Solo smorgasbord

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 1:37pm
Johnny Watson View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Far Quirk Far Quirk wrote:

Like the Tamure Kid said, that one session contains all the highlights from several seasons for me.  You da boss.  Liked.

Cheers for that Far Quirk. I must admit it took me quite a few years to "figure out" how to get to the point where this is a very realistic, almost average, catch in a single morning solo. They aren't huge fish by any means, but it's still pretty satisfying when it all comes together on the day.

It looks like you do a lot of fishing closer to Auckland city? It is definitely worth the extra effort to fish slightly further north or south every now and then IMO, I find the variety and average size can be slightly better. Though it does look like you really enjoy just getting out there and doing it, I think I make it all too serious most the time lol . In saying all that, my biggest Snapper to date came out of the inner Gulf (Noises) earlier this year, so there are still some trophies still lingering around in close.

Tight lines👍

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 1:41pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Johnny Watson Johnny Watson wrote:

Originally posted by Sanchez Sanchez wrote:

freaking awesome. Gives me the jitters.  

Haha cheers Sanchez. It seems the Slimey Mackerel in the tank in the bottom pic had the jitters looking down at his fate 😂

On that, Johnny, did you just keep slimeys out of a random collection of mackies from a bait school, or did you target them? - ie they look different on the sounder, or you know a spot or two where they frequent...

I went on a charter out of Sandspit once and the skipper was over the moon when we pulled up some slimeys in the live bait gathering at the start of the day. Sure enough they were nailed in seconds out by Flat Rock, whereas the jack macks took longer to get wolfed down.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 5:43pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Another Top report Johnny! Put in the work over the years sorting out spots that hold fish, have quality tackle, and everything prepared ahead you get the results. Exactly wot I do, Anyone on here thats passionate and slightly mad could improve there fishing ten fold if they followed similar steps. Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 6:29pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Yeah boy!

Well done mate just another day in the office

Cheers bro! Found some massive schools of Snaps out around your haunts last night too 👌

Yep when I ain't there be about right lmao
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 6:59pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Originally posted by Sanchez Sanchez wrote:

freaking awesome. Gives me the jitters.  

Haha cheers Sanchez. It seems the Slimey Mackerel in the tank in the bottom pic had the jitters looking down at his fate 😂

On that, Johnny, did you just keep slimeys out of a random collection of mackies from a bait school, or did you target them? - ie they look different on the sounder, or you know a spot or two where they frequent...

I went on a charter out of Sandspit once and the skipper was over the moon when we pulled up some slimeys in the live bait gathering at the start of the day. Sure enough they were nailed in seconds out by Flat Rock, whereas the jack macks took longer to get wolfed down.

TTK, I kept some smaller-medium sized Slimey Macs which I managed in between a school of Jack Macs. I left that spot and started heading towards my destination, pretty confident I would mark more bait sign on my way and drop sabikis into (my TM185M shows bait sign as a vertical line at full speed which rocks!). Well I got all of 2-300 meters and marked a solid ball of bait. I marked it then went back around and bingo, an absolute haystack of massive Slimeys. I landed 2 donkeys, dropped 2 donkeys at the boat, and had 2 sets of sabikis smashed to smithereens by the time they scattered.

When you see bigs schools of Slimey Macs they are easy to distinguish. They come up as a very dense ball on my sounder, the brightest colour return your palette setting will give! Very similar to schools of Pilchards in ways, though the individual targets are absolutely bigger when zoomed in in CHIRP. When they are with Jack's you may or may not see the difference in the marks.

I actually prefer Jack Macs or Slimeys as fresh and livebait in most scenarios, but as you found they can be better in certain areas. The bigger ones are good liveys, but the smaller ones aren't as resilient as the Jack's.

Spring time seems to be a really good time to catch them in the Gulf, and they aren't too hard find out off Omaha at the moment. There are actually plenty of Koheru to be caught up there too if you know how, I've loaded up on 20-30 barrels up there some mornings, but those things are a whole different ball game altogether lol.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 7:14pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Another Top report Johnny! Put in the work over the years sorting out spots that hold fish, have quality tackle, and everything prepared ahead you get the results. Exactly wot I do, Anyone on here thats passionate and slightly mad could improve there fishing ten fold if they followed similar steps. Beer

Cheers Geoff, the fishing has been good and so has the weather most weekends. Nothing too big, but decent size and a few species on offer.

You nailed it when you said "spots that hold fish, have quality tackle, and everything prepared ahead you get the results". Finding spots that hold fish is a must. Quality gear can mean the difference between landing or losing the fish of a lifetime, and gives real confidenceto the angler. I have all my rigs tied and rigs/tackle ready for almost anything that happens to happen on any given day. Can take the smallest of adjustments some days to buy a bite, then somedays anything goes.

Hope that west coast plays ball for you again soon 🍻

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 7:15pm
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah boy!

Well done mate just another day in the office

Cheers bro! Found some massive schools of Snaps out around your haunts last night too 👌

Yep when I ain't there be about right lmao

Don't worry mate I took good care of them for ya 😂
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 8:13pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep its been rubbish since my last postThumbs DownWesterlies and ugly seas. Bit of a bummer as November the best month here for the big Snaps! At least they putting on weight for next time out Big smile keep the posts coming Johnny!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 8:21pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Yep its been rubbish since my last postThumbs DownWesterlies and ugly seas. Bit of a bummer as November the best month here for the big Snaps! At least they putting on weight for next time out Big smile keep the posts coming Johnny!!!!

I'm sure those easterlies will roll through soon enough, and I'm sure you'll make up for lost time when they do! Cheers
Page  <12