Solo smorgasbord

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solo smorgasbord
    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 11:54am
Johnny Watson View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Belated TR from last weekend. Did well on a solo mission up around Omaha and Kawau. Came across a massive workup in the morning, so lobbed out a Kingy jig in amongst it. Ended up catching 5 Snapper on that quickly up to about 10 pound. I left the mounting number of JAFFAS behind and carried on to the intended spot x. Dropped the pick on arrival and put out a massive live Slimey Mackerel. That got hammered by a Kingfish quickly, and got shadowed to the boat by a big Bronze Whaler Shark... I whipped the hook out its gob and chucked in the second and last massive Slimey Mackerel with urgency, as the Kings can be all on or all off in a matter of seconds. Well it lasted about 15 seconds and I was hooked up again, and again it was shadowed by the Shark. Good start! I started deploying Snapper baits and the Snapper were absolutely destroying the big baits. I landed plenty of good ones up to 17.5 pounds, and missed some smoking runs.... I put a smaller Slimey Mackerel out the back again, and that got hit after about an hour resulting in another nice little Kingfish. I had done well here so shot back to another spot x to try for a John Dory or 3 closer to the ramp. I managed 3 good ones over an hour or so, with one being a beauty at 6 pounds. I dropped a few solid ones too... Landed another small King and 2 more good Snapper here before pulling the pick and heading in early afternoon. Pretty hard to beat this time of the year πŸ‘Œ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 2:39pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There are trip reports, Johnny, and then there's flat out rubbing our noses in it!! Big smileThat would pretty much be the highlights of a season or two for me, and you manage it in one trip...
Great effort. There's real skill in landing that medley of fish with the variety of techniques you mention. Well done, mate. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 2:57pm
MrWildabeast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good stuff and those Jonnys look awesome Thumbs Up
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 4:59pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nice
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 5:05pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very well done JWClap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 5:30pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 6:52pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

There are trip reports, Johnny, and then there's flat out rubbing our noses in it!! Big smileThat would pretty much be the highlights of a season or two for me, and you manage it in one trip...
Great effort. There's real skill in landing that medley of fish with the variety of techniques you mention. Well done, mate.Β 

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Had a good laugh at your response TTK. Well you wanted reports, now you are getting them lol.

I've managed to find a few really productive and reliable spots north of Auckland over the last few years, both these ones I only fish on the outgoing tide (can be hard to choose which one to pick!). These hauls are pretty much average and what I expect at this time of year tbh. The fish are always there on the right tide, and it's just really a matter of sending down live or big fresh dead baits into their waiting mouths, and of course timing the strikes right....

I went out again for a strayline last night and did pretty good, though not as good as this trip, but that will be another report soon πŸ˜‰

I appreciate the feedback mate. Cheers πŸ‘
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 6:57pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MrWildabeast MrWildabeast wrote:

Good stuff and those Jonnys look awesome Thumbs Up

Cheers Mr Wildabeast. The John Dory sure are awesome looking and tasting fish! Massive fatty fillets came off that big one. I'm lucky enough to have a mark that produces them very consistently, with 14 being my best catch by myself in a few hours, and multiple times I've landed over 10 and dropped at least that number again winding them up!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 6:58pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by lingee lingee wrote:

nice

Cheers Lingee πŸ‘
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 6:59pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Very well done JWClap

Cheers Catchelot, appreciate the feedback ✌
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 7:00pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Telecaster Telecaster wrote:

Nice work!

Cheers Telecaster, such a great time of year up there πŸ‘Œ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 7:26pm
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

freaking awesome. Gives me the jitters.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 7:36pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Delicious mixed bag there, not sure which one I would eat first.

(Probably Kingfish sashimi entree then JD main...)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 7:44pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Sanchez Sanchez wrote:

freaking awesome. Gives me the jitters.Β Β 

Haha cheers Sanchez. It seems the Slimey Mackerel in the tank in the bottom pic had the jitters looking down at his fate πŸ˜‚
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 7:49pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Rozboon Rozboon wrote:

Delicious mixed bag there, not sure which one I would eat first.

(Probably Kingfish sashimi entree then JD main...)

It sure was some amazing eating Rozboon. They are all so bloody tasty in their own rights!

Actually just finished the last bits of JD and Snapper in beer batter half an hour ago, was vacuum packed in the freezer. Tastes like it was caught yesterday πŸ‘Œ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 9:01pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah boy!

Well done mate just another day in the office
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 9:14pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Yeah boy!

Well done mate just another day in the office

Cheers bro! Found some massive schools of Snaps out around your haunts last night too πŸ‘Œ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 8:18am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cool report

I've managed to find a few really productive and reliable spots north of Auckland over the last few years, both these ones I only fish on the outgoing tide (can be hard to choose which one to pick!). These hauls are pretty much average and what I expect at this time of year tbh.

And classic example of of why 5% of rec fishermen catch 95% of rec fish.
Keeping historic records.  I found once figured out the bottom end, it was more a quick prospect of a couple locations that would be coming into 'season' on the way out to planed spots. And those was more gps than sounder fishing.
Once have the 'records' one always goes home with a feed.

Mark Twain : " luck is directly proportional to the effort put in"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 12:55pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Like the Tamure Kid said, that one session contains all the highlights from several seasons for me.  You da boss.  Liked.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 1:24pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Cool report

I've managed to find a few really productive and reliable spots north of
Auckland over the last few years, both these ones I only fish on the
outgoing tide (can be hard to choose which one to pick!). These hauls
are pretty much average and what I expect at this time of year tbh.

Β And classic example of of why 5% of rec fishermen catch 95% of rec fish.
Keeping historic records.Β  I found once figured out the bottom end, it was more a quick prospect of a couple locations that would be coming into 'season' on the way out to planed spots. And those was more gps than sounder fishing.
Once have the 'records' one always goes home with a feed.

Mark Twain : " luck is directly proportional to the effort put in"

Cheers Steps. You are onto it. I have filled out a fishing and diving log book for almost ten years now without missing an entry, it is very worthwhile. Can be a bit tedious keeping up with entries at times (mine are very descriptive), but jotting down the main points on a bit of paper then completing it later on isn't so bad.

As for effort, I always give 110% when it comes to fishing!!! It's a bloody grueling "hobby", crazy early starts and late finishes, extreme weather in a open boat, massive clean ups and preperation, servicing the boat and gear, fishing tackle and fishing gear costs, petrol and diesel....... But I wouldn't give it up for anything!!!

Page  12>