Kiwi fishermen have balls of steel, big ones

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote luckydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kiwi fishermen have balls of steel, big ones
    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 2:40pm
luckydude View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 4:33pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by luckydude luckydude wrote:

Holy crap.

Not always as calm as that  ...  there is a memorial plinth on the sea wall with the numerous names of those that never made it back in.

There is another clip taken on a REALLY rough day & all the while the skipper is sipping a hot coffee without spilling a drop ... as you rightly put it .... balls of steel indeed.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 5:20pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

Holy crap.

Not always as calm as that  ...  there is a memorial plinth on the sea wall with the numerous names of those that never made it back in.

There is another clip taken on a REALLY rough day & all the while the skipper is sipping a hot coffee without spilling a drop ... as you rightly put it .... balls of steel indeed.

All in the day of the life of a westcoast fisherman. You should see it when the sea is up and its rough mate, that was a calm day...Clap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Twosix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 6:10pm
Twosix View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

looked pretty calm with a gentle swell
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 6:23pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep- go to a couple of pubs in Greymouth and go look at some of the pics on the walls. 
They will make ya nuts shrivel. That vid is almost flat calm compared to some of the crazy sh-t that skippers have taken there vessels through. Hats off indeed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 7:43pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep , seen before. Calm day. No wind chop. River is in flood.
Can you imagine a mechanical failure?
Looks like tuna poles.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 9:26pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Don't stress Luckydude that isn't the sort of stuff we do as recreational fishermen.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 9:27pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote luckydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 4:00am
luckydude View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Smudge, that looked very calm compared to what I'm used to in California.  I've never been out in less than a 3 foot swell, we consider 3' @ 11 seconds to be flat.  5' @ 11s is pretty normal.  Our crab opener was 15' @ 11s and people went out in that (I did not, I've only got 3 years experience, and less than 1 year as captain, I pick my days so I can come home).

What were you talking about on the radio towards the beginning?  Was the woman with the coast guard or something?

And who's the cheeky kid that didn't want to be filmed?  You were going pretty fast to be trying to fish up bait.

Thanks for the video, looked like a great day!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 4:27pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You should come and fish with us some time Luckydude.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 4:49pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The dog was overweight.
And the blue boat was underpowered.

Surely risky even if considered calm.

About time the west coast go funds to give better breakwater entrances then that.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote luckydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 4:59pm
luckydude View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I'm trying to come fish with you guys, have to get my family on board.  I've got 3 out 4 on board, need to get the 4th.

When I do, I'm bringing my Grady White 228, it seems like it will like your waters and I want to do a 2, 3, 4 boat launch and go fish with you.

Smudge, your run back looked like my ocean, smacks you a bit.  I do the same thing, run in over the guy in fronts wake, it doesn't kill the swells but it smooths out the chop.

All of you saying that was a nice day in the video, um, either you are taking the piss or those balls are bigger than I can imagine.  Those were big boats, they could not be seen in the troughs.  If that is fine I'm not fit to bring you a beer.

I'm not a wuss,  I've been out in a canoe in Lake Superior with my dad in 6 foot (2 meter) waves, we did it.  But that **** that you deal with like it is nothing, yeah, that is not for me, I'm never going to be that good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 8:28am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I went over that west coast bar a few weeks back in the 12ft tinny. 3/4 of the way out we lost all power and steering. Luckily we were both wearing jandles and able to use 1 pair for steering and 1 pair for propulsion.
Lesson learned, buy some decent jandles from the Warehouse, not the $2 shop.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote luckydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 8:57am
luckydude View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

I went over that west coast bar a few weeks back in the 12ft tinny. 3/4 of the way out we lost all power and steering. Luckily we were both wearing jandles and able to use 1 pair for steering and 1 pair for propulsion.

I had to go look up jandle, never heard that term before.

So are you joking or did you literally scull yourself home with boats?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 10:18am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

he's joking. No that Grey river bar is nasty and they were commercial fisherman. That was scary stuff
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 10:29am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Jandals were invented in Australia cos it requires a 1. 2 IQ rating to tie up shoe laces.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 10:51am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes, just joking mate. The Greymouth bar is probably the 2nd most dangerous bar in the country. No1 would be the flying jug in south Auckland.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DJracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 11:16am
DJracing View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Great vid smudge, will need to show Blake when he gets home from School .  Was certainly a primo day. Oh and just so you know , I have now replaced that Ariel Smile 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 12:35pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by DJracing DJracing wrote:

Great vid smudge, will need to show Blake when he gets home from School .  Was certainly a primo day. Oh and just so you know , I have now replaced that Ariel Smile 

Skoti made the video. I woukld still check the connection where the antenna lead goes into the VHF, unscrew it and give it a little spray of CRC 2-26
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 2:04pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes, just joking mate. The Greymouth bar is probably the 2nd most dangerous bar in the country. No1 would be the flying jug in south Auckland.
The flying jug has gone,along with the Bellbird in Manurewa.
Page  12>