Secret sauce

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Secret sauce
    Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:36pm
MrWildabeast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

With all the flavours available, I have been using  anchovy garlic consistently over the last few years but recently grabbed a bottle of drag juice for a change. Just wondering if you guys have a go to flavour when using Zmans or have noticed a difference?
Apologies if this has been thrashed out before Pinch

Cheers
Dave

Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:09pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think all of the flavours work and help with the attraction, but that is just my opinion.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 5:08pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Agree with Al
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 5:20pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This secret sauce stuff,do you roll softie in it first or let them soak overnight??is it different to juice in softie bag??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 5:29pm
MrWildabeast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I normally put a dab on the softie and tpp up with another smear as it dissipates while fishing. Not like gulp juice when the bait is fully immersed and disburses really quickly
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 5:41pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks,have 2 different Zmans here and look dry compared to gulp.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 5:58pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

This secret sauce stuff,do you roll softie in it first or let them soak overnight??is it different to juice in softie bag??

You squeeze a bit and smear that under the cut/groove on the underside and a bit around the head where head meets the plastic.

Repeat after about every three to four casts.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 6:00pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Most of the newer Zmans are scented but not like that of a Gulp they are much different. But adding the sauce does help lots.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 6:01pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Another type, not sure if they are around anymore were the Squidgies  (Oz) and they had their own Squidgies past where you just sweared it over the body of the softee.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 7:11pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Al.All foreign to me but we are getting there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 8:04pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Try not to get it on your reel/braid very sticky and hard to clean off.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 8:48pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They are made of completely different substances, as you probably realise. The Z Mans are much more rubbery than Gulp to the touch, and are obviously dry because they haven't been sitting in the stinky juice.
It's quite scary what Z Man will do to plastic containers etc, warping them. So keep them in their packets if you can. 
And DON'T mix them with other brands.
But you need to look after the Gulps in their juice, otherwise they dry out in just a few minutes and go very hard.

Like others have mentioned, the Secret Sauce (scent marketed by Ocean Angler) or Pro-Cure (TT Lures brand for Z Mans in Australia) is smeared on in the slot or on the body and lasts a little while. Pro-Cure is stickier and lasts longer in my experience.

My personal view is that the additive isn't as much of a factor in the shallows or when fish are aggressive on the drop - they hit it first and ask questions later - but I feel it's an advantage when the snapper are grubbing around on the bottom in summer, or if fishing is hard. Gives them an incentive to hang on and hopefully get hooked.
In the past, I have bought Mullet, Anchovy & Garlic, Drag Juice and I also used a bottle of Bloody Tuna that i found floating in a bunch of seaweed out on the water. No noticeable difference in terms of catch rate.

I keep both Z Mans and Gulp (in very water tight tubs!!) in the boat and switch around depending on how the fishing is going, and the territory I'm fishing. It's helpful to use a TT Lures jighead or an Ocean Angler Lightbulb if you are using Z Man as they have a keeper designed specifically for the stretchyness of Z Mans. I use Mustad or Berkley for Gulps.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 8:50pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Another type, not sure if they are around anymore were the Squidgies  (Oz) and they had their own Squidgies past where you just sweared it over the body of the softee.

X Factor is their 'brand' name. Still quite popular in Australia.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 9:30pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

My personal view is that the additive isn't as much of a factor in the shallows or when fish are aggressive on the drop - they hit it first and ask questions later - but I feel it's an advantage when the snapper are grubbing around on the bottom in summer, or if fishing is hard.

That's my take on it too Thumbs Up

I went back to using Gulp over winter (admittedly fished vertically in deep water rather than classic soft bait style) and results were damn good. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Helmsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 11:15pm
Helmsy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I run the Pro-Cure stuff, Pro-Cure actually produces the secret sauce for Ocean Angler. All of the Pro-Cure range has a super high UV content as well as the scent so it also adds a visual attraction to the lure. 
They have quite a cool range too, you can get it in the standard 2oz bottles, 4oz bottles with a super bright UV purple or red dye added to it, an 8oz big bottle, 4oz slider skirt spray and a bait wax that binds to slow jigs really well
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 6:47am
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I don't use it, it's their way of getting more sales and money out of you that isn't necessary, I genuinely haven't noticed a difference on days with mates fishing on other boats who use it.

think about what the soft bait is doing and why the fish are eating them... they are designed to imitate the look and movement of a bait fish.   do alive bait fish have scent under water?

if a snapper is hungry and you have put something near it it will eat it they really aren't fussy

stop over thinking it
cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 8:48am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by spin king spin king wrote:

I don't use it, it's their way of getting more sales and money out of you that isn't necessary, I genuinely haven't noticed a difference on days with mates fishing on other boats who use it.

think about what the soft bait is doing and why the fish are eating them... they are designed to imitate the look and movement of a bait fish.   do alive bait fish have scent under water?

if a snapper is hungry and you have put something near it it will eat it they really aren't fussy

stop over thinking it
cheers
good point.can you smell things under water??fart in a bath and only smells when it breaks tgesurface
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 10:30am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nothing smells underwater, but flavours can be tasted which raises another question. How valuable are non-water soluble attractants, e.g oils, fats and I suspect Secret Sauce and the like. If they don't dissolve in water, they can't be disseminated, so will have zero value unless the fish actually takes a bite.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 12:43pm
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Usually go for bloody tuna but will buy whatever available. Put it on softies and slider skirts.
Can't see that it works any better with than without but for the sake of a dab every now and then why not? 😂
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 12:49pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It appears they can smell but not in the sense we do as fish nostrils are not connect to throat but rather the stomach.

Smell, or olfaction, as scientists call it, is an important sense for many fish. Those little holes that look like nostrils are called nares. Nares don't lead to the throat the way nostrils do in mammals, but open up into a chamber lined with sensory pads.

Olfactory Systems Of A Fish

Not all fish move water in and out through these nares in quite the same ways, but key to a strong sense of smell for fish is the ability to move water rapidly over these sensory pads.

Some fish can pick up chemical signals when immobile by pumping water through their olfactory system via tiny hairs called cilia.

Page  12>