Vehicle safety

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hermit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vehicle safety
    Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 5:46pm
Hermit View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I was just wondering if anyone would shed some light on this situation. Last time I left my vehicle parked up for a overnighter on Rotoiti, some @$&*!!!! thought they'd have more of a right to own what was inside my truck than me the owner!!!!
I've got a three day fishing tournament in November and plan to fish Rotoiti, and logistically traveling back to Tauranga with a 2 1/2 ton boat hanging on the back, doesn't ring my bells!
Has anyone got any thoughts on safe vehicle/trailer storage around the lake where I can leave my prized posessions?
Any help would really be appreciated.
Cheers
Connoisseur of fine beers and ales!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarmerBrowne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 6:45pm
FarmerBrowne View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Why not park at Otaramarae and anchor the boat in the same bay or tie up to the jetty last thing in the evening so you are handy to vehicle and can keep an eye on it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hermit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 7:57am
Hermit View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks FB, yes that's what I was thinking too. Either tie up there or tie the ex mother in law to the tow bar for security!!!😅😅😅
Connoisseur of fine beers and ales!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 4:01pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went to Huntly for a perch fish and noticed 3 fresh patches of broken glass on the deck. A woman pulled up and asked had I seen a handbag as her car was broken into at the previous afternoon.
Some real mongrels around, eh?😒
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 11:52am
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Hermit,

My view has always been that the north side of the lake (otaramarae etc) is less prone to break ins than the south side of the lake (Hinehopu, Gisborne Point etc). 

My advice would be to launch at Otaramarae, and instead of leaving your car and trailer in the carpark overnight perhaps find a nice grass verge down there outside a holiday home to park on (if the owners are home maybe just knock on the door and check its all good, if not just go for it). Heaps of people park their trailers around there when the ramps busy in summer anyway. 

We have a place at Otaramarae but unfortunately no trailer parking or grass verge out front.

At least this way any thieves might think you are staying at the bach you park outfront of and not risk it. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 8:21am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Let us know how it went Hermit
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 12:35pm
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I've parked overnight at Otaramarae a bunch of times with no worries. Spoke with a fella there one time who said there were break ins a few years back, but the locals knew who the culprits were, and paid them a visit with no worries since. True or not? Who knows.

I always do worry whether the car will get broken into there though, because there are plenty of main exit roads nearby that some of the other lakes don't have. But particularly during the summer months when the baches are full and there's plenty of other boaties about I'm a it more settled.