Stabicraft 389 same as 1410? What else to watch ?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stabicraft 389 same as 1410? What else to watch ?
    Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 5:35pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I see the frontier started with the frontier, did the hull change at all for the 1410? I know the new 1450 uses the newer arrow hull.

Also when did they start filling the pontoons with foam to reduce noise?

The 389 seems like a good boat, but at ~$12k quite limited in supply (ie asking ~$14k). Used boats in NZ often seem to go for what they cost new. 

With the newer more roomy 1450 package only being $19990 with a 30hp I wish i had the spare cash but its all going into the new mortgage for a couple of years.

I could buy a Mac or similar RIB for $8k.

Am keeping eye out for frewza high side models, FC430, Quintrex and Stacer 3mm gullwing/reverse chine models as well. Just something cheap but easy to push around on trailer that cuts the chop and is stable at rest. The 445 or SN146 is a bit weighty.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waihibeacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 6:43pm
waihibeacher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nz boat market it’s bloody strange. Boats seem to just continually increase in price each year.

I recently down sized from 6M mclay to a 1410.
When listing I realised they are selling for the same price I got it for brand new 6 years ago.
Put it up and it was gone about a week later.

I picked it up second hand 1 year old for 1410 that had couple small extras that I have now kitted our that was 14k.
There’s definitely deals out there it’s just being quick enough to grab them. When I was looking there was still afew 1410’s in whangarei and possibly Taupo with 30hp’s for $16,999 that I talked to them and I no would have gone for 16 or less.

The 1410 is an awesome boat that I think in afew months have used more than the entire time I had my old boat.
2 mins to load up, easy solo launch, extremely stable and hauls with 1,2 people and super easy to clean.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 7:32pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for the info mate.

I agree, Ive owned large launches and big bertram trailer flybridge cruisers and since Ive had RIBs for the last decade or so Ive used them far more than I ever did any of my big glass boats. Ideal for popping out at 5am before work, back in by 7am. Nothing beats living right near a boat ramp and having a no fuss boat imo. So thats why I think even an older Ramco might do the job. I sometimes get 6-8km off the coast though, but have islands half way in between etc.

Yes NZ boats are mad. I dont mind paying 20% less for a 3 year old boat but not the same price as new for a 13yr old boat haha. Will see how the market pans out, was looking over winter, but seems everyone had stopped selling due to covid dropping prices. 

The new aussie tinnies are a good buy, but they dont have as good welding imo, they are built to produce profit. Still a bit of silicone in the gunnels etc fixes any minor issues. I saw a mint 4.5m coast runner with the outboard on a marlin board type bracket, they are the new blade hulls with 3mm ally all round, went for much less than new price, was 2014 model and sold for 50% new price, so that might be the way to go, beamy and reverse chines, much like FC boats. Stacer is the same.

Im sure it is just a waiting game :-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 4:54pm
neil_cb125t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Its seems boat sales are through the roof, borrowing money is easy and no one can go overseas so it seems people are spending there play money on doing fun stuff in NZ.

As demand is higher and new boats have longish wait times (if they are being built) then second hand ones are getting snapped up ASAP.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 5:47pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by neil_cb125t neil_cb125t wrote:

Its seems boat sales are through the roof, borrowing money is easy and no one can go overseas so it seems people are spending there play money on doing fun stuff in NZ.

As demand is higher and new boats have longish wait times (if they are being built) then second hand ones are getting snapped up ASAP.

this does seem to be the 'word on the street' as far as ive heard too

the low interest rates on offer against houses has created an inflationary environment

i cant see boats getting any cheaper - in terms of sticker price - any time soon - 2nd hand included...
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 5:51pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I sold mine last week, I reckon there will be a few for sale come jan feb after Christmas hurts
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 10:48pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes indeed. It is mad. People stopped selling during winter as winter + covid = no sales or half price.

Now it seems people want more than new prices for boats.

I think the market will return to normal ones more boats flood the market.

Why pay $24k for a 2015 1410 explorer when the new 2020 1450 package is $20k and has the better riding arrow hull and better design for rod holders and seating. 

Then you get people who have bought a new engine and think thats something the new buyer should pay for even though its used. Madness. You drive it home and you lose $8k. No thanks.

I think I will have to be patient.

Outside stabicraft, how does the senator boats ride? The Frewza sound similar. Ive seen Surtees 470's for $20k. I think that could be a good boat for getting wide on a nice day.

Originally posted by spin king spin king wrote:

I sold mine last week, I reckon there will be a few for sale come jan feb after Christmas hurts

Are you replacing with a new boat?

Did you get a good price for yours?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 12:41pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ive noticed the Senator IS380 is a lot cheaper than the other 13-14ft ally pontoons. It is high sided, looks very similar to the Stabi.

Is there anything wrong with Senator boats? Is the welding as good as most?

$16k for a new package, vs $20k for the Stabi. Although the new 1450 stabi does look good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 7:08pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Don't overthink it Fiz! A mate has a 1450 Stabi with the Arrow hull thingy. Great little boat. Buy a boat, any boat and make the most of it. The other boats are all good too.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Perchase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 7:19pm
Perchase View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I used to have a senator 470 , good wee boat , soft ride, well made but my mates stabi 490 was way dryer, if a bit of a harder ride
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Perchase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 7:28pm
Perchase View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

It was interesting to be able to compare the two on the same trip. Also we did a week up north in a friends frewza f14 centre console and it was awesome, but I’d definitely get a side console on a boat that small for ease of getting up the front.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 8:22pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

new boats have longish wait times (if they are being built)

I know all about that!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 9:37pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Perchase Perchase wrote:

I used to have a senator 470 , good wee boat , soft ride, well made but my mates stabi 490 was way dryer, if a bit of a harder ride

490 stabi would be right up with best boats Stabi have ever made... but I’m biased.  Also older 5.59 and the earlier 5.5 xtcs were pretty good too, still few around
Look at welding, not bad (as in perfectIon) for twenty years plus hulls, Mine is still perfect and boat has been thrashed.
And earlier ones had right beam for length, full pontoons meant can carry more load and less water can swish around in a hull if swamped, unlike some off chubbier wider models after that. Most also had scuppers to drain water under power.
Some would say you pay for stabi name, whereas most owners with experience with their boats would say you pay for quality to adventure with confidence.
The others, apart from Kiwicraft maybe, are just copies.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 8:56am
Titanium
Titanium

those older stabicraft must have some of the best resale around - must be for a reason
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 5:13pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Bounty Hunter Bounty Hunter wrote:

does older stabicraft must have some of the best resale around - must be for a reason

It is NUTS BH, some of the 1410s are selling for more than what they cost new or a new 1450. Because nobody was selling during Covid due to boats not selling, it created a problem with supply and demand. And then as you mentioned, low interest rates, people spending stupid money. But it will settle down imo.

Im not paying more for a 7yr old 1410 than a brand new 1450 costs haha.

Only issue there is wait times. But the thing is, we are in this house for ~4 years, and the 1450 is the ideal size. So Im in no rush, I know what I want. There are some side and centre console 1450s available though.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 6:40pm
Titanium
Titanium

nah - no one likes the 1410s - a back breaking ride as a dinghy or no room as a centre console and an almost dangerously sloping floor

i was refering to proper 'older' stabis that had the round pontoons - esp. like the 490s
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 6:55pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Bounty Hunter Bounty Hunter wrote:

i was refering to proper 'older' stabis that had the round pontoons - esp. like the 490s

Ive seen a lot of the older hulls. They dont put me off. The ride quality is most important.

The Stabis definitely seem to hold their value.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 10:01pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

The perfect boat hasn't been made yet Fiz. If you wait for that boat to be built you will never go fishing. Buy one now and any gremlins will be sorted for summer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 10:09pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My turn again. Some of best rock fishos I know just bought a 1450 with newer arrow pontoons, I am keen to see it in flesh. Is powered by new 40 3 cylinder merc .. 2 stroke tiller steer.
They are confident with two POB with considerable gear and bait and burley, it will hum to go the front side  Kawau, and they likely be always beach launching.
Their last boat was similar sized stacer which didn’t cut mustard. Bit rough by all accounts in the inevitable chop... which they would have encountered regularly coming back late arvo from their fishing spots.

Reckon they’ll be right with this boat.. but I am biased.  Should be a machine.  They have had all sorts boats previously in this size range, including inflatables to do this sort of thing.
Looked at a lot of boats before buying this one!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 10:27pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

My mates 1450 only has a 20 E Tec on it and it's goes ok with two on boat. I was surprised how well it went. They absolutely fly fly with a 40
Page  12>