More Mullet !

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More Mullet !
    Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 12:00pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Third cast this morning Fish gave me one helluva fight in amongst oyster covered rocks. I badly needed to see if it was hooked in the mouth so jumped in waist deep and chased it around. The 6lb tippet would have broken the instant it touched an oyster. Luckily I eventually got it on the beach. Very happy! My biggest mullet yet!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 2:05pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You joining the big guns with that capture mate - well done sir

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 2:14pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very cool Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 2:38pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Any idea of how many hours per mullet caught Craig?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 3:06pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

If I ignore the thirty years I've spent casting at them then today I would say they only take ten minutes

The big question is- "did I get lucky?" Was it a fluke? Time will tell
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 8:30pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mean effort. Bet they give you a good scrap too. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 2:40pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done 👍
Never fished for mullet, apart from jagging with a weighted treble.
I'm guessing you're fly resembles a bit of sea weed - did you let it drift or retrieve it?
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 2:54pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I've heard the stories, I've now seen the proof that's awesome Craig. I bow shot a grey mullet once and they are so much more cagey than a koi. As soon as you lift the bow they hit the fast switch. Waving your arms around like i would do definitely wouldn't work Big smile
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 4:00pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yep, they're very flighty, but I find they quickly regroup and get back to what they were doing once the danger has passed. I suppose when you're a algae/detritus feeder you can't afford to stop feeding for too long.

Fishb8, the fly is small and fluoro green, but I fished it on a steady retrieve. Obviously no one has told mullet that algae doesn't swim

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 5:49pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by FishMan FishMan wrote:

Yep, they're very flighty, but I find they quickly regroup and get back to what they were doing once the danger has passed. I suppose when you're a algae/detritus feeder you can't afford to stop feeding for too long.

Fishb8, the fly is small and fluoro green, but I fished it on a steady retrieve. Obviously no one has told mullet that algae doesn't swim

I told them, but they didn't listen
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 6:15pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The Kiwi Bonefish, very nice!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 7:51am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fantastic Clap Now you'ré hooked, a bit like gambling LOL you're in trouble now. Nek minute and another 30 years later LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 8:24am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post has me wondering..
Last week son was on the coast, and  schools mullet coming into the surf. So hes thinking take the net out and stock up the bait freezers.
Would fly fishing mullet on the coast, in the flat areas  between the surf be feasible?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 11:45am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I don't see why not. You've just got to contend with those big west coast sweeping waves and be sure that there is mullet right in front of you. Part of the puzzle is finding feeding mullet in a location where you can easily (and quietly) cast a fly to them. West coast surf might be difficult in that regard. There always seems to be plenty in those waves though
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 6:14pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

im waiting for you to repeat your sucess,before i even think of tryingLOL,

Good effort seroiusly,Thumbs Up
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 9:21pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Ha ha Yep, you and millions of others
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 8:46am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great work Craig!  Dam yea, If you can get them wired then they are an amazing target.  

Iv hooked a couple of mullet in years past (Swan river, Western Australia), and they do go like stink hey? Keep trying and let us know if you manage to replete the capture.  As I remember a dead drift while just keeping tension to the fly was the way with the mullet (I believe sea mullet) in WA.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 2:22pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yeah Fraser, they're a species with a lot of challenges. The fact that fly fishers are the only people catching them is great. There's a whole lot of fun for a whole lot of people to be had out of this fish. The fact that they're a sight fishing target and penetrate into estuaries right in urban environments means they have a huge potential. I just hope I can repeat my recent success!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 4:29pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They do catch them on floated bread in the UK.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 4:32pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We get big shoals of them in the Waikato, up to Cambridge. Must give them a go. Might try the chartreuse maribou fly or even a spinning rod with a clear float and a hook with green stuff on a dropper.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Page  12>