2 hour battle on 1 kg line.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (5) Likes(5)   Quote Mayhem_Fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 hour battle on 1 kg line.
    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 9:22am
Mayhem_Fishing View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

With a average weather forecast out from Tauranga we made the drive down to Whakatane and launched from there. 

Made it out to our spot and managed one snapper of about 2 kilos before the kahawai showed up and kicked us off the spot.  We moved out a bit deeper and within 5 minutes I had a run, clicked the reel into gear and it started peeling line. We were anchored at the time and luckily the fish was running in the opposite direction but after 15 - 20 minutes of getting no where we had to pull up the anchor and chase it down. At this stage we though it could’ve been a school shark, snapper or a kahawai. I’d previously fought a few fish on 1 and 2 kg line for an hour only for them to turn out to be a shark so I was hoping that this wasn’t going to be a repeat. After 2 hours we witnessed the fish pop up out the back of the boat and could see that it was a snapper. Was super stoked to see that it was a snapper and the size of it! I’d spent the last two years targeting that specific fish on 1kg to hopefully claim a nz record for junior men. The snapper went 12 pound and is a pending nz record for junior men on 1 kg line!Smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 9:54am
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

fantastic mate, excellent catch...2hrs on very skinny line.. epic

what rod & reel did you use
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 10:04am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

great effort for skinny line. 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sea reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 7:08pm
sea reason View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well done young man,being on a fish for that amount of time thinking about what can go wrong and then landing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 9:19pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You are showing us some more fine angling skills Hayden.  Fishing with spider web thread takes a lot of planning, patience and good teamwork.  Well done.
2hrs on 1kg line is an eternity. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 9:26pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done Hayds, well and truly beaten my best snapper on 1 kg, keen to hear your story tomorrow morning when come around with the old man for a coffee.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 9:35pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done 👍
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 9:12am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great effort for anyone, then throw young guy , dedicated attitude and patience well beyond most of your age...
Huge achievement.
And also to your parents/family to put such things in your head.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 9:31am
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Top show Hayds, and sounds like you and Mike worked brilliant as a team again.
So whats next ?
Part time Devils Advocate, Fulltime procrastinator
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 9:44am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Well done.  Showed maturity well beyond your years to land that!  Liked
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!