440 Russians imported to man Sealord trawlers

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 440 Russians imported to man Sealord trawlers
    Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 7:56pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Why can't Kiwis be trained... or is it another slave labour area, perhaps?

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the croc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 8:42pm
the croc View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

It's a hard job are with a lot of time away from home and it doesn't suit a lot of people. Plus you have to be able to pass a drug test.

Pay is pretty decent on kiwi deep sea vessels but even they struggle to attract and maintain kiwi crew.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 8:49pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

In a nutshell croc.
Perfectly sums up the state right now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 8:51pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You mean those who own the quota, don't want to work it.?
Now there is a surprise...
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote churbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 9:20pm
churbay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

They will be crewing russian jv vessels.
Quite different systems and technology compared to kiwi vessels.
I know what I'd rather work on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 11:04pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by the croc the croc wrote:

It's a hard job are with a lot of time away from home and it doesn't suit a lot of people. Plus you have to be able to pass a drug test.

Pay is pretty decent on kiwi deep sea vessels but even they struggle to attract and maintain kiwi crew.
3000 truck drivers short,pay is good as well. fruit picking pay can be good if one is prepared to work or move from the comfort zone.With 200  a day supposedly being or becoming unemployed you would think that $28 ph fruit picking or what industry says one can earn,people would be knocking the door down.
Sign of the times??we wonder why we import labour.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote the croc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 11:30pm
the croc View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

We stayed in a backpackers a few years back in Taihape. A shearing gang from Hawkes Bay was staying there at the same time. They were telling me they work the whole central North Island now as most of the small towns are too methed out to provide much local labour. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 11:02am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

read a story on fruit pickers as also thought money was good why is it hard to get pickers. 
Wages can be way lower than minimum wage as most contract and paid per bin which if you run and go flat out you may get close to minimum. Accomodation which is more often barbaric charged at high rates. 6-7 days a week long day’s from early starts getting scratched up in cold pouring rain And wind for hour after hour day after day being barked at and belittled. Having pays ripped off, being given the worst jobs if you complain about anything with no job security being let go if you take a sick day dealing with chemicals that are banned in other countries etc. 

It doesn’t paint the rose coloured glasses of swaying through sun filtered meadows singing uplifting songs smiling at bees as they play in flowers around you. The industry struggles to get workers from 3rd world countries cause the actual horror stories have filtered back.

That was a big brush i tarred with obviously a few farms aren’t that bad but all will have oat least one of the above.

I worked orchards during holidays and school breaks growing up and didn’t earn much but as my folks learned instilled hard work ethic and sacrifice. But as an adult I wouldn’t expect anyone else unless paid more and having a capable and strong gov group who mediated and ensured you weren’t ripped off, housed in heathy accomodation, treated better than slaves and safely.

It’s not a industry for the vulnerable ie can’t speak English, not familiar with modern world and people who don’t speak the truth.

The industry has been a weeping sore for decades on fair go , legal cases etcetc
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 11:31am
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I picked fruit in Hawkes Bay for a couple of summers. Not the sort of job I'd want as an adult but was perfect for what i was into back then and waaaay better than working in restaurants which i also did over winter. I lived at my Grandfathers but had mates in a campground.  We all brought crappy cars after a month or so of picking and drove off somewhere else.  Minimum wage stuff but no responsibilities back then. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the croc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 2:28pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 3:25pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

And now it seems a whole bunch have just tested positive for covid.- according to nz herald
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 3:47pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Stuff:

"Sealord, Independent Fisheries and Maruha Nichiro chartered the flight that landed last week. The three companies are footing the bill for the cost of isolating the fishers."

So, I wonder who will foot the bill for the hospital care that will likely be required.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 5:04pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 5:10pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yup.
It appears they brought n more than just experience. LOL
As for the companies paying for their quarantine/flights et al.
That is a bit disingenuous to put it politely.
They may have to pay it up front, however using various legal yet morally bankrupt loop holes, at the end of the accounting day it will cost them nothing.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sposman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 10:51pm
sposman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

They are all infected with covid, we can all thank Sealord and Sanford for the next lockdown, Corporate greed out of control
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 5:43am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

But you want those freshly frozen crumbed Hoki fillets!

Just saying anything hands on work wise is becoming a real problem for NZ.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 6:57am
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nay. I want them not muppet. But I do hope they recover without complications. 400+ Russians. Wonder why they couldn’t be more specific with an exact number and had to bang on the + ? Sounds very Russian. I am lost for words there is not more young kiwis keen for a job at sea. Especially now with hospitality jobs doing not so great. Does anyone have a link to any job adverts for these positions ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote churbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 7:16am
churbay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

They operating the old russian trawlers that are permanently based here.
Ive done observer trips on them. Very different systems to how the kiwi boats operate.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 7:56am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

God I don't want them either Sanchez lol

Build our own boats and fish our own fish. But I guess that has to cost the tax payer?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 8:57am
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

cost of charter plane tickets both ways @ conservative 4k per trip - 3,200,000 
cost of quarantine x 400  - 1,600,000

thats approx 4.8 million just to get them on the boats and as V8 said that will be deducted from any tax they have to pay. . .  Plus alot of their wages go back off shore. Plus now the tax payer is stumping up for the resulting outbreak

I am staggered they wouldn't spend that on finding and training 400+ local fellas.  18+ hour days in my industry for short periods of time and weeks away from family is common. There are a lot of kiwis not on crack, and not afraid of hard work. They should be finding them. 

Page  12>