The right way to vacuum seal fish

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The right way to vacuum seal fish
    Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 12:52pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 2:01pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

good info there - thanks for that
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 2:44pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would have never thought to do a brine soak first...
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 4:23pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good info thanks Cathelot.

I have a few Klip-It containers that I have found work very well for draining fish overnight before vacuum sealing.I also use the same container for defrosting, as it means the fish does not lie in any moisture it may give off.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 4:41pm
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Bounty Hunter Bounty Hunter wrote:

good info there - thanks for that

x2
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 4:56pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Out for a meat-hunting trip out of Kawhia tomorrow and those tips sound very sound and shall do the brine, pre-freeze then bag method.
Thanks for that👍
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 5:12pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pretty happy with what I do at the moment, so won't change it much, but agree that water is the enemy. It promotes spoiling of refrigerated fish and breakdown of frozen fish. I like to get my fillets as dry as possible before storage and for fillets in the fridge, have taken to placing them on a piece of kitchen towel. It's amazing how much water comes out of them and I never wash my fillets. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 5:15am
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Keith, where did you get those klip it containers with the drip tray ?
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 7:46am
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by viscount viscount wrote:

Hi Keith, where did you get those klip it containers with the drip tray ?

It is called a Sistema Klip-It Meat Keeper Plus. I got them at the Warehouse last but I have seen them at the supermarket chains e.g. Countdown, New World & Mitre10. Sistema is often half price at The Warehouse, so about $6 instead of $12 elsewhere.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 8:56am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

I agree those drip storage containers make a huge difference to both
pre freezing fillets & for keeping in prime condition prior to cooking fresh.

However when I purchased mine could not find any as large as shown in the pic, despite scouring likely outlets ( Warehouse & Plastic box included ... even phoned Systema so those I had to settle on were long enough but only 1/2 the width so usually have to use all three in order to have the capacity of the one showing on this thread. 

Time to begin another search maybe & would advise anyone else here thinking of buying any, to try source a larger width ... at least 80 cm
but preferably more.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 11:00am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

80cm is huge Bazza, not many fridges would hold that. You sure that size is right?
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 11:14am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Available at Briscoes and Payless Plastics.

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 2:08pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

80cm is huge Bazza, not many fridges would hold that. You sure that size is right?

Quite right smudge ... I am of an era of imperial measurement & to a certain extent is still ingrained so need to do a mental conversion which, as was the case this time the calculation is often wrong.

In this incidence was thinking 8 " which of course equals 20 cm not 80.

Smudge ... I hope you realize due to you querying my measuring that the fish I catch are going to be much smaller from hereon ! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 3:18pm
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not just the fish Bazza!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 4:54pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by SaltyC SaltyC wrote:

Not just the fish Bazza!

Shiissshh !!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishful Thinking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 8:42pm
Fishful Thinking View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice, we have free flowed on oven tray after dipping in salt water previously with good results, few more improvements possible it appears.
PhD: Pool Hall Diploma
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 8:49pm
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

One of the containers I use that has a drip tray is I think a tupperware bread saver, will take a pic when out at the beach over the weekend, works primo.

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 9:33am
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The Tupperware Bread saver is similar to others already shown in this thread, so have taken a photo of my Maxi Drain Bin, these are great when you have a big filleting day or are breaking down a venison.

The Drain Tray started out in the bottom of a 200 ltr drum under sausage skins, cut it down to fit the bin

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 10:31am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was in Payless Plastics yesterday, plenty of these on the shelves.

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wayno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 7:30pm
wayno View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Been looking all over for similar containers to those above with drain racks. Finally found some that I reckon will do the job in Briscoes Rotorua during the recent sales.
Approx. 8" square, not really deep, but the drain racks can easily be used with other trays.
Usual price $15.99 down to $11 + change

To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.
Page  12>