20lb Snaps Galore! Mokau...

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (7) Likes(7)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 20lb Snaps Galore! Mokau...
    Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 5:48am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi All, Had a memorable last few days fishing with Brother Mick. My goal was to catch a few goodies to enter in October only Hirepool National measure comp. First day out weather and sea amazing! We were anchored up close in, workups, birds everywhere around us. It just felt FishyThumbs Up. Big Kahawai below boat to catch when ever you wanted some just drop Sabiki's and Bang!. Straylines set it was an hour or so before any Snaps showed up. First half dozen 5-6 kg models before the bigger ones showed up. I was first to land a 20, fat fish went 76.5. Kept this one for a friend to smoke. Next few hours a few more similar size and length all released. Then finally i hooked a bigger model, time to role out the measure again! went 79cm. Unfortunately didn't survive releasing, weighed at home 10.05 kg. Heading into the next day was much the same numerous 20's caught and released before a big Kahawai head bait finally sneared me a bigger oneBig smile Could tell straight away it was going to the measure mat before landing it in the net! Quickly unfolded mat as Mick dehooked while boatside in water. A few shots and back in it took off like a rocket! 82.5 long Id'e say around 11 kg. Had a quiet few hours after that but during that time i caught three giant Mackeralls on Sabiki just below boat. Have never seen, caught or heard of them off here beforeLOL. Also landed a 59.5 cm Kahawai during catching Kahawai for bait. Photo's below, Snaps from day one on beach,Mick just before releasing a nice Snap, Day two- The biggest one on measure then two shots releasing it! final photo one of the huge Macs i got.Beer all
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 6:09am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Wow, that's amazing fishing Geoff.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 6:29am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Great session Geoff
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 7:11am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Wow, that's amazing fishing Geoff.
Cheers Smudge...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 7:13am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kaveman kaveman wrote:

Great session Geoff
Thanks kaveman! hope i can get another crack at them before end of Month...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 7:50am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one Geoff, I feel like I'm overdue for a Mokau trip.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 8:40am
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great stuff Geoff. And so glad to hear there was finally a decent weather window. May there be another before 31 October
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 8:44am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice to see as many as possible going back. Catching just legal snapper will be a novelty for you Geoff. I can imagine the screaming and jumping with high fives when a 32cm snapper comes over the side.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 10:22am
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Well done Geoff, must say i wondered when the next report was coming ive been holding out. Did you happen to try one of the big Mac's for bait?

Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 3:40pm
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great fishing Geoff Thumbs Up

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 4:59pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

Nice one Geoff, I feel like I'm overdue for a Mokau trip.
Yep be good to catch up again CraigBeer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 5:01pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Keith C Keith C wrote:

Great stuff Geoff. And so glad to hear there was finally a decent weather window. May there be another before 31 October
Thanks Keith, end of this week looking pretty good again...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 5:05pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

nice to see as many as possible going back. Catching just legal snapper will be a novelty for you Geoff. I can imagine the screaming and jumping with high fives when a 32cm snapper comes over the side.
Hi Reel Deal, if you change the 32 cm into 32 lb's that'll do it!LOLLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 5:09pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by CrayZfish CrayZfish wrote:

Well done Geoff, must say i wondered when the next report was coming ive been holding out. Did you happen to try one of the big Mac's for bait?

Cheers Stephen! My Neighbour ate one. The other two saving for bait next trip out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 5:11pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by feeder feeder wrote:

Great fishing Geoff Thumbs Up

Cheers
Thanks Dennis! Good to catch up the other day. How was the Whitebait? Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 7:14pm
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Epic stuff Geoff.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 7:23pm
Johnny Watson View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Unreal Geoff! Great write up too 👌
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 8:01pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Johnny Watson Johnny Watson wrote:

Unreal Geoff! Great write up too 👌
Thanks for the replies and kind words Johnny & Sanchez, much appreciated. Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 9:32pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wow I thought a Mac I caught a couple of years ago was a horse but that one would eat it whole. Oh and average catching on the snaps. Just kidding EPIC!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 9:45pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fantastic fishing, Geoff. When you enter a comp they may as well just hand out the trophy then and there!

After a good session, the stern of your boat looks like something out of a horror movie Big smile - no hose ban down your way, thankfully!
Page  12>