440 Russians imported to man Sealord trawlers

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 10:09am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Sanchez Sanchez wrote:

cost of charter plane tickets both ways @ conservative 4k per trip - 3,200,000 
cost of quarantine x 400  - 1,600,000

thats approx 4.8 million just to get them on the boats and as V8 said that will be deducted from any tax they have to pay. . .  Plus alot of their wages go back off shore. Plus now the tax payer is stumping up for the resulting outbreak

I am staggered they wouldn't spend that on finding and training 400+ local fellas.  18+ hour days in my industry for short periods of time and weeks away from family is common. There are a lot of kiwis not on crack, and not afraid of hard work. They should be finding them. 

i think you will find that they dont pay anywhere near 3.2million for a plane trip here.
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 10:24am
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Let's work it out then. I'm guessing. Based from what I have read 4k for a ticket to Europe is what it costs at the moment. They charted a plane? There'll be a ton of extra costs involved on that. But like I said. I'm just guessing. Let me know what you think it is.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 10:27am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Either way Sanchez it should be done by Kiwis I totally agree with you.
Plus what is wrong with whoever owns the quota investing in boats and local workers?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 1:18pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Plus what is wrong with whoever owns the quota investing in boats and local workers?
Here you go "Mupet" 31 jobs of all sorts,cooks,skippers,oilers etc

6 weeks at,no cell phone?/Hmm that be a problem
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 4:33pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I heard today, not sure if true but sounds right... that two Sandford boats are Russian built so russian systema nd alsorts requiring russian crew to run it... 

So sound business buying two ships that Kiwis cannot operate!Ouch
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 5:02pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

I heard today, not sure if true but sounds right... that two Sandford boats are Russian built so russian systema nd alsorts requiring russian crew to run it... 

Or shrewd business.
Maybe picking them up cheap and being able to crew them with cheap labour.
The boats and their crew may not need to be covered by New Zealand's minimum wage and draconian/crippling health and safety regime.
Not having to abide by our H&S would be a boon/saving for any business.
Of course they maybe covered.
I do not know.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 5:03pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Here you go "Mupet" 31 jobs of all sorts,cooks,skippers,oilers etc

6 weeks at,no cell phone?/Hmm that be a problem

Heard the guy on the radio saying they were almost impossible to fill. He believed it was not laziness but just people don't want to do it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the croc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 10:23pm
the croc View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by v8-coupe v8-coupe wrote:

Or shrewd business.
The boats and their crew may not need to be covered by New Zealand's minimum wage and draconian/crippling health and safety regime.
I do not know.

All vessels fishing in New Zealand EEZ must be Kiwi flagged which means they come under our health and safety and labour laws, including minimum wage.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the croc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 10:38pm
the croc View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 6:32am
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

90k is pretty decent. 45 less so. Must frustrate the hell out of Sealord HR that the phone is not ringing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the croc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 8:14am
the croc View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah that's entry level. Not bad for a 16 or 17 yo with 3 months training.

I met one guy that got given the choice between juvenile detention and fishing school. He chose fishing school, got himself a career and out of a path to prison, and was on $65K by the age of 17.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 8:40am
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great result croc. Should be the best conditions in a long while to secure local workforce. Mining is similar in a lot of ways to fishing in terms of remote locations and long shifts on and off site. . . and jobs are leaking from that industry. Lots of kiwis out of work in Aust. Embarrassing there’s not enough interest considering.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 5:23pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by the croc the croc wrote:

Originally posted by v8-coupe v8-coupe wrote:

Or shrewd business.
I do not know.

All vessels fishing in New Zealand EEZ must be Kiwi flagged which means they come under our health and safety and labour laws, including minimum wage.

Thanks Croc. Thumbs Up
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 10:04pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

which Is easily navigated by paying crew % of catch or put on contract.  There is always a work around in the scramble for profit/money. Serving drinks in a bar to happy people is a more desirable way of earning minimum wage I reckon. 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coolsilver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 12:58pm
coolsilver View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Your dead right muppet. Sooooo many people don't want to get there hands dirty these days
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 1:24pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I know I don’t 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Page  <12