Sub forums in the Buy, Sell, Trade Forum?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sub forums in the Buy, Sell, Trade Forum?
    Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 4:46pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just floating it as an idea, as it would make items easier to find and also not get lost or the need to be bumped often.

Something like the below sub forums, Im not sure exact as I havnt studied it much, but ie;

Boats
Tackle
Auto
Miscellaneous

It seems a lot of the boats get drifted far back in the pages due to the vast number of tackle posts, and subsequently get a "bump".

It would be good from a UX (user expierience) perspective and for people selling larger items.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 4:49pm
neil_cb125t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Like the idea for sure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 5:24pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by neil_cb125t neil_cb125t wrote:

Like the idea for sure

So Ive been looking through our for sale thread and its "Grown" into a bad user experience by no fault, I think its outgrown its intended numbers and types of items. 

So just a suggestion, not bagging on it, I think its great we have won. But I think a few delineations in what is for sale will help people sell things and help people find things for sale. No need to get fancy on it and have too many sub forums.

Just an idea trying to contribute.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 5:36pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

FF I agree on some counts, but boats aren't high turn over items and when posted in BSE always have a trademe link as they sell far quicker on a bigger advertiser. Fishnet was never meant to sell boats fast but meant to provide a; Sell to its community, same with tackle it sells tackle...

As for auto, I don't know what you mean there...

And misc well general tackle, marine chandlery is misc in my opinion.Big smile
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 7:07pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yes I’d be happy for improvements on sell trade threads. It would help this awesome community of knowledgeable and learning fishers track items.Big smile 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 7:38pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I will ask Grunta if it can happen. Personally to me it doesn't sound too onerous as it is but then I seldom use that forum
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 9:21pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

I will ask Grunta if it can happen. Personally to me it doesn't sound too onerous as it is but then I seldom use that forum

Meaning, I am an old miser, tighter than a bull's bum in spring, I only visit tackle shops during end of year sales, op shops, garage sales R US! LOL
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 9:40pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Will have a look at options. Always keen to make things easier to find but we have to work within the scope of the proprietary software - that's the only constraint and it's not really geared for that kind of detailed categorisation.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 8:28am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

In the PHPBB  to be able to add sub forums is not a problem in the 'god' Admin settings.
 Just have to be careful about permissions set right, both in the that forum section and in each group/ user sections.

I dont see any problem of using the 'bump' . If a person wishes to bump they can...or not.
 The buy sell section is not extensive at any one time.
 Making extra sub forums will make presentation more bulky.
It will still present the same listings as now, but in a whole heap of extra sub forums...
 And still have to 'bump'

So end of the day will not in effect change anything except, more sub forums for a short list section.

While at it it, I can get to my pic album, select what is obsolete and hit delete.. nothing happens.
May mean something like a conflict of permissions. Permission to select and delete in album but not set to match in user and/ or groups (???)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 10:28am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Whilst on the subject maybe the fishing reports sector could be made more user friendly ... as was raised some time ago & the concept gained wide acceptance.

Most of us only want to be kept up to date with one or at the most possibly 4 or 5 localities & to find them requires scrolling thru heaps of posts to find them.

This could be rectified by simply listing various locations in "stickies" perhaps even in alphabetic order, so would be a simple matter to find the locations of interest.

Of course anyone for whatever reason wanted to continue topost as per exists now could do so without either system conflicting with the other.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 10:42am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A suggestion to regular users.
 I know many do this anyway.
 Set as always logged in " remember me " ticked
Now hit the " new posts" link at the top.

Note: this link is missing on several sections of the forums, is on most.

Now book mark that link.

Now every time you visit the forums you only see the latest posts since your last visit.
 If not logged in you will ge all the post from your last visit from that ip.

Making use of that function pretty well takes care of all issues from Buy sell to reports and others in between. WinkThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 11:45am
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

A suggestion to regular users.
 I know many do this anyway.
 Set as always logged in " remember me " ticked
Now hit the " new posts" link at the top.

Note: this link is missing on several sections of the forums, is on most.

Now book mark that link.

Now every time you visit the forums you only see the latest posts since your last visit.
 If not logged in you will ge all the post from your last visit from that ip.

Making use of that function pretty well takes care of all issues from Buy sell to reports and others in between. WinkThumbs Up
X2
This is the way to go .
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 12:15pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yip I think most of us do that Steps and new posts isn’t the issue. It’s items still for sale etc that get buried and seller has to go in and bump to get it noticed again. I don’t think anyone is drawing lines in ground saying must or do this. This site I believe likes user feed back to get the best user experience. If nothing can’t be done. Don’t care either way. Feed back was given. 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 6:24pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

It’s items still for sale etc that get buried and seller has to go in and bump to get it noticed again. I don’t think anyone is drawing lines in ground saying must or do this. This site I believe likes user feed back to get the best user experience. If nothing can’t be done. Don’t care either way. Feed back was given. 

Yep thats it. Is exactly the "Use Case" to improve the "UX" to make items that dont sell quickly not get pushed back to page 3 within days. Yes some are on trademe, but that is like saying, why bother putting them on here as well. IMO they are on here because we should be promoting the sale of boats amongst each other, likewise tackle obviously. Boats can take a month to sell as we all know, so they just get lost. 

I would think a tackle thread would be the largest set of items sold and puts the most amount of threads on the forum, could this be divided into rods, reels, terminal tackle, so these items also stand out rather than be pushed back pages. This way people also know where exactly to find what they are looking for rather than trawling 12 pages of live posts.

Miscellaneous Id imagine would be general fishing and boating equipment, which when posted just add to the chaos.

Its not a must do, just a suggestion as real deel has said. But I also agree with the fishing reports forums being broken up if possible. If they were to be pinned it would take up the entire first page which is not a good UX experience either.

Totally depends on our software of course. What platform are we running on?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 7:56pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For the thousands of members on here i think theres a serious lack of fishing reports posted. its actually got worse over the past few years. cant see why a new format is needed. Some facebook sites would have more posts in a few days than wot you would see on here in a month. In my opinion thats why alot  of members have vanished over the years. Likewise in the buy sell posts theres hardly enough posts to warrant having everthing in different catagories. Iv'e never had a problem scrolling through a week of new posts in this section. Its usually not that many.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 9:22pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was on a site where old threads were bumped, and people moaned that the current topics were difficult to find...I mean they were 7 or 8 threads down, and it was just too difficult for some to scroll...
It seems you just can't please everyone..Karens I tell you....
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 10:04pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Big -Dave Big -Dave wrote:

I was on a site where old threads were bumped, and people moaned that the current topics were difficult to find...I mean they were 7 or 8 threads down, and it was just too difficult for some to scroll...
It seems you just can't please everyone..Karens I tell you....

Yes but that is not the case here, posts are pages back and still open.

Perhaps a closed thread option to remove the post might help remove dead/sold posts. 

"Karens I tell you"

Whats that mean?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 10:09pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

For the thousands of members on here i think theres a serious lack of fishing reports posted. its actually got worse over the past few years.

There are a number of reasons for why that is happening. I can see your perspective, its not really what this thread was about, but I was just agreeing some key report threads are pushed back. Perhaps it doesnt need a re format, just collective individual reports in one thread, or reports collected by region, boat type, etc. Im not sure what the original proposal was so will leave that for another thread for someone to raise the concerns with the report threads, but appreciate what you are saying Geoff. :-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 9:18am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fiz, I don't think you ever buy anything, so I don't see this as an issue for anyone but you.

As Steps suggested, I use the "New Posts" facility and this negates the need for any sub forums in the BSE part.
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 10:48am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

We will be leaving the BS&E forums as it is. Thanks for the suggestions though
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Page  12>