Big day tomorrow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big day tomorrow
    Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 7:38pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

My father in law Alan and MiL Carol have had some hard times. Both at 70+ and an unfortunate death by suicide of the boy over a year ago they raised who was disowned by Alan's daughter Disapprove has made their retirement years difficult.

Carol's son (my wife's brother) Darren is an annoying little guy at times but still a very good mate. He hasn't forgotten how I looked after him when he was a loser, stoner teenager.

He is now a successful businessman in Australia and bought Carol & Alan a house for them to live in - close to where we live.

A couple of months ago he gave Alan $10k to buy a boat. We found one that need some work but was basically sound. We had a couple of K's left over to fit it out as a fishermans boat.

A day at Burnsco in Manukau and with Alan bolting stuff on since then and tomorrow i'm going to connect some wires. Then we're going for a test run and a test fish Big smile

So looking forward to helping one of my old fishing mates out. Called round today to see what we need and the happiness from Carol & Alan was so apparent.

So happy to be able to help. Hope the boat floats though Big smile/

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 8:47pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 8:50pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's really nice that he looks after them like that. Often a change to a new country can release the potential in people - both getting away from bad influences but also being forced to think for yourself rather than falling into the same old safety nets can make a huge difference.

Hope it goes well tomorrow Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 9:02pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That is awesome
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 9:02pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

That's real good positive stuff
All the best for tomorrow smudge. let's know how it goes.
Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 9:16pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Thanks guys, will post an update. Hope we get it ready in time to have a quick fish before I'm on BBQ duties for our inaugural 'Biff Your Sh!t Out'surfcasting competition. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 9:19pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I really don't know what to say to that Smudge.  Some good stuff mixed in with some not so good.  
Have a great day tomorrow.  Is Darren in WA?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 9:30pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yeah a sad story alright  but they are ok now. Darren is in Brisbane and owns a landscaping buiness
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrWildabeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 9:52pm
MrWildabeast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Best of luck tomorrow 👍
Here fishy..fishy....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 10:04pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Thanks Mr W
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wayno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 10:25pm
wayno View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome stuff Smudge.
Tight lines and hope the day goes well for you all Thumbs Up

To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 11:32pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hope all goes well and weather plays ball. First trip is the best trip. Shake down then a list of changes for the rainy days. Plus the ABs game you have a good weekend ahead!
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 7:14am
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice One there......  don't forget the bung!!  good Luck
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 7:33am
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good stuff there Smudge, best wishes.

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 11:35am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

May many fish be landed
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 7:19pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Weather was a bit suss so we didn't take a rod. Got the boat sorted though. Not too many teething problems but a nice little boat. Bit rough when cold but otherwise ok, as long as Alan picks the good days it will serve him well. It is very stable for a 5m boat and as expected she slams a bit in the chop but overall it's not a bad little tub at all. At least it's fitted out with all the safety gear.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 8:16pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Time on the water - therapeutic. The rest is a bonus. good story smudge. Good luck to all.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 10:27am
Clutch View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great story Smudge. I'm sure Alan and hopefully Carol will get great enjoyment out of the boat.