Spin Reel advice req - Horizontal jigging

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spin Reel advice req - Horizontal jigging
    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 8:48pm
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have a Fin Nor BT-80 i brought for live baiting. Its a basic kind of reel but worked ok for that. I saw a video from Adrift Fishing showing horrizontal jigging technique which i tried and enjoy alot. I really like the buzz of physical fishing, the bigger the fish and the shallower the water the better. The thing is my lightly used BT-80 cant handle it. I blew out a bail arm bearing the second day i tried horizontal jigging. I replaced it , then the second one went last weekend. My braid got chewed up on the bail arm and i lost a nice fish. So i'm on the hunt for a new spin reel that can handle it better. I mostly fish overheads so dont know spin reels very well at all, i have never owned a really nice one. Budget is 500 bucks max and will consider second hand to get a better reel for that. I almost brought a Daiwa Saltist 6500h at $445 from marine deals immediately getting off the water on Saterday but managed to calm down a bit and ask for advice here so I dont make the BT-80 mistake twice. The rod I have for the reel is a Zeikel Switch 2-4 Combo - 5’1 & 8’tip . Any advice appreciated on the Daiwa i mentioned or others. thanks fellas.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 9:06pm
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Check out the 2020 Shimano Saragossa in 14000 size. Or if Daiwa is your thing there is a new BG coming out
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 5:26pm
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for the tip, I’ll take a look at those.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 6:43pm
rockz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Rod is PE 2-4? You could even go down to an Saragosa 8000HG.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 6:35am
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Saragosa 2020’s are all sold out. Doh.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 7:13am
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Some shops have the new model 8000 swa hg on preorder due early December.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 5:08pm
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thx for the reel tip fellas. Its excellent
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 9:07pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have a look at a new penn 6500 spin fisher .. only couple off hundred bucks. May seem agricultural but precision built reel (compared to a finor) will handle water and engineered well and what I just recommended for my nephew and he’s bought one.  More bling ain’t necessarily better. Good solid tools are what you need. That certainly looks like one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 9:15pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was just going to say that I'm very impressed by the Penn Slammer III reels.