried in angst to get good folk to come back, I did big time, but sadly most of those folk could not login, sort passwords and simply gave up with the frustrations, and went to Facebook.

Whatever way Fishnet evolves to in terms of hardware & software updates, website changes, file permissions, simplicity of photo and weblink uploads, from PC/Laptop, Tablet, Cellphone, Android, Apple, etc are made, it must be made simple, going forward, otherwise the audience will continue to diminish and fade away like it is now.Ouch
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 7:59pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

I think too many horses have bolted with all the small changes and upgrades. We have lost a lot of good people that have great knowledge to share and some with great humour plus experience in many fields of fishing and boating.

Some of those were paying contributors I believe, as they marketed some of their wares on this forum. And some have been members for over ten years.

Some of us tried in angst to get good folk to come back, I did big time, but sadly most of those folk could not login, sort passwords and simply gave up with the frustrations, and went to Facebook.

Whatever way Fishnet evolves to in terms of hardware & software updates, website changes, file permissions, simplicity of photo and weblink uploads, from PC/Laptop, Tablet, Cellphone, Android, Apple, etc are made, it must be made simple, going forward, otherwise the audience will continue to diminish and fade away like it is now.Ouch
Well put Al.. Wot bugs me this has been on going  for over a year now, and the Techie guys haven't been able to improve anything. I'm on the fence at mo, iv'e started posting on Facebook but just hanging in there on the Forum. I remember the days when there were that many good catch reports posted, monthly prizes were regularly offered for the most likes. Now some weeks it seems more of a political site than a fishing one. I hope soon the log in problems are finally resolved for the sake of this Forum.Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2021 at 8:27pm
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Anyone else seeing two 'General Discussion' links in the Freshwater Forums section?Presumably not intentional? It's been like that for ages...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2021 at 11:54pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yes, that looks a little buggy. I haven't noticed it because I generally just click on New Topics
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 10:04am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Every time 'work' is done we need to re log in.
Maybe because of a re start or something .. hopefully after a back up before hand.

So had to log in again this morning...

'General Discussion' links in the Freshwater Forums section?Presumably not intentional? It's been like that for ages...

There are 'new post' links missing as well.
These are caused coding upgrade errors. When new code lines are added physically added to modules.

Anyway logging on  the easy consistent way.
. phones , new browser versions, old obsolete versions (eg XP)

1/ Hit the "reply" or "new post"  buttons.
 2/You a redirected to login page.     Normal
3/Add your email and PW                  Normal
4/Hit keep me logged in                    Normal

Now comes the confusing part.

5/ hit Login 

You are redirected to your details page... should be back to your reply or post or page that was on.       Abnormal
Dont worry about it just

6/ hit previous/ go back 1 page in your browser
7/ now hit "go back" again

You are now on the reply/ new post page and ready to type.
 Normally would see the full thread above, but only shows last thread

If need info off a post further back.

8/
Hit the go back 1 page again...

you now see the full thread

9/  Then hit reply... you can now see all posts of the thread and can post.

Important IF
 If you do not remember the email AND PW you have registered with the site...then you may find it/them in your browser/ options / security/logins/details.
 OR Email the administrator to get your log in email from the web site data base.
 They CAN NOT get you Password.. this highly encrypted for top level 'god administrators
 They can change your PW

and along with log in email/ user name and new PW send to you.
 You can then log in, update your details... email change PW if so wish.

Normal Logging in
1/ hit login
2/enter email/ PW (if wrong email contact Admins see "Important IF " above)
3/Do not mess with changing details and captcha/ update profile at the bottom of the page.. you will end up going in circles
4/ Just hit the forum link at the top of the page

IF want or need to update Details, PW, email, etc Now ...
1/Hit the Member Control Panel/ Profile..
2/ Then hit the not obvious " My Profile" link at the top of the details form. Change emails etc.
3/ Confirm your PW.. or add new PW and confirm.
4/ Tick not a robot
5/ Click "Update Profile"

Now gets confusing, you remain on the same page which still asks for details...If go down this route you go in never ending circles. This should go to home page or forum home page...

6/ Ignore and just click on forums or any link top of the page..

All these issues are simple redirection issues from one page to the next...not cookies, not user OS, not old or new or type of browser, or if computer , phone or pad.
If was, a redirection like, type a post, then "Post" would also have issues.

Some yrs back there was a issue..
 From memory something like this..we could log into the front end ( reviews , general info, latest news, etc, but not forums (back-end) had to do them separate.
Combining front end and backend.. into a single login has mixed the re directions up in the user details/ login/ of each of these.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishfeeder2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 9:50am
fishfeeder2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

its fish-feeder here...I cant log in under my old handle so had to create another...then im told im temporarily blocked. I dont get it at all.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishfeeder2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 9:55am
fishfeeder2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I tried that smudge...and it still wont let me log in under my old handle....crazy.
Page  <1 5678>